Inflation December 2021 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Inflation December 2021
January 19, 2022
5:49 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
January 19, 2022
5:54 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
January 19, 2022
6:02 pm
christinad
Members
Forum Posts: 315

6% increase for oranges and they are not very good this year. l am really interested to see what the bank of canada does next week.

January 19, 2022
6:33 pm
christinad
Members

Would i create a huge controversy to say inflation is not transitory? 🙂

January 19, 2022
7:40 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

christinad said

Are you wanting controversy? There are definitely 2 trains of thought in this forum.

With mad cow being found yet again in canada, china, south Korea and the Philippines have stopped beef imports. This will create a surplus of beef which can't be sold, outside of canada. in an honest financial marketplace, the price of beef should be next to free.

The Americans have stopped importing pei potatoes, because the potatoes are covered in warts. Potatoes should be next to free.

Why aren't these lower prices being passed on to the Canadian consumer?

The feds believe a higher pump price (gas) will create a greener environment. WELL... with Vancouver paying $1.70 per litre vs Toronto's $1.46. Vancouver's air must be cleaner than Toronto's. Breathe deep Vancouver, enjoy the goodness given to you, by you paying so much.

January 19, 2022
7:44 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

No controversy. I still expect YOY inflation to drop below 3% by June. Besides simple mathematics of the calculation which will decrease the number, at least some of the supply issues will be overcome. I am only surprised it took Vatox so long today to start this thread. sf-wink

January 19, 2022
7:48 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

Altared. You also believe trudeau knows what he's doing.

January 19, 2022
8:16 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

Kidd said
Altared. You also believe trudeau knows what he's doing.  

I have no idea where you got that idea. I actually do not agree with "almost" anything Trudeau or the Liberals are doing. Their fiscal policy is dangerous (non-existent other than cheque writing) and so is their cancel culture, political correctness and ethics.

January 19, 2022
8:26 pm
christinad
Members

I guess nothing has changed - some of us see it as transitory and some don't and that's fine. Lets wait and see what Macklem says next week.

January 19, 2022
9:00 pm
christinad
Members
January 19, 2022
9:01 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

It still looks like it could be transitory.

If one puts the December CPI of 144.0 on the graph, one can see that prices fell in December:

2021DecCPI.PNG

Whatever was propelling prices along the red 6%-per-annum line since January 2021 had dissipated by August. Since August, prices have been climbing at a much more moderate rate, closer to the brown 2.6%-per-annum line.

January 19, 2022
9:07 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

christinad said
Sort of good inflation news

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/commentary/article-hyperventilating-over-inflation-try-looking-beyond-the-headline/

I agree with the article.

Record 4.8% increase in the December CPI year-over-year. Yet, prices fell in December. Think about that!

January 19, 2022
9:55 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164

christinad said
6% increase for oranges and they are not very good this year. l am really interested to see what the bank of canada does next week.  

I watch the TV show, "Boom and Bust" hosted by Tony Clement. I find it thought-provoking, at times. One episode discussed what is driving inflation. If it is transitory and primarily a result of supply-chain issues, then all the rate increases in the world cannot solve the physical problem.

Another idea raised was the notion that people are losing faith in the value of the Canadian dollar and trying to crystalize their monetary wealth into hard/structural products such as houses to retain value.

christinad said

Does it really matter whether or not inflation is transitory, if people act as if it is (or isn't), regardless of the facts? sf-wink

January 20, 2022
5:07 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Norman1 said
Record 4.8% increase in the December CPI year-over-year. Yet, prices fell in December. Think about that!  

This article is behind the paywall and I won't be paying to read it, but my grocery bill disagrees with that optimism.

So does my heating bill that just came with the notice "natural gas prices increased 25% comparing to previous year."

So does Amazon, where I keep the list of regular necessities I am ordering online, and can compare current prices with pricing of same products I've ordered previously.

I am also noticing grocery store "price adjustments," which are noticeably up, specifically in December and January.

Yes, I know, it is an anecdotal evidence, but this is what I have to live with.

January 20, 2022
5:48 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

Alexandre said

This article is behind the paywall and I won't be paying to read it, but my grocery bill disagrees with that optimism.

So does my heating bill that just came with the notice "natural gas prices increased 25% comparing to previous year."

So does Amazon, where I keep the list of regular necessities I am ordering online, and can compare current prices with pricing of same products I've ordered previously.

I am also noticing grocery store "price adjustments," which are noticeably up, specifically in December and January.

Yes, I know, it is an anecdotal evidence, but this is what I have to live with.  

I am with you. For what I consume, the price went up not down in December....

January 20, 2022
6:40 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

Anecdotally, it does seem to me the things I buy are way up from a couple of years ago, but it does seem to be mainly in discretionary stuff. Food, clothes, etc are definitely pricier but at least you can still get it all, supply chains for basics are holding up well in general. But the stuff I buy for my fun (mainly outdoor sports/ rec stuff, bike related stuff, running shoes, musical instruments) are at new higher prices and never discounted (which is the way I used to buy my regularly-needed stuff), and most of it I can't even get. Glad I built up some inventory when all this started.

My home gas bill has various components, if the price of the gas itself goes up 25% that doesn't mean my total bill goes up nearly the same. And natural gas prices have been super-low for years, they're still a fraction of 2008 or so prices. That's even with additional carbon and other taxes. When I consider how my life would be without it (-14 outside right now) I'm shocked at how little it costs, if I had to I'd pay WAY more to avoid living in an unheated home.

January 20, 2022
8:34 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members

christinad said
I guess nothing has changed - some of us see it as transitory and some don't and that's fine. Lets wait and see what Macklem says next week.  

Some of us see it as some of both. Some of it remains transitory supply chain issues while some of it will not go away due to potentially permanent changes in the supply chain, e.g. more inventory as compared to JIT inventory, less outsourcing, more domestic buying to reduce hostage taking, etc. IOW, risk reduction at the price of higher cost inputs. Some of the 'inefficiencies' will likely be permanent.

Example: Auto manufacturers made a huge mistake cutting back on their orders of chips in 2Q2020. The bean counters didn't want that inventory accumulating with impacts on the bottom line....and it has cost those manufacturers dearly. Toyota not so much since they mostly kept their supply chain alive. That has caused huge increases in the value of used cars on a temporary basis. I have an old 2007 vintage car I will be selling in March. It's value is well over what it was worth almost 2 years ago but that will go away as soon as dealer lots are full of new cars again.

Example: Trucking firms need to start paying more to fill the driver shortage. As of now, there are not enough drivers to keep the supply chain going. It will take months to get new drivers on the road.

One area of more likely permanent change will be the ongoing and probably increasing impacts of climate change that would have occurred regardless of anything else. Weather events are causing havoc in the supply chain through destruction of crops, interruption of logistics, etc.

January 20, 2022
11:00 am
christinad
Members

I certainly hope some of it is transitory. I need a new dishwasher and prices have rose by 10% and there isn't a lot of stock. Something i never thought of that will be impacted are my strata fees and i am concerned by how much they might increase. I am looking forward if interest rates increase that i can make a little more money.

January 20, 2022
11:34 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

christinad said
I certainly hope some of it is transitory. I need a new dishwasher and prices have rose by 10% and there isn't a lot of stock. Something i never thought of that will be impacted are my strata fees and i am concerned by how much they might increase. I am looking forward if interest rates increase that i can make a little more money.  

when my inlaw needed a new washer for her condo (specific shape required), only 2 models are available. Both ended up OOS for 3 months (was told 1 month initially.)
So if you do need ur dishwasher regularly and soon, keep that in mind. Pandemic affect everything big or small unfortunately..

January 20, 2022
12:48 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1109
No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.