December 15, 2021 rate increases | Page 3 | Hubert Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
December 15, 2021 rate increases
January 14, 2022
7:05 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1159
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Ah, you wish to remain under the CIBC CDIC coverage limits. Thanks for the explanation.

FYI, the CIBC Escalating Rate GIC (5 year) can be found here:
https://www.cibc.com/en/interest-rates/gic-rates.html
cibc.JPG
sf-cool

January 15, 2022
9:29 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

Loonie said
By email:

"Rate Update

We'd just like to share that the last day to take advantage of our 5-year term special at 3.00% is Monday, January 17, 2022. The new rate will take effect on Tuesday, January 18, 2022, at 12:00 AM CST.

Don't miss out - get in touch today!

Our term rates for both registered and non-registered products (effective January 18) are also changing and will be as follows:

1-year term - 2.00% average (NO CHANGE)

2-year term - 1.75% (NEW)

3-year term - 1.90% (NEW)

4-year term - 2.05% (NEW)

5-year term - 2.25% (NEW)

The quarterly breakdown of our 1-year term is as follows:

The first three months: 1.85%

Months four to six: 1.95%

Months seven to nine: 2.05%

The last three months: 2.15%

*All rates are subject to change."  

In my opinion, I fear that Hubert, once their merger is done, will then become one of those huge banking companies with very mediocre deposit interest rates. The new adjustment of their rates, starting on Monday, may be an indicator of their intent. Enjoy those 3% GIC rates for now, but I think this company will, in the future be a laggard in this market rather than the trend setter it once was.

January 15, 2022
10:09 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

I think the current rate adjustments reflect the current situation. They probably got all the takers they could handle for 3%. They did say initially that it was a "limited time offer", and it is an outlier rate.

That said, I too am fearful that the merger will be the harbinger of a descent into mediocrity. Hubert/Sunova will be the junior partner in the merger. I would hate to lose their excellent customer service, which is one of the best of any FI I have dealt with.

January 15, 2022
11:04 am
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1473

gicjunkie said

In my opinion, I fear that Hubert, once their merger is done, will then become one of those huge banking companies with very mediocre deposit interest rates. The new adjustment of their rates, starting on Monday, may be an indicator of their intent. Enjoy those 3% GIC rates for now, but I think this company will, in the future be a laggard in this market rather than the trend setter it once was.  

Interesting that 2 & 4 yr rates are up while 3 and 5 are down ...

CGO
January 15, 2022
11:20 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6745

Access CU is the largest of the three credit unions in the merger proposal. The merged CU will carry the Access name.

Access CU has the online division Accelerate Financial. Hubert's rates as of January 18 are not that different from Accelerate's rates, except for that cashable one-year term:

Savings 1 year 2 year 3 year 4 year 5 year
Accelerate 1.10% 1.40% 1.60% 1.90% 2.00% 2.20%
Hubert 1.25% 2.00% 1.75% 1.90% 2.05% 2.25%

Not keen if the Hubert HISA would be converted to an Accelerate Savings account. The Accelerate account offers only one free withdrawal a month. $1 fee for each debit transaction after that.

January 15, 2022
11:37 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

cgouimet said

Interesting that 2 & 4 yr rates are up while 3 and 5 are down ...  

True, but they are still way behind the trend setting rates in most categories of GICs. They didn't used to be like that.

January 15, 2022
11:44 am
cgouimet
Members

gicjunkie said

True, but they are still way behind the trend setting rates in most categories of GICs. They didn't used to be like that.  

OK.

All my gic's are staggered 1 yr quarterlies ...

CGO
January 15, 2022
12:20 pm
Loonie
Members

Actually, Accelerate's rates are almost always lower than Hubert's. This is the case as of Jan 18 as well, where four out of five terms are better with Hubert.
In addition, Access/Accelerate charges transfer fees whereas Hubert does not.

That said, the rates in MB have not been very good the last year or so. I suspect this is significantly attributable to downturn in MB economy due to drought etc. It's a largely agricultural province.

January 15, 2022
1:07 pm
cgouimet
Members

Loonie said
Actually, Accelerate's rates are almost always lower than Hubert's. This is the case as of Jan 18 as well, where four out of five terms are better with Hubert.
In addition, Access/Accelerate charges transfer fees whereas Hubert does not.  

I'm hopeful that the merger will not negatively impact Hubert's offerings to its members/customers...

CGO
January 18, 2022
9:37 pm
Loonie
Members

If you live in MB, you can still get the 3% five year rate from Hubert's parents, Sunova CU, until the end of the month.
https://www.sunovacu.ca/rates/

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.