Reimbursement of transfer out fees RRSP's and TFSA's 2019 | GIC discussions | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Reimbursement of transfer out fees RRSP's and TFSA's 2019
February 25, 2019
8:18 am
anitavirginia
Members
Forum Posts: 33
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Which companies reimburse these transfer out fees if you transfer funds to them.

February 25, 2019
8:31 am
Denise Milani
Banned
Forum Posts: 82

You might want to ask.

What FIs reimburse your RRSP/RRIF transfer out fees fully or up to an amount of. And for multiple transfers or one only.

What FIs reimburse your TFSA transfer out fees fully or up to an amount of. And for multiple transfers or one only.

What FIs don’t charge a transfer out fee for RRSP/RRIF.
Oaken

What FIs don’t charge a transfer out fee for TFSA .
People’s Trust

Keep in mind if you transfer In to an FI that does not charge to transfer out, they will very unlikely NOT reimburse those transfer fees.

February 25, 2019
1:14 pm
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 978

Denise Milani said
What FIs don’t charge a transfer out fee for TFSA .
People’s Trust 

Neither does Hubert, so conversely they don't reimburse for funds coming in.

There is one other CU that doesn't charge, but I can't recall which...everyone else charges.

My broker, Scrivens in Ottawa, for example does not charge transfer in/out fees if you move money among one of their own FI deposit clients, through Scrivens, of course.

As Denise mentioned, it's best to ask in every case.

Stephen

February 25, 2019
1:19 pm
anitavirginia
Members
Forum Posts: 33

The original question is, "Which companies reimburse these transfer out fees if you transfer funds to them."

I know Meridian has recently reimbursed these fees when receiving incoming funds.

Are there any others that would reimburse these fees.

February 25, 2019
2:40 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238

As a general rule, the FIs that charge fees will reimburse; the ones that don't won't. Thus, Hubert, Achieva, Peoples Trust, and Oaken won't; all others likely will.

It might be easier to ask if anyone knows of any others that won't.

There is usually a cap on how much they will reimburse. $50 is typical. I believe Accelerate reimburses on the basis of how much you are transferring.

February 25, 2019
3:04 pm
Denise Milani
Banned

anitavirginia said
The original question is, "Which companies reimburse these transfer out fees if you transfer funds to them."

I know Meridian has recently reimbursed these fees when receiving incoming funds.

Are there any others that would reimburse these fees.  

You might want to ask.
What FIs reimburse your RRSP/RRIF transfer out fees 1. fully 2. or up to an amount of. And for 3. multiple transfers or one only.

What FIs reimburse your TFSA transfer out fees 1. fully 2. or up to an amount of. And for 3. multiple transfers or one only.

Your question can have multiple answers based on your intentions and the limitations of the transfer to FI.

The best way is to email the FIs yourself that you might consider or be interested in using.

February 25, 2019
3:14 pm
Loonie
Members

Personally, I don't think you need to make the question too complicated.
You are more likely to get a good answer if you keep it simple. Just tell them what you are thinking of doing and how much your transfer fee is, then ask: Will they or won't they? How much?

February 25, 2019
3:29 pm
Denise Milani
Banned

Loonie said
Personally, I don't think you need to make the question too complicated.
You are more likely to get a good answer if you keep it simple. Just tell them what you are thinking of doing and how much your transfer fee is, then ask: Will they or won't they? How much?  

BUT if you look beyond just one only transfer and anitavirginia wants to move a number of maturing GICs to say, Accelerate I believe they may not cover the full transfer fee and will only help once only.

Anitavirginia needs to supply more info for a more complete answer.

February 25, 2019
4:26 pm
Loonie
Members

It's the specific question/transfer that matters. Policies can and do change.

February 25, 2019
5:03 pm
Rick
Members
Forum Posts: 1110

Loonie said
It's the specific question/transfer that matters. Policies can and do change.  

Like Loonie says... pays to ask. Motive says once but they reimbursed me 3 times in one year. Would imagine it depends on amounts. Nobody is going to give you 50 bux a shot to bring over multiple $1,000 GICs.

Please write your comments in the forum.