Have you saved enough for your health? $2,700 per year | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Have you saved enough for your health? $2,700 per year
November 5, 2016
12:05 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Interesting recent Globe & Mail article about health care costs: Have you saved enough for your health?

This excerpt mentions the amount and an expected 5% inflation of health care costs:

…The institute [Canadian Institute for Health Information] says costs paid out of pocket for a range of medical care that includes prescription drugs (the portion not covered by provincial drug plans), para-medical services, dental and glasses, currently average around $2,700 for people between the ages of 55 and 80 and more than $5,600 a year for those who are older. The inflation rate for a full range of goods and services is running at about 1.3 per cent these days. For health-care costs, think about 5 per cent.

November 5, 2016
4:29 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

And that doesn't include the huge cost of live-in caregivers or paid-by-the-hour.
Increasingly, the nursing homes seem to be occupied by people who can't afford to pay someone to help them at home. I visit one regularly, and nobody in their right mind would want to live there. The only good thing, I suppose, is that most of them aren't in their right minds. However, many of them are scary places. I see things going on in the one I visit that I know are against the law but I am too worn out from other struggles with the health care system to take them on.

Our society has been eating away at the Canada Health Act for some time, and this is the result.

November 11, 2016
10:10 pm
Norman1
Members

I don't think all the retirement homes are so lacking. One that I used to visit was quite nice. Beautiful dining room. Piano in the large living room.

A friend had picked that one for himself. It had a long waiting list. He waited about three years before a spot become available for him to move in.

It wasn't cheap. I don't remember the exact cost my friend had told me. It was definitely more than $2,000/month. Might even been over $3,000/month!sf-surprised

November 12, 2016
5:46 pm
Loonie
Members

Retirement homes are a completely different entity from nursing homes.

However, since the nursing homes, which are government-regulated, are often so bad, the retirement homes, which are strictly pay-as-you go, are now extending their services.

This is the way it now works in Ontario. All nursing homes cost the same except for the distinction between private, semi-private and ward rates. The very poor will have their costs entirely subsidized by government at the ward rate if they don't have enough income. Some nursing homes, even at the ward rate, are decent and in fact provide semi-private or even own room with shared bathroom, but most do not. The nursing homes that are good typically have enormous wait lists of several years. So, if you can't afford private care and you require more care than the government will provide in your own home, then you are desperate for a nursing home bed. In that case, you are pretty much forced to accept a poor quality home, which you will not likely ever get out of even if you have your name on wait lists for other places as there will always be someone more desperate than you since you are already accommodated, however inadequately.

If you have money, then you can live in a retirement home. There are some very inexpensive ones, but they are typically hell-holes, the kind that get profiled on newsmagazine stories. The liveable ones range from about $2500 to $5000/month although there may be some exceptions that are even more expensive.

Now comes the tricky part. If you are living in a retirement home, you are there at the mercy of management. When they deem that you require more care, they can kick you out. However, increasingly, they are seeing your decline as a profit-making opportunity. Thus, they will offer you the possibility of remaining in the retirement home (which is almost always nicer than any nursing home, all things being equal) as long as you are willing and able to pay for additional services which they will provide for you for a price. This can, and often does, literally add untold thousands to your bill. It is still not a nursing home; it is a retirement home. You are obligated to only hire the people they make available to you. Because it is a retirement home, the safeguards which are laid out for nursing homes in considerable detail in the legislation are not available to you. Great deal, eh?
And, yes, it will likely get worse.

Been there. And not done yet.

November 12, 2016
6:55 pm
Norman1
Members

Forgot about the difference between a nursing home and retirement home! I had been using both terms interchangeably.

I think my friend was in a retirement home. He had a one-bedroom unit initially. He switched later to a bachelor unit. He had his own private bathroom.

As you described, the retirement home was one that offered more care. There was one floor, with access control, for those with dementia. My friend explained that the access control was not to keep people out. Instead, it was to keep those with dementia from wandering off the floor and potentially out of the building.

It sounds like the more I can afford to pay, the more choices I will have when it is time.

November 12, 2016
10:19 pm
Loonie
Members

Yes, your friend was definitely in a retirement home. Nursing home accommodation doesn't come with separate bedrooms.

Yes, money buys you choices. Quality health care should not be dependent on money, which is the case now. That is the whole point of the Canada Health Act. "Retirement homes" that are in effect functioning as nursing homes, such as you have described with the secure unit, ought to fall under the jurisdiction of the Long Term Care Homes Act, which governs the nursing homes, for the protection of the residents. The regulations governing retirement homes are much looser.

I could write a book on what I've been through with "the system".

Please write your comments in the forum.