Haventree Bank: Canada's Newest June 11, 2018 | Page 2 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Haventree Bank: Canada's Newest June 11, 2018
April 26, 2022
10:54 am
semi-retired
Members
Forum Posts: 232
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just got a 1 yr GIC for 3.45% through Scrivens Financial. CDIC insured.Exceptional service.

April 27, 2022
9:45 am
hwyc
GTA
Members
Forum Posts: 1171

Got a Haventree non-compound term (via GICwealth) matured today . For some reason, principal is payout by cheque but interest is directly deposited by Haventree. Wished principal can also be directly deposited as well.

2021 T5 was received in mail timely in mid Feb.

… yes the Haventree cheque pit stopped at GICweath & I opted to pick up at their office to save time.

April 27, 2022
10:21 am
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 217

I'm on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a WEALTH ONE 1 year gic through GIC WEALTH MANAGEMENT. Haven't purchased through a broker before. They tell me that when the gic matures, the check gets mailed to GICWEALTH MANAGEMENT--i.e., not directly to me. Trying to get my head around that.

April 27, 2022
12:04 pm
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

hwyc said
Got a Haventree non-compound term (via GICwealth) matured today . For some reason, principal is payout by cheque but interest is directly deposited by Haventree. Wished principal can also be directly deposited as well.

2021 T5 was received in mail timely in mid Feb.

… yes the Haventree cheque pit stopped at GICweath & I opted to pick up at their office to save time.  

Often, if the cheque cannot be direct deposited, the cheque is postdated well in advance, so no need to pick it up. Confirm that with the broker. I use GIC Wealth a lot and am very happy with the service.

April 27, 2022
4:33 pm
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 634

mustang said
I'm on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a WEALTH ONE 1 year gic through GIC WEALTH MANAGEMENT. Haven't purchased through a broker before. They tell me that when the gic matures, the check gets mailed to GICWEALTH MANAGEMENT--i.e., not directly to me. Trying to get my head around that.  

Sorry to deviate briefly from the subject of this thread, in order to respond to mustang's post here. If you are more comfortable with dealing directly with Wealth One Bank, you should phone Wealth One Bank and there is a good chance they will match the rate available from the broker (from my experience). I would strongly recommend not exceeding CDIC limit with Wealth One Bank.

With purchases through GIC brokers/agents, I believe that post-dated GIC principal maturity cheques are mailed to the GIC brokers/agents in the hope that the client will roll over the investment funds with the broker/agent.

April 27, 2022
7:41 pm
AllanB
Banned
Forum Posts: 200

mustang said
I'm on the cusp of pulling the trigger on a WEALTH ONE 1 year gic through GIC WEALTH MANAGEMENT. Haven't purchased through a broker before.  

I think you mean Haventree.

Does anyone know what rate w1 topped out at Gw.?

April 27, 2022
7:58 pm
mustang
Members
Forum Posts: 217

GR said

Sorry to deviate briefly from the subject of this thread, in order to respond to mustang's post here. If you are more comfortable with dealing directly with Wealth One Bank, you should phone Wealth One Bank and there is a good chance they will match the rate available from the broker (from my experience). I would strongly recommend not exceeding CDIC limit with Wealth One Bank.

With purchases through GIC brokers/agents, I believe that post-dated GIC principal maturity cheques are mailed to the GIC brokers/agents in the hope that the client will roll over the investment funds with the broker/agent.  

Thanks for the suggestion, GR. Actually, I'm pretty much ok with buying via GIC WEALTH MANAGEMENT, just a little wary, not having gone down this road. Indeed, as you note, I was told that on maturity, about 2 weeks in advance the check would be mailed to the broker, so they would have a shot at getting me to roll the funds over. And, I'm sort of ok with that, as well-- although I would be relying on them mailing me the check. Certainly not my druthers.

April 28, 2022
10:17 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9258

I was told that the deposit brokers have deals with their client FIs whereby the FI agrees not to sell to the public at a higher rate than the broker. I'm less sure about whether the FI is allowed to offer the same rate as broker. It makes sense from a business perspective.
One FI told me they would not sell directly to me if they knew I was also buying their GICs from a deposit broker.

October 29, 2023
10:04 am
althisa
Members
Forum Posts: 105

Haventree Bank offering some competitive GIC rates in the 2yr and 3yr categories
https://www.haventreebank.com/en/deposits/current-deposit-rates/
Screen-Shot-2023-10-29-at-1.01.59-PM.png

October 29, 2023
11:16 am
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 634

Through GIC brokers, Haventree Bank GICs with a minimum of $20k, as of Oct. 27, paid 6.09%, 6.11%, 5.86%, 5.79% and 5.83% annually for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 years, respectively.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.