Tandia GIC, new money, 6mos@1.70%, starting 18 Oct 2021 | GIC discussions | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Tandia GIC, new money, 6mos@1.70%, starting 18 Oct 2021
October 16, 2021
7:35 am
julio
Members
Forum Posts: 139
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

6 Months Term/RRSP/RRIF/TFSA: @1.70%
New money only
Starting Monday 18th October 2021
I called them: "applies for non-reg as well"

October 16, 2021
9:20 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 982

What are Tandia's membership terms and protocols?

Do they accept new members who cannot visit the branch in person?

How much do they charge for membership?

Do they deduct an amount from the initial membership fee if/when membership is canceled? (I've run into smaller CU's that charge $125 for membership and only reimburse $100 on cancellation, with variations on this policy with others)

What's it like to process electronic fund transfers (push /pull), hold and delay policies with Tandia?

Stephen

October 16, 2021
9:44 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Tandia is open bond, but I can't answer the other questions.

October 16, 2021
10:57 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

Info gained thus far from phone call to CSR:

Joint accounts OK
Online membership processing OK
Membership cost $25 per member, fully reimbursed on cancellation
EFT uses Me to Me online platform
There appear to be maximums for incoming and outgoing EFT's according to online FAQ's

The per transaction/daily outgoing transfer limit is $10,000. The per transaction/daily incoming transfer limit is also $10,000. Weekly and monthly limits also apply; see below for details.
There are no additional fees for incoming or outgoing Me2Me Transfers (beyond the applicable account debit transaction fees, if any).
7 Day Period Limit:
Total Outgoing in 7 day period - $50,000; Total Incoming in 7 day period - $50,000.

31 Day Period Limit:
Total Outgoing in 31 day period - $100,000; Total Incoming in 31 day period - $100,000.

This may well be the deal breaker.

Stephen

October 16, 2021
11:07 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

In my experience, you must go into a branch to create a membership although you may be able to begin the process on line.

October 16, 2021
11:13 am
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

Nehpets said
Info gained thus far from phone call to CSR:

Joint accounts OK
Online membership processing OK
Membership cost $25 per member, fully reimbursed on cancellation
EFT uses Me to Me online platform
There appear to be maximums for incoming and outgoing EFT's according to online FAQ's

The per transaction/daily outgoing transfer limit is $10,000. The per transaction/daily incoming transfer limit is also $10,000. Weekly and monthly limits also apply; see below for details.
There are no additional fees for incoming or outgoing Me2Me Transfers (beyond the applicable account debit transaction fees, if any).
7 Day Period Limit:
Total Outgoing in 7 day period - $50,000; Total Incoming in 7 day period - $50,000.

31 Day Period Limit:
Total Outgoing in 31 day period - $100,000; Total Incoming in 31 day period - $100,000.

This may well be the deal breaker.

Stephen  

To be honest, some of the transfer limits can be extended by direct request to a CSR. The limits often just apply to personal on line transactions. You'll have to ask that question if necessary.

October 16, 2021
12:04 pm
julio
Members
Forum Posts: 139

The limits are a limitation. To avoid them, last month, beg. of Sept., when they had a 3Y@2.50%, I drove to Burlington, ON, and dropped off a personal check.
Accounts opened online.

October 16, 2021
3:07 pm
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

I see there is a member referral program at Tandia for an E-Z $25.

When your referral opens their account, make sure they give us your name, telephone number and postal code. You and the person you refer will each be rewarded with $25 cash. The new member will also receive $25 in Member Shares

If someone wants to give me a referral, please send me a PM

Stephen

October 17, 2021
7:38 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 944

Checked the Tandia site today but I found nothing posted about a 1.70% promo. Guess only current Tandia members were advised.

October 17, 2021
11:06 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

From what julio said, the offer doesn't go live until tomorrow.

October 17, 2021
11:33 am
canadian.100
Members
Forum Posts: 944

Loonie said

I got that part - thus my comment - “Guess only current Tandia members were advised.”
I assume Julio is a current member since he knew.
Triggered a fair amount of capital gains last week- and I need places to park the cash temporarily (not in GICs) until I reinvest.

October 17, 2021
11:34 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

Loonie said

Yes, Oct 18 confirmed by my own telephone call to Tandia Saturday.

Stephen

October 19, 2021
6:25 pm
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1169
October 27, 2021
8:15 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

Thanks to Julio who posted the original information about this particular promo rate.

I initially had concerns about what appeared to be limitations on transaction limits for EFT's but these concerns have been allayed with written confirmation that limits can be overridden by management.

The intake process was initially a bit clunky, but as I discovered, it was due to software and platform upgrades taking place during that week.

Customer service by CSR's has been impressive, having spoken to several CSR's over the course of making arrangements.

They did everything they promised, in a timely and efficient manner, including their using an encrypted, secure online platform for sensitive document transfer.

Using their member referral program actually covers the membership share purchases for each spouse if a joint account is required.

I will keep Tandia on my "hopeful" A list for now, with the hopes that their Direct TCU division, that deals with exclusively online customers, might continue offering above average opportunities.

Stephen

Please write your comments in the forum.