Inflation for January 2022 @ 5.1% | Page 2 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

This topic is locked No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Inflation for January 2022 @ 5.1%
February 16, 2022
4:47 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Norman1 said

Kidd said
… We have world class free health care, and cleaner air than the Americans. …

You have your facts mixed up.

We have free health care. The Americans have world class health care.

Ask some American friends how much the medical bills for a routine pregnancy is. It was around US$15,000 to US$20,000!

Ever see a US$10,000 bill for that MRI the next day? I have!

Many people here in Canada don't have a clue how much the health care system here saves them.  

I have seen. Someone from another province get a bill from ontario health. Because each province in canada is, to each their own.

If i held a job in the states, similar to the job i retired from here in canada, i would have full country, 50 state coverage, plus travel coverage.

When 3,000 patients in hospital with covid, can cripple our entire provincial system... it's beyond pathetic. The coverage we have... isn't even worth mentioning, except for... it's costing us billions of dollars.

February 16, 2022
5:18 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3921

Kidd, I agree with your last paragraph, we pay billions upon billions and we get a handful of ICU beds when we need them. And USA was swimming in vaccine availability when we were still booking appointments months ahead.

Norman1, in USA the rich can afford health care, the poor get it free, and most working folks have some kind of workplace coverage. It's largely the self-employed or the under-employed who are stuck with the big bills.

February 16, 2022
5:39 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766

That's not quite the case.

The poor and working folk get whoever will or can accept the rates their insurance pays.

Some doctors will refuse service for what the insurance the poor have pays. Similar to here in Canada where doctors in other provinces will refuse to see Quebec patients who have provincial insurance that pays less.

Employee coverage in the US can have provider restrictions. One can't just pick any doctor or clinic. One friend told me that they had to go to a provider further across town. Another is much closer but is not on the list of providers of their HMO (health maintenance organization).

February 16, 2022
6:27 pm
christinad
Members
Forum Posts: 315

AltaRed said

They are definitely much higher than they used to be in recent times.

These are in USD/litre (couldn't find a decent CAD equivalent) but one can see on https://tradingeconomics.com/canada/gasoline-prices that if you pick either the 10 year or 25 year chart, 2022 appears to be still below 2014 on a nominal basis. Imagine if one charted this in 'real' terms, i.e. took the 2014 price and added CPI to it. And that is with carbon tax added in the price in the last year or two. Gasoline is a bargain and the oil companies are suffering relative to 2014.

The problem is people only remember the very low base prices of the past 6-7 years.

*1.17USD on the chart = $1.50 CAD which is close to the $1.60 I paid this morning.  

I think you are cherry picking your data with 2014. I looked at the chart. You are in Alberta, right? I’m in bc where taxes are very bad. Gas is not a bargain. In any event, as we discussed earlier inflation hits different people differently. For some of the affluent people on this forum they don’t notice. If you budget and track your money like me, you notice.

February 16, 2022
6:54 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

christinad said

I think you are cherry picking your data with 2014. I looked at the chart. You are in Alberta, right? I’m in bc where taxes are very bad. Gas is not a bargain. In any event, as we discussed earlier inflation hits different people differently. For some of the affluent people on this forum they don’t notice. If you budget and track your money like me, you notice.  

I suspect the chart is using what is likely an average gasoline price for Canada. I am in the BC Interior and paid $1.599 this morning. Gas prices here are based on transportation distance from the Kamloops wholesale distribution racks. I recognize Vancouver and its immediate neighbours pay more due to additional tax for transit upgrades, additional distance from AB refineries, and possibly more because a good portion of GVR gasoline comes from Puget Sound refineries in WA state. I fill up around Hope to avoid filling up in/near Vancouver at all costs. We could avoid all that owning an EV.

Inflation does hit everyone differently in different regions of the country, and also depending what we buy more of versus someone else, but we probably shouldn't be cherry picking on where we live, especially in a national forum such as this one.

February 16, 2022
7:00 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Norman1 said
That's not quite the case.

The poor and working folk get whoever will or can accept the rates their insurance pays.

Some doctors will refuse service for what the insurance the poor have pays. Similar to here in Canada where doctors in other provinces will refuse to see Quebec patients who have provincial insurance that pays less.

Employee coverage in the US can have provider restrictions. One can't just pick any doctor or clinic. One friend told me that they had to go to a provider further across town. Another is much closer but is not on the list of providers of their HMO (health maintenance organization).  

Absolutely true. I was an ex-pat for many years and know the faults in the US medical system. Every corporate health plan that I know of is tied to a specific HMO. One dares not get medical attention at a facility not in that HMO. One even has to be sure the right ambulance shows up to avoid a financial hemorrhage if it is not in your HMO. Then there are the lifetime caps and co-pays. I worked for a blue chip that had an excellent plan but I had co-pays for almost everything, including doctor visits. It is misrepresentation at best to comment about the US health system without the appropriate context.

February 16, 2022
8:34 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9244

I lived in the US for a few years too. Someone I knew had a major psychotic breakdown. After X days, she was kicked out of the psychiatric hospital, ready or not, because insurance had run out. And, as US insurance goes, it wasn't a bad plan.
It was a well reputed hospital, and the only one acceptable to the insurance in that area. She'd used up her allotment for that hospital for the year.

Our system does have problems, but you ain't seen a problem til you've dealt with the US system, which some want to push upon us.

February 16, 2022
9:30 pm
christinad
Members
Forum Posts: 315

AltaRed said

I suspect the chart is using what is likely an average gasoline price for Canada. I am in the BC Interior and paid $1.599 this morning. Gas prices here are based on transportation distance from the Kamloops wholesale distribution racks. I recognize Vancouver and its immediate neighbours pay more due to additional tax for transit upgrades, additional distance from AB refineries, and possibly more because a good portion of GVR gasoline comes from Puget Sound refineries in WA state. I fill up around Hope to avoid filling up in/near Vancouver at all costs. We could avoid all that owning an EV.

Inflation does hit everyone differently in different regions of the country, and also depending what we buy more of versus someone else, but we probably shouldn't be cherry picking on where we live, especially in a national forum such as this one.  

Sorry to incorrectly call you an Albertan!

February 17, 2022
5:58 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

Thanks to Trudeau, federal carbon tax is 7% of fuel cost right now, and by 2030 it will rise to 24% of fuel cost....

February 17, 2022
6:34 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

savemoresaveoften said
Thanks to Trudeau, federal carbon tax is 7% of fuel cost right now, and by 2030 it will rise to 24% of fuel cost....  

That is part of what I call 'structural' inflation or the cost of 'greening of our economy'. Technically all these carbon taxes are supposed to find their way back to the consumer in terms of rebates or reduced income taxes but until carbon taxes are accounted for separately under a separate set of audited books, I won't believe it. Just more inflation for consumers of hydrocarbons, businesses and individuals alike.

February 17, 2022
8:18 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3921

Yes, the price of fuel contains carbon taxes but you need to deduct the Climate Action Incentive (tax return line 45110) credit you're entitled to before calculating your inflation rate on fuel.

Also note that there's no CAI line on the 2021 tax return, it's replaced (subject to Parliament's approval) by the tax-free CAI payment, CAIP, (for provinces west of Quebec except B.C.) which takes your 2021 income tax info to determine if you're eligible for quarterly payments starting July 15, 2022 calculated retro to April. Still have to file Sch 14 to get the extra amount for those in small town or rural areas. Family of 4 in Ontario gets at least $600 (estimated to be up to about $2000 by 2030), in Alta. almost $1000. I guess the other provinces have their own programs. So for those who don't drive much it really helps out re fuel inflation, and that's its point, i.e. incentivize sheep to move this, not that, way. Canada, leading the way to save Earth!

And no point hiding gov't gifts on the income tax return where nobody sees it, way better to send the voting sheep quarterly cheques courtesy of our Leader.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/cai-payment.html

February 17, 2022
10:13 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

Locking the thread. Feel free to continue the discussion on a different website.

This topic is locked No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.