HSBC offers bonus (to 3.75%) on new deposits | HSBC | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
HSBC offers bonus (to 3.75%) on new deposits
November 24, 2008
3:38 pm
Dave
Guests

HSBC Direct is giving a 1.0% interest bonus on new deposits until March 1. This brings its current interest rate to effectively 3.75%, at least for new money.

Details on its web page.

Dave

November 24, 2008
4:57 pm
Tom
Guests

Thanks HSBC to screw your current customers. I am moving my money out! If you want it back give me this promotion!

November 24, 2008
5:08 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'm not sure, but based on the wording that says "new deposits" it doesn't seem to be limited to new accounts only 🙂

November 24, 2008
5:20 pm
Tom
Guests

Yes, it is also for current customers but for new money only. so if you have your money with them you get 2.75% ... how can you get new money if you already have it now with them!

November 24, 2008
5:28 pm
Peter
Admin

Right, good point. Sadly, the banks aren't giving us any reasons to be loyal -- it seems as though they'd rather have us switch endlessly.

November 24, 2008
5:44 pm
Palos Green
Guests

right, don't think you can withdraw your money and then re-deposit it to get the rate promotion, as after reading the fine print, within the fine print reveals:

All New Money deposited into any Promotional Account during the Promotional Period will earn daily interest at the Bonus Rate from the day of deposit until the end of the Promotional Period, provided:

* (i) the customer's Net Overall Deposit Balance during the Promotional Period is greater than the customer's Net Overall Deposit Balance as at November 21, 2008; and
* (ii) there have been no withdrawals from any of the customer's Deposit Accounts

If, on any Promotional Day, a customer's Net Overall Deposit Balance is less than the customer's Net Overall Deposit Balance on November 21, 2008, the

Bonus Rate will not be applied to any New Money in the customer's Promotional Account(s)
November 24, 2008
5:58 pm
Tom
Guests

They are not smart ... They screw their customers twice by decreasing the rates and to not allow them "mostly" enjoy their new promo! The current rate is less than many places around ... CTFS or citizens or PCFS ... why would someone stay with them!

November 26, 2008
2:19 pm
Maxime
Guests

I learned about HSBC's politics last year so this year I kept all my money in my ICICI account.

Now I'm moving all my money from ICICI to HSBC. Took advantage of the 3.40% rate of ICICI while it lasted, now going for a 3.75% rate!

No loyalty at all, I'm just going where they give me a bang for my buck.

November 26, 2008
3:36 pm
djino
Ottawa (Gatineau, Qc Area)
Members
Forum Posts: 310

I believe this rule only applies to the account.

Just do like I did with the last promo they had, open up another Direct Savings account and move the money there.

djino
"<-- opens up his 3rd Direct Savings Account :)"

November 26, 2008
4:36 pm
Tom
Guests

djino:
They are not stupid to accept this or everyone just move all of his money to a new account and gets the 3.75% for all what he has! OK, Can I close my account and open another one and then get the 3.75% ??? NO. NO. NO. This will not work. Their idea is to screw their current customers and collect more new money ... Can you please tell me how your idea can help them?

December 1, 2008
8:42 pm
Jan
Guests

Djino:

Do they allow you to open multiple accounts under the same name? YOu just have to go through the procedure of writing a cheque and all?

December 2, 2008
11:55 am
djino
Ottawa (Gatineau, Qc Area)
Members
Forum Posts: 310

I suppose I could be wrong in my loophole attempt at getting 3.75%. But it doesn't hurt to try.

Jan: You can create a new account by simply loggin into your existing HSBC profile and click on create new account.

djino
"yup"

December 9, 2008
7:09 pm
Max
Members
Forum Posts: 208

Since the Banks of Canada rate has lowered, if HSBC lowers it's promotional rate too, do we still get 3.75% over our savings till March 12th or we will get the basic rate +1.00%?

The day you become free is the day you work for fun.

December 9, 2008
7:26 pm
Peter
Admin

Max said:

Since the Banks of Canada rate has lowered, if HSBC lowers it's promotional rate too, do we still get 3.75% over our savings till March 12th or we will get the basic rate +1.00%?

Their fine print makes it seems as though it's basic rate + 1%:

"Comprised of the current everyday rate of 2.75% + bonus rate of 1.00% on new deposits up to $500,000 from November 24, 2008 - March 16, 2009. Everyday rate subject to change without notice."

December 11, 2008
10:05 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230

Actually, the "new money" bonus applies to existing accounts. Your overall deposit balance based on your term deposits, savings and chequing accounts with HSBC was taken November 21st, 2008, and any monies over that balance in your account after that date will receive the bonus interest. Any times it is less than that balance, no bonus interest will be paid.

Hopefully that helps,
Doug

December 12, 2008
1:18 pm
Earl
Guests

Just called HSBC and they can drop the everyday rate (2.75%) any time, so there's no guarantee you're going to get the full 3.75% for long. I just had that happen to me at TD Canada Trust where I opened a savings account at 3.5% (2.25% bonus on top of 1.25% rate). Yesterday I went in to make a deposit and was told the the "everyday rate" had dropped to 0.75% and from now on I would be earning just 3.0%. I'm fairly new to High Interest Savings, so I will chalk this up to a learning experience.

Earl

Please write your comments in the forum.