November 2022 Inflation | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
November 2022 Inflation
December 21, 2022
8:20 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

6.8%. Not decelerating fast enough to help and the fast increasing of rates is just adding to the hurt! It’s crazy!

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/221221/dq221221a-eng.htm

December 22, 2022
9:21 am
hayman
Members
Forum Posts: 66

I think Jeremy Siegel has it right, need to use forward looking projections on housing and aggregate demand (not focused on supply chain problems) also real wages should be up 5% given history and inflation. 3% in inflation is doable and inflation has been beat as of NOW! No more hikes necessary! Why risk a deep recession?

December 22, 2022
10:32 am
mordko
Members
Forum Posts: 816

Looking at the food prices and assuming 5% salary hikes, I am having real trouble declaring victory over inflation. Nor is it at all obvious that rental prices stopped growing (for example). The argument that supply chain problems were going to have a short-lived impact on inflation proved to be BS 2 years ago; not sure why its going to work better this time.

The headline number was lowered thanks to gasoline prices dropping. And thats thanks to short term releases of US reserves and Covid lockdowns in China. Both of these factors will be reversed soonish.

In general, long term consequences of inflation taking hold will be worse than a recession. And unless we can all of a sudden start producing more resources, goods and services, there isn’t another way.

December 22, 2022
4:27 pm
Vatox
Members

mordko said
Looking at the food prices and assuming 5% salary hikes, I am having real trouble declaring victory over inflation. Nor is it at all obvious that rental prices stopped growing (for example). The argument that supply chain problems were going to have a short-lived impact on inflation proved to be BS 2 years ago; not sure why its going to work better this time.

The headline number was lowered thanks to gasoline prices dropping. And thats thanks to short term releases of US reserves and Covid lockdowns in China. Both of these factors will be reversed soonish.

In general, long term consequences of inflation taking hold will be worse than a recession. And unless we can all of a sudden start producing more resources, goods and services, there isn’t another way.  

Exactly! There is no way to quickly replace the workers that have left the workforce. And consumption, such as groceries hasn’t and won’t significantly drop. Perhaps other things that aren’t necessities will fall in consumption but I don’t see massive supplies increasing any time soon. I think interest rates will continue upwards.

December 22, 2022
4:52 pm
mordko
Members

Vatox said

Exactly! There is no way to quickly replace the workers that have left the workforce. And consumption, such as groceries hasn’t and won’t significantly drop. Perhaps other things that aren’t necessities will fall in consumption but I don’t see massive supplies increasing any time soon. I think interest rates will continue upwards.  

I don’t know either way. There are a lot of complex factors at play. One of the factors is shortage of resources; energy being the obvious one. Will take a long time to replace production; perhaps 10 years. Like we haven’t trained any engineers for the industry. But then population is still getting older… Maybe those who quit the work force will be forced or enticed to come back.

We’ll see. Way too early to declare victory when food prices are up 10%.

December 22, 2022
4:54 pm
lifeonanisland
Members
Forum Posts: 235

Vatox said

And stick around a lot longer than some think.

December 22, 2022
6:33 pm
mechone
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 174

Groceries still over 11% inflation and oil on the rise . I see many more rate hikes, with BOC staying synchronized with the US fed expect a lower hike in Jan to match the US fed .25% ,as they go we go

December 22, 2022
8:12 pm
Vatox
Members

mordko said
Maybe those who quit the work force will be forced or enticed to come back.  

I’m thinking automation is where we are headed. And vertical farming too.

December 22, 2022
8:57 pm
mordko
Members

Vatox said

I’m thinking automation is where we are headed. And vertical farming too.  

Vertical farming sounds very cool but takes a lot of artificial heat and light. We don’t generate enough energy to make it the main supplier of food over traditional farms which have sun to thank for helping out.

December 23, 2022
3:51 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1159

Vatox said
6.8%. Not decelerating fast enough to help and the fast increasing of rates is just adding to the hurt! It’s crazy!

Not so crazy, when you see the likes of the $1.7 trillion short-term spending bill the US passed. It seems as though any deflationary gains made by increasing interest rates is simply lost to more inflationary spending; almost as if politicians are deliberately trying to sabotage the effort.

December 23, 2022
5:29 am
mechone
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 174

HermanH said

Vatox said

Not so crazy, when you see the likes of the $1.7 trillion short-term spending bill the US passed. It seems as though any deflationary gains made by increasing interest rates is simply lost to more inflationary spending; almost as if politicians are deliberately trying to sabotage the effort.  

Totally agree ,no different here at home the liberals need to stop spending and show some restraint . I'm sure will see massive tax increases coming to service the out of control debt

December 23, 2022
6:46 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

If you search this site you'll find prior explanations why domestic government debt at current levels is not a problem, some might be interested to read up on it. And I'm hoping those who articulated those views will let us know if that changes.

December 23, 2022
7:32 am
TommyT
Banned
Forum Posts: 127

hayman said
I think Jeremy Siegel has it right, need to use forward looking projections on housing and aggregate demand (not focused on supply chain problems) also real wages should be up 5% given history and inflation. 3% in inflation is doable and inflation has been beat as of NOW! No more hikes necessary! Why risk a deep recession?  

The forecast is for interest rates to peak in June 2023 in Canada and in America. Inflation will spike at the start of 2023 in both countries.

December 23, 2022
9:32 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6748

Bill said
If you search this site you'll find prior explanations why domestic government debt at current levels is not a problem, some might be interested to read up on it. And I'm hoping those who articulated those views will let us know if that changes.

Government debt continues to not be a problem.

DBRS confirmed Government of Canada's AAA rating in September and wrote this about the debt:

Fiscal Accounts Have Rapidly Returned To A Sustainable Position

According to the FY22-23 budget, the federal [budget] deficit is expected to decline from the pandemic-related peak of 14.9% of GDP in FY20-21 to just 2.0% in FY22-23. Early data from this fiscal year suggests that the budgetary result will likely outperform the 2.0% projection. The federal government posted a modest surplus in the first quarter of the year (April to June). Overall, the large and rapid improvement in the fiscal accounts has been driven by sharply higher revenue, which is benefiting from strong nominal GDP growth, as well as lower outlays, as pandemic-related programs have been wound down. With provincial budget results also significantly improving over the last year, the combined fiscal policy stance across the general government (i.e. federal plus provincial plus municipal governments) has returned to a sustainable position.

The government debt-to-GDP ratio is markedly higher than before the pandemic but the trajectory is now firmly downward. The IMF estimates that gross debt-to-GDP for the general government increased from 87% in 2019 to 118% in 2020. The ratio declined to 112% in 2021 amid a strong economic recovery and better fiscal results, and the ratio is projected to decline to 102% in 2022 and 88% in 2027, which is close to the debt ratio prior to the pandemic.

December 23, 2022
11:59 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

Thanks, Norman1, update much appreciated.

Depending on what province you live in the situation might be a bit more dicey (Ontario?), considering provincial debt, I don't know. But you can always move, least I think you still can.

December 23, 2022
6:14 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6748

Province of Ontario is doing okay. No need to move.

Fitch affirmed Ontario's AA- rating last month. Negligible risk of debt default even if the budget deficit gets unexpectedly worse over next few years:

… An exceptionally strong economic and fiscal turnaround is currently underway, with the province reporting a small surplus in fiscal 2021-22 and sharply improved debt burden metrics. Recent strength is tempered by expectations of near-term economic and fiscal erosion as inflation, higher interest rates, a weakening housing market and other macroeconomic risks weigh on projected performance.

… The risk profile [of 'Stronger'] expresses Fitch's expectation that there is negligible risk of the issuer's inability to cover debt service with the operating balance [budget revenues minus expenditures] weakening unexpectedly over the scenario horizon (fiscal 2022-23 to 2026-27) due to lower revenue, higher expenditure, or an unexpected rise in liabilities or debt-service requirements.

December 23, 2022
10:25 pm
Vatox
Members

HermanH said

Just to clarify, there is no deflation. It’s simply deceleration of inflation. Deflation is when year over year inflation goes below zero, signalling that overall prices have dropped. Lower inflation numbers such as the desired 2.0%, is not a price drop it’s just a slower increase.

December 24, 2022
8:57 am
TommyT
Banned
Forum Posts: 127

Norman1 said
Province of Ontario is doing okay. No need to move.

Fitch affirmed Ontario's AA- rating last month. Negligible risk of debt default even if the budget deficit gets unexpectedly worse over next few years:

… An exceptionally strong economic and fiscal turnaround is currently underway, with the province reporting a small surplus in fiscal 2021-22 and sharply improved debt burden metrics. Recent strength is tempered by expectations of near-term economic and fiscal erosion as inflation, higher interest rates, a weakening housing market and other macroeconomic risks weigh on projected performance.

… The risk profile [of 'Stronger'] expresses Fitch's expectation that there is negligible risk of the issuer's inability to cover debt service with the operating balance [budget revenues minus expenditures] weakening unexpectedly over the scenario horizon (fiscal 2022-23 to 2026-27) due to lower revenue, higher expenditure, or an unexpected rise in liabilities or debt-service requirements.

Due to the negative spread between inflation and the Fed funds rate and the Bank of Canada rate. If they keep on lying about the infaltion rate saying its a lot lower than it actually is then a lot of the long term debt will be paid off if the spreads stay negative between inflation and the Fed funds rate and the bank of Canada rate.

December 24, 2022
2:55 pm
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1003

TommyT: The inflation statistics are based on consistent criteria, and we still haven't heard where these claims of false numbers are coming from. Is there a track record of "secret" numbers or are there attempts to compare different statistics in a deceptive apples-and-oranges fashion?

Governments spending more, if it leads to higher production, would be a net gain and help reduce inflation. Note the IF.
RetirEd

RetirEd

December 25, 2022
3:58 pm
mordko
Members

RetirEd said
TommyT: The inflation statistics are based on consistent criteria, and we still haven't heard where these claims of false numbers are coming from. Is there a track record of "secret" numbers or are there attempts to compare different statistics in a deceptive apples-and-oranges fashion?

Governments spending more, if it leads to higher production, would be a net gain and help reduce inflation. Note the IF.
RetirEd  

Occasionally government spending increases productivity (eg new roads) but most of the time it works the other way round.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.