Consumer Price Index, February 2022: 146.8 (+5.7%, 12 month change) | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Consumer Price Index, February 2022: 146.8 (+5.7%, 12 month change)
March 16, 2022
10:01 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6766
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Details from Statistics Canada: The Daily: Consumer Price Index, February 2022

March 16, 2022
11:23 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

The US Fed rate increase was only 25bp today so that isn't going to have much effect on reining in inflation. I guess they needed to start off gentle but it seems like hitting a tiger with a cooked noodle.

March 16, 2022
12:04 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Early February 2022.

Bank of Russia:
Inflation near 8.8%
Raises key rate to 9.5%

Bank of Canada:
Inflation near 5%
Keeps key rate at .25%

----------------------------

March 2022.

Bank of Russia:
Inflation goes up by 2% in 2 weeks
Raises key rate to 20%

Bank of Canada:
Inflation near 6%
Raises key rate to .5%

------------------

Can we please invite Bank of Russia governor Elvira Nabiullina to run Bank of Canada? Pretty please?

March 16, 2022
12:10 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

The Russian situation is an anomaly. It is designed to prop up the rouble/ruble from doing a hard face plant to near zero which would exacerbate their inflation even more. The Russians will default anyway most likely.

March 16, 2022
12:12 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2875

Can we please invite Bank of Russia governor Elvira Nabiullina to run Bank of Canada? Pretty please?  

I am sure you will regret that wish if it comes true 🙂

hint: think Zimbabwe and its currency.

March 16, 2022
12:27 pm
Norman1
Members

AltaRed said
The US Fed rate increase was only 25bp today so that isn't going to have much effect on reining in inflation. I guess they needed to start off gentle but it seems like hitting a tiger with a cooked noodle.

The interest rate hikes so far are not to fight the inflation we are seeing. The hikes are to undo the supportive emergency low rates that are no longer needed. I see that hike-to-fight-inflation narrative as a misinterpretation by the media.

In his March 3 speech, the Bank of Canada governor explains the three key elements of the current inflation. Excess demand, that would be addressed by higher interest rates, is not an issue yet:

This brings me to the third element of the inflation story—the overall balance of demand and supply in the economy. As we indicated in January, a wide range of measures suggest economic slack has been absorbed. The spread of the Omicron variant was a tough way to start the year, with 200,000 jobs lost in January—mostly among the same services sector workers who have borne the brunt of pandemic layoffs all along. But other data have generally been robust, and with public health restrictions now easing, we expect strong growth to resume. With the economy just back to its potential output, the elevated inflation we are experiencing today is not the result of too much demand in the economy. But if we look ahead, with slack absorbed and considerable momentum in demand, we need higher interest rates to dampen spending growth so that demand does not run significantly ahead of supply.

In practice, the three key elements driving inflation are interacting to push inflation up. But raising the policy rate will not fix supply chain disruptions, nor will it lower oil prices. …

March 16, 2022
12:37 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

As usual, the BoC is way behind what is going on in the real world.

Nero fiddled while Rome burned.

March 16, 2022
12:41 pm
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914

savemoresaveoften said

hint: think Zimbabwe and its currency.  

IOW ... "Careful What You Wish For" sf-wink

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

March 16, 2022
1:00 pm
lifeonanisland
Members
Forum Posts: 236

The purpose of interest rate hikes is not to deal with inflation? What the heck do you think it's for, then? If central banks don't get realistic about raising rates in a meaningful way, the damage could be catastrophic. The problem is that they're sh@* scared of cratering the economy. Governments and banks have been complicit in creating a culture of debt in North America. Few countries are more in debt per capita than Canada. I think rate increases will cause a lot of hardship and pain, and possibly result in a change in government. But left unchecked, inflation will continue to soar, and coupled with a retreat of economic growth, the possibilities are far worse than a small percentage of Canadians losing their homes and a significant retraction in home prices (which I think would be a good thing, but our government seems to disagree despite what they claim).

March 16, 2022
1:12 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

It’s the same narrative. The inflation exists regardless of the cause and not increasing rates means there are too many people getting hit. April will be an entire year of high inflation and one measly 25bps increase at this time, is too late. All I can say is at least we aren’t 7.9% like the U.S.

March 16, 2022
1:26 pm
gicjunkie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 653

Vatox said
All I can say is at least we aren’t 7.9% like the U.S.  

Just wait until the rising fuel costs properly hit the supply chain!

March 16, 2022
2:04 pm
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

savemoresaveoften said

I think my message may have lost in translation.

The war started on February 24th. Early February is still peace. Inflation in Russia was comparable to Canada in early February. Their inflation target is 4%, Canadian is 3%. Close enough.
Compare key rate from two Central Banks: night and day.

Then, some event happens that is triggering inflation. Instead of saying "inflation is transitory" and saying "maybe, sometimes next month, perhaps we will increase key rate, by at most 1/2%" she takes drastic measures.
She does her job, even if political leadership is failing theirs.

Elvira Nabiullina is a woman, but out of all Central Banks governors she is the only one who has balls.

Nowadays, she may be a captain of Titanic when it comes to keeping the rouble afloat, but she has my respect as she does everything she can and should to not let it sink.

March 16, 2022
3:01 pm
Norman1
Members

lifeonanisland said
The purpose of interest rate hikes is not to deal with inflation? What the heck do you think it's for, then? …

The hikes are to reverse the emergency cuts at the start of the pandemic. There isn't going to be any dampening on inflation until interest rates climb above what they were before the pandemic.

Not going to be disaster either. Credit card borrowers didn't see a drop in borrowing rates during the pandemic and won't see an increase either when prime rate climbs from Bank of Canada hikes. Mortgage borrowers have been stress tested for higher rates.

March 16, 2022
3:30 pm
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1164

lifeonanisland said
The problem is that they're sh@* scared of cratering the economy.

According to economist Gary Schilling, out of the last 12 times interest rates were raised to combat inflation, 11 of them caused a recession.

March 16, 2022
3:39 pm
cgouimet
Members
Forum Posts: 1474

Alexandre said

savemoresaveoften said

I think my message may have lost in translation.

The war started on February 24th. Early February is still peace. Inflation in Russia was comparable to Canada in early February. Their inflation target is 4%, Canadian is 3%. Close enough.
Compare key rate from two Central Banks: night and day.

Then, some event happens that is triggering inflation. Instead of saying "inflation is transitory" and saying "maybe, sometimes next month, perhaps we will increase key rate, by at most 1/2%" she takes drastic measures.
She does her job, even if political leadership is failing theirs.

Elvira Nabiullina is a woman, but out of all Central Banks governors she is the only one who has balls.

Nowadays, she may be a captain of Titanic when it comes to keeping the rouble afloat, but she has my respect as she does everything she can and should to not let it sink.  

She also has AK-47's!

And thankfully, Canada's PM doesn't send those who disagree with the country's banker to prison for life...

CGO
March 16, 2022
5:06 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218

HermanH said

lifeonanisland said
The problem is that they're sh@* scared of cratering the economy.

According to economist Gary Schilling, out of the last 12 times interest rates were raised to combat inflation, 11 of them caused a recession.  

And those recessions are resets that weren’t allowed to play out. Which is why all the problems keep building up, higher and larger. Society has forgotten how everything works and has switched to whatever they want at a given moment. All of the protocols were put in place to manage the system and those protocols have been ignored or sidelined.

March 16, 2022
7:02 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3922

I agree on that, Vatox, we are people that will not tolerate the party ending, even for a necessary while, and the successful politicians realize they are required to cater to that sentiment if they want to remain in office.

March 17, 2022
2:59 am
RetirEd
Members
Forum Posts: 1013

The Russian interest rate increase was not to dampen inflation, which was minimal before the war against Ukraine. It was to try to stop money from flowing out of the country and its investment climate.

Wealthy Russians were caught between massive loss of purchasing power due to the ruble's collapse, and the threat of frozen assets outside the country. The high interest rate was a carrot to keep that cash at home.

Not that investment in Russia is exactly like it is in the U.S. and other western countries - the government can finance whatever it wants without much regard to public confidence.

Using interest rates to control inflation is a small, secondary use (one might even say misuse) of the lever. And it can only be used gently, because high interest rates drive up business and consumer costs, which are MAJOR causes of inflation.
RetirEd

RetirEd

March 17, 2022
9:27 am
lifeonanisland
Members
Forum Posts: 236

HermanH, you may be right that, in the past, recessions have been one outcome of interest rate hikes to battle inflation. I wouldn't disagree. But I also totally agree with Vatox and Bill...and I guess it's all in how you view a recession. Some might view it as really negative thing. I see it as something that helps heal the inequities and imbalances in a financial system, and the prelude to better times ahead. The situation could be defused with meaningful interest rate increases, not weak attempts like those we've seen so far. This would yield harsh short term hardships, but that's the pill we need to take to get out of this cycle of debt slavery. However, as Bill notes, we are people that will not tolerate the party ending.

Please write your comments in the forum.