U.S. Inflation December 2021 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
U.S. Inflation December 2021
January 17, 2022
4:35 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

7% for December. I hope ours isn’t that high!

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/01/12/cpi-december-2021-.html

January 18, 2022
7:40 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1100

I do enjoy reading propaganda pieces. My favorite about inflation, so far, is the following: Why inflation can actually be good for everyday Americans and bad for rich people

January 18, 2022
9:26 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

But it's true, fixed cost/payments for a rising-in-value-due-to-inflation asset, like a house, is a good deal, no? Most people, by the time they finish making payments on their home, find that (due to the rises in their wages over the years) those payments are far less burdensome than years before when they purchased the home.

January 18, 2022
1:04 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6748

The article is not really applicable to us in Canada. Mortgages here aren't usually fixed rate for the entire amortization period.

One could get a closed 25-year term and 25-year amortization mortgage from RBC Royal Bank. But, the rate would be 8¾% per annum for those 25 years!

January 18, 2022
1:29 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1100

That's what I like about good propaganda: they take the truth and bend it to fit the narrative. The bad propaganda just lies.

The honest title of that article should have been "Why inflation can actually be good for Americans with fixed-rate debt like a 30-year mortgage and bad for everyone else."

Even that is disputable, if cost of living rises faster than income for mortgage holders. Still, much more honest than "Inflation is only bad for rich people" the original title implies.

January 18, 2022
1:52 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

Which raises a good question. Seems to me everything is propaganda now. Today on publicly-funded CBC (my wife told me) they had a guy on about the supply/demand situation re beef and what's likely to happen with prices going forward and all the host wanted to divert him to was that eating beef is a bad thing to do and people shouldn't be doing it. That's probably why they had him on in the first place, to promote their message.

Anybody recommend any truly balanced sources of info these days? I can't think of any.

Please write your comments in the forum.