What to do in 2023 with maturing GIC's? | Page 2 | GIC discussions | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
What to do in 2023 with maturing GIC's?
December 13, 2022
7:54 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1106
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

2024 is a U.S. election year. If they want to raise rates, I think 2023 will be the last year of rate raising before the election

December 13, 2022
10:26 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2745

TommyT said

I'm calling a crash in the U.S. stock market on January 5th 2023. if you day trade. I'm looking for the DOW to drop more than 1,000 points that day.
There's Oaken paying 3.4 percent and Saven paying 3.75 percent daily interest if you're in Ontario. Saven hasn't had any good reviews saying you can't move a lot of money back and forth in the account. I have an account with them and everything is slow. It took them two weeks just to put the $25 membership fee where it's supposed to go.  

I will wonder if you travel back in time from the future if ur Jan 5 prediction is correct. But then DOW easily swing 500pts+ these day, 1000 points is NOT as dramatic as it sounds.
Now I am looking for Jan5 🙂

December 13, 2022
12:09 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1138

TommyT said
I'm calling a crash in the U.S. stock market on January 5th 2023. if you day trade. I'm looking for the DOW to drop more than 1,000 points that day.

I'll be looking forward to Jan 5 for this prognostication. sf-cool

December 13, 2022
1:25 pm
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 934

TommyT said

Thanks for the info - I will make sure to have funds available if there are bargains. As we know from history, drastic drops in the index one day, usually is followed by some recovery in the following day or two - all depends on the reason for the initial big drop.

TommyT said
There's Oaken paying 3.4 percent and Saven paying 3.75 percent daily interest if you're in Ontario. Saven hasn't had any good reviews saying you can't move a lot of money back and forth in the account. I have an account with them and everything is slow. It took them two weeks just to put the $25 membership fee where it's supposed to go.  

Yes - Saven is slow and clunky (most CUs are slow and clunky - eg Meridian, Tandia, Luminus etc.) but if one does not make frequent transactions and basically uses the account for Savings, then one can just enjoy the above avg 3.75% rate - plus the CU insurance limit of $250K is a good point so it can work well for many. Nothing is perfect.

December 13, 2022
6:31 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1138

canadian.100 said
Thanks for the info - I will make sure to have funds available if there are bargains. As we know from history, drastic drops in the index one day, usually is followed by some recovery in the following day or two - all depends on the reason for the initial big drop.

Good luck on your 'dead cat bounce' strategy. sf-smile

December 13, 2022
7:07 pm
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 934

HermanH said

canadian.100 said

Good luck on your 'dead cat bounce' strategy. sf-smile  

M-e-o-w........

December 13, 2022
7:40 pm
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 689

TommyT said

The U.S. stock market is the most overvalued in all of history. All ponzi's end at some point in time and the U.S. stock market fraud ponzi is one of the longest running ponzi's. Unless you're a day trader or run longs and shorts in equal amounts now is one of the worst times ever to buy stocks. This January the U.S. stock market should be down double digits percentage wise with the U.S. stock market crashing on January 5th 2023 with a loss of more than 1,000 points on the DOW that day.  

Curious what criterion measures “value” in your book. Because I am not aware of any to suggest that the US market is “most overvalued in all history”. P/E ratio was much higher in 2000 as well as a year ago.

3% daily drops happen most years but are infrequent. Wanna bet on Dow dropping 1000 points on Jan 5th?

December 14, 2022
4:18 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

The 1000 pts drop prediction is like a bold call by an equity analyst on ant stock. If one is right, then brag about how good one is. If it’s not, just move on to the next ‘big’ prediction.

And like u said, 3% isn’t that big a move either. Make it 2000 pts and I will give odds too if the person is willing to bet. 🙂

January 4, 2023
7:03 am
TommyT
Banned
Forum Posts: 127

dougjp said
It will be interesting indeed to follow, and see, if a "crash" like that happens in the next 6 months.

Meanwhile, this morning, (but it may not last the day, IMO):

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/12/stock-market-futures-open-to-close-news.html  

I've got a crash alert out for January 5th 2023. The major U.S. stock indexes should crash tomorrow on January the fifth.

January 4, 2023
8:06 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3888

How's Jan 6 looking?

January 4, 2023
9:21 am
MattS
Members
Forum Posts: 135

Cold with a chance of rain

January 4, 2023
10:24 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Bill said
How's Jan 6 looking?  

100% chance it will happen after Jan 5, any year too not just 2023.

January 4, 2023
10:52 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9213
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

One way to make money in the market is to bet against it and then alert people to impending disaster. If you get enough takers, you win!
When I was a kid, we used to call it a chain letter.

Just saying'...

January 4, 2023
12:16 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members

Loonie said
One way to make money in the market is to bet against it and then alert people to impending disaster. If you get enough takers, you win!
When I was a kid, we used to call it a chain letter.

Just saying'...  

yup even a broken clock will be accurate twice a day.

January 5, 2023
1:20 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members

TommyT said

I've got a crash alert out for January 5th 2023. The major U.S. stock indexes should crash tomorrow on January the fifth.  

So disappointed that ur 1000pt drop prediction did not materialize. Even if you got it right and just a fluke, it would have been more fun as I look forward for ur next bold call. Now it’s all meh

January 5, 2023
1:28 pm
TommyT
Banned
Forum Posts: 127

savemoresaveoften said

So disappointed that ur 1000pt drop prediction did not materialize. Even if you got it right and just a fluke, it would have been more fun as I look forward for ur next bold call. Now it’s all meh  

I figured January would be about around a ten percent loss for the major indexes and usually the U.S. stock market tanks the day after all the money goes into the TFSA in the brokerages in Canada.

January 5, 2023
2:26 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1160

TommyT said
... usually the U.S. stock market tanks the day after all the money goes into the TFSA in the brokerages in Canada.  

... We (Canada) do that ? sf-surprised

January 5, 2023
2:41 pm
dougjp
Members
Forum Posts: 564

hwyc said

... We (Canada) do that ? sf-surprised  

sf-laugh Hilarious!

Oh and that sound was the crystal ball breaking, hopefully not repairable. sf-wink

The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to
annoy people who are not in them.

January 5, 2023
2:54 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members

TommyT said

I figured January would be about around a ten percent loss for the major indexes and usually the U.S. stock market tanks the day after all the money goes into the TFSA in the brokerages in Canada.  

That’s highly entertaining. And we Canadians are a powerful bunch !

January 6, 2023
10:43 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9213
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

At last, now we know why the US doesn't permit TFSAs! They're scared stiff of turning into Canadians! sf-surprisedsf-laugh

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.