The maximum OAS a couple can get is $19,600. Here's how to collect all of it | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
The maximum OAS a couple can get is $19,600. Here's how to collect all of it
April 30, 2019
12:03 pm
Top It Up
Members (temp break)
Forum Posts: 1363
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

From Ted Rechtshaffen in the National Post -

The maximum OAS a couple can get is $19,600. Here's how to collect all of it

These five strategies can maximize your OAS and could easily add $100,000+ to your long term assets

https://business.financialpost.com/personal-finance/retirement/the-oas-maximum-a-couple-can-get-is-19600-heres-how-to-collect-all-of-it

April 30, 2019
1:32 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223

As I understand it, Ted Rechtshaffen is a financial planner/adviser of a family office wealth planning firm for ultra high net worth individuals. 🙁

As I also understand it, so long as the couple do not each make more than $75,000.00 per person, they will maximize their OAS. That figure seems a bit high for OAS, hopefully he's not including GIS in that total. GIS is an income supplement for ultra low income seniors and it not something people should aspire to obtaining, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
3:04 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

154k for a couple is the zero clawback point! That’s mighty good income for retirement.

April 30, 2019
3:31 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2857
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Vatox said
154k for a couple is the zero clawback point! That’s mighty good income for retirement.  

Indeed, it is obscene retirees of that potential income can suck off the public teat. The system is broken as I have written about before.

April 30, 2019
3:40 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

AltaRed said

Indeed, it is obscene retirees of that potential income can suck off the public teat. The system is broken as I have written about before.  

Thank you, AltaRed, for saying this! So refreshing to hear another forum member, and a senior no less, say this. +10 for the above post. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
4:35 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 714

Doug said

Thank you, AltaRed, for saying this! So refreshing to hear another forum member, and a senior no less, say this. +10 for the above post. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug  

If you are still single, @Doug , when you turn 65, you will need to have a "common law partner " living with you who does not collect OAS, and then your combined income can be up to $43,728 for you to be able to collect the supplement 🙂 They didn't mention that strategy in the article.

April 30, 2019
4:43 pm
NorthernRaven
Moderators
Forum Posts: 606

The $19,600 figure is for OAS fully deferred until age 70 (0.6% more per deferred month; 5*12*0.6 = 36% more), so that amount is only reached when the younger half of the couple hits 70.
OAS at normal age 65 is about $7200 ($14,400 for a couple).

The clawback reaction really depends on how you look at OAS. It isn't a poverty supplement, but more of a base retirement income as part of the redistributive tax system. Higher income retirees will have also been paying higher marginal rates (and of course higher absolute amounts), so there's some equity in not clawing back too early or sharply. It would be interesting to see if estimates are available as to how much OAS expenditure is saved with the current clawback, or a sense of how much more would be saved under other clawback formulae (25 cents per excess dollar, for instance, or dropping the starting point to $70,000).

April 30, 2019
4:49 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

NorthernRaven said
The $19,600 figure is for OAS fully deferred until age 70 (0.6% more per deferred month; 5*12*0.6 = 36% more), so that amount is only reached when the younger half of the couple hits 70.
OAS at normal age 65 is about $7200 ($14,400 for a couple).

The clawback reaction really depends on how you look at OAS. It isn't a poverty supplement, but more of a base retirement income as part of the redistributive tax system. Higher income retirees will have also been paying higher marginal rates (and of course higher absolute amounts), so there's some equity in not clawing back too early or sharply. It would be interesting to see if estimates are available as to how much OAS expenditure is saved with the current clawback, or a sense of how much more would be saved under other clawback formulae (25 cents per excess dollar, for instance, or dropping the starting point to $70,000).  

Okay, but if it's supposed to be a retirement supplement for everyone, then it should be fully costed and paid for by a separately managed account, like the Canada Pension Plan. Currently, it's paid out of general revenues and it eats up an increasing amount of general revenue each year. sf-cool

And yeah, I did see what he's getting at with delaying OAS to age 70. Yes, that's definitely possible. I think 70 is a bit on the older side. No guarantee we're all going to live to be 95-100. I don't think the actuarial tables bear that out yet. 😉

I'll probably take my CPP+OAS at age 67 and work, part-time, until age 72.

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
4:52 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Briguy said

If you are still single, @Doug , when you turn 65, you will need to have a "common law partner " living with you who does not collect OAS, and then your combined income can be up to $43,728 for you to be able to collect the supplement 🙂 They didn't mention that strategy in the article.  

You mean GIS, right? Do you know what the cutoff would be for a single senior to collect, at least some, GIS?

I assume it's probably quite low and likely below $30,000 for a single senior.

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
4:56 pm
Vatox
Members

Briguy said

I don’t understand your point. If 77k is the max income for full OAS, then what significance is the $43,728 figure?

April 30, 2019
5:03 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Vatox said

I don’t understand your point. If 77k is the max income for full OAS, then what significance is the $43,728 figure?  

I was confused at first, too, Vatox, by Briguy's point. I think he might've been referring to my GIS reference in one of my posts above, so maybe $43,728 is the cutoff for a low income senior couple to receive at least some GIS?

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
5:12 pm
Briguy
Members

Doug said

I was confused at first, too, Vatox, by Briguy's point. I think he might've been referring to my GIS reference in one of my posts above, so maybe $43,728 is the cutoff for a low income senior couple to receive at least some GIS?

Cheers,
Doug  

If you are married, or live with a common law partner, but only one of you is eligible for old age security, ( eg. your partner has been less than 10 yr in Canada ) then the cutoff to receive guaranteed income supplement rises from 24,096 to 43,728 for the couple. I was joking because Doug says he doesn't plan to get married, so he could just live with someone and collect the supplement after 3 years.

The cutoff is 125,686 for a couple to receive full OAS if you don't plan on getting the guaranteed income supplement.

April 30, 2019
5:16 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Briguy said

If you are married, or live with a common law partner, but only one of you is eligible for old age security, ( eg. your partner has been less than 10 yr in Canada ) then the cutoff to receive guaranteed income supplement rises from 24,096 to 43,728 for the couple. I was joking because Doug says he doesn't plan to get married, so he could just live with someone and collect the supplement after 3 years.

The cutoff is 125,686 for a couple to receive full OAS if you don't plan on getting the guaranteed income supplement.  

Who plans on receiving the GIS, though? That's my question. sf-cool

And, I think the cutoff is actually ~$150,000 for a dual income couple ($75,000 x 2) with no OAS clawback (which is far too high, in my and AltaRed's opinions). 😉

I plan to target a retirement income of between $50,000-60,000, and my working age income of $40-50,000. My needs are modest. I've got ~$250,000 saved so far, and still have ~30-35 years left to work (to my age 65-70) and, if things pan out as I plan following my graduation from the Library & Information Technology program, should be able to work in some type of library with a decent DB pension plan (so will have less room for RRSPs, which suits me just fine).

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
5:22 pm
Briguy
Members

Doug said

Who plans on receiving the GIS, though? That's my question. sf-cool

And, I think the cutoff is actually ~$150,000 for a dual income couple ($75,000 x 2) with no OAS clawback (which is far too high, in my and AltaRed's opinions). 😉

I plan to target a retirement income of between $50,000-60,000, and my working age income of $40-50,000. My needs are modest. I've got ~$250,000 saved so far, and still have ~30-35 years left to work (to my age 65-70) and, if things pan out as I plan following my graduation from the Library & Information Technology program, should be able to work in some type of library with a decent DB pension plan (so will have less room for RRSPs, which suits me just fine).

Cheers,
Doug  

My point was that if you do PLAN on getting the guaranteed income supplement, you could find someone to live with you recently immigrated to Canada, and after 3 yr you would be common law married, and if you targeted a household income of less than 43,728 you would get the supplement. I was just being facetious, because the article gave out so many ways to collect more OAS, but didn't mention that way.

April 30, 2019
5:35 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Briguy said

My point was that if you do PLAN on getting the guaranteed income supplement, you could find someone to live with you recently immigrated to Canada, and after 3 yr you would be common law married, and if you targeted a household income of less than 43,728 you would get the supplement. I was just being facetious, because the article gave out so many ways to collect more OAS, but didn't mention that way.  

Ah, I get it now, thanks Briguy. sf-cool

Good point! Downside of that strategy is I'd have to worry about a spouse that could take my money and scuttle my well-laid estate disbursement plans. With no heirs to challenge my will not being held up, who would protect me? Or worse, I could end up with one of those "black widows" that puts strychnine in my morning oatmeal? 😉

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
5:36 pm
NorthernRaven
Moderators
Forum Posts: 606

Doug said

Okay, but if it's supposed to be a retirement supplement for everyone, then it should be fully costed and paid for by a separately managed account, like the Canada Pension Plan. Currently, it's paid out of general revenues and it eats up an increasing amount of general revenue each year. sf-cool

OAS isn't tied to work history the way CPP is, and you'd have to somehow track everyone's eligibility, and have the government maintain some sort of accounting fund to manage eventual payouts with transfers in from annual tax revenues. Doesn't really make sense. If there were worries about severe demographic shifts some sort of buffer account could be maintained, but I don't think that's necessary.
The last actuarial report on OAS shows it costs about 2.4% of GDP currently. This is estimated to peak at around 3.2% of GDP in 2031, and slowly shrink to 2.7% by 2060 (based on various demographic and economic assumptions). Those seem like levels that the economy should be able to sustain.

April 30, 2019
5:39 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

NorthernRaven said

Doug said

OAS isn't tied to work history the way CPP is, and you'd have to somehow track everyone's eligibility, and have the government maintain some sort of accounting fund to manage eventual payouts with transfers in from annual tax revenues. Doesn't really make sense. If there were worries about severe demographic shifts some sort of buffer account could be maintained, but I don't think that's necessary.
The last actuarial report on OAS shows it costs about 2.4% of GDP currently. This is estimated to peak at around 3.2% of GDP in 2031, and slowly shrink to 2.7% by 2060 (based on various demographic and economic assumptions). Those seem like levels that the economy should be able to sustain.  

It doesn't have to be tied to someone's work history, but it could be like a special progressively taxed income tax levy, tracked via our CRA and/or Service Canada accounts and the funds would be managed out of a special Old Age Security Sustainability Fund, with the funds managed by the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board.

That's good to know the Chief Actuary audits the sustainability of the OAS program and not just the CPP. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

April 30, 2019
10:08 pm
Vatox
Members

Doug and I think alike. I too am single and have no intention of ever living with someone. It’s too risky these days, for men anyways.

April 30, 2019
10:42 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

Vatox said
Doug and I think alike. I too am single and have no intention of ever living with someone. It’s too risky these days, for men anyways.  

A woman lawyer I know feels the same way.

April 30, 2019
11:28 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

The eligibility rules for maximum cpp should also be discussed because the rules are disgusting.  Only 6% of Canadians as of 2016 received the maximum cpp payment. 

To get the maximum cpp payment, you must have paid the maximum cpp contribution amount for 40 years.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/retirement/retire-lifestyle/full-cpp-benefits-are-a-tough-goal-to-reach/article38025370/

https://retirehappy.ca/how-much-will-you-get-from-canada/

This was talked about on a radio show a few weeks ago. They were saying... if you paid 40 years of maximum cpp contributions, you've paid in more than 200k.  Starting cpp at 65, it takes 17 years just to get your principal payments back, without the payment of any interest.  So, by 82 you've gotten all of your money back at 0% interest.  The life expectancy of a male Canadian is 82.

If you invested your cpp contributions yourself over those same 40 years, the return value would be 500k to 1 million dollars.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.