Nearly half of Canada's mortgages up for renewal in 2018: CIBC | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Nearly half of Canada's mortgages up for renewal in 2018: CIBC
April 15, 2018
3:31 pm
Wayno
Members
Forum Posts: 100
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

https://www.bnn.ca/nearly-half-of-canada-s-mortgages-up-for-renewal-in-2018-cibc-1.1053959

"Nearly half of all existing mortgages in Canada will need to be renewed in this year, substantially more than in prior years, according to a new report, amid rising interest rates and new rules that make it tougher for some borrowers to shop around.

A CIBC Capital Markets report says an estimated 47 per cent of all existing mortgages will need to be refinanced this year, up from the 25 to 35 per cent range in a typical year.

The increase is an unintended consequence of various rounds of regulatory changes aimed at reducing risk coupled with rising house prices that made it harder for homebuyers to qualify, says CIBC's executive director and head of North American Rates Strategy.

Ian Pollick says borrowers in recent years have taken on mortgages with two- or three-year durations, which are now up for renewal alongside the typical five-year mortgages.

The increase in renewals comes as mortgage rates have been rising with five-year fixed rates up about half a percentage point compared with a year ago.

Meanwhile, new lending rules introduced this year stipulate that homeowners looking to renew their uninsured mortgage are subject to a new stress test, unless they stick with their existing provider, hobbling their ability to seek out a more competitive rate."

This "may" explain why I have been told by a number of folks there seems to be an increased demand for funds ( i.e. GIC deposits) by financial institutions in 2018.

regards,

Wayno

April 15, 2018
5:54 pm
User230
Members
Forum Posts: 184

I helped someone this year renew, just locked in a rate yesterday. They wanted to stay with the lender. Which made it hard to reduce the rate.

The Bank said 3.69 at first. Than said we went around and asked other banks and they said 3.29. Than they said 3.31.

Than we said we wont need to take out funds and the person isn't planning on moving for 5 years. They said there is a mortgage for that. A Closed Term Fixed Morgage

https://www.vancity.com/Mortgages/TypesOfMortgages/ClosedTermFixedRate/

At 3.19.

This type of mortgage wasn't offered until last year if i recall right for this instiution.

I tried to get them to renew last year at 2.49 percent with transfer fees about 2.69 percent (the hassle charge me and them decide was worth about .4 percent so like 3.09 and i advised it probably wouldn't incrase that much) at HSBC. They didn't want to. Also, This year at 3.04 percent with the same type mortgage at their instution but they weren't for it as it was 6 months out.

I than tried to get them to change lenders as they could get 2.99 percent. At HSBC. They just wanted something simple and easy. I think they got the best option they could get considering the circumstances.

It's a loss of about 3,000 over the 5 year period (2.99 compared to 3.19) but the need to change stopped them.

The lending rates seem to be going up on Monday according to This redditor.

Fixed mortgages rates moving up
byu/Jolarbear inPersonalFinanceCanada

So, there was some urgency on Saturday to get the rate locked in. Now have to fill out paper work next Staurday.

April 16, 2018
7:04 am
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

https://www.bnn.ca/1-3-of-canadians-fear-bankruptcy-amid-debt-trap-warning-survey-shows-1.1058013

But to be honest, a survey means nothing. I will wait for the banks to start crying about their defaults, autos are normally the first to report a loss on repayments.

Please write your comments in the forum.