CBC article: Retiree out $300K after Canada Post loses inheritance cheque sent by registered mail | Page 2 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
CBC article: Retiree out $300K after Canada Post loses inheritance cheque sent by registered mail
September 24, 2023
10:43 am
HermanH
Members
Forum Posts: 1166
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Norman1 said
Some of the MICR digits are punched out so the cheque isn't automatically processed and the funds debited a second time.

I didn't know that some of the MICR digits would be punched out. So, if the executor had issued a certified cheque in lieu of a bank draft, would it be easier to locate and stop? It cannot be processed automatically, so manual human intervention is going to be required. Does this add an extra level of security and the ability to enforce a Stop Payment order?

For example, if the account for the lost certified cheque is closed and a new instrument is issued (either certified or draft), shouldn't that guarantee that if the lost cheque is found and negotiation is attempted, it would be stopped immediately?

September 24, 2023
11:56 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6777

That would not be the case.

When it applies its cheque certification stamp to the cheque, the bank legally certifies that the cheque is good and commits itself to honouring the cheque when presented later.

It won't matter if the client chequing account is no longer open.

September 24, 2023
2:59 pm
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

So, bank drafts and certified cheques cannot be cancelled and both can be counterfeited.

It would be a good idea if banks would keep a copy of issued bank draft or certified cheque.
And, bank customer, who purchased a bank draft or certified cheque also would keep a copy and share that copy with intended recipient after original bank draft or certified cheque would be lost or destroy by fire, etc.

Later bank can compare both copy's and also confirm recipient ID's (at least 2 or better 3) and happily transfer money to that confirmed intended recipient.

After that original bank draft or certified cheque, if ever found by someone else, would not be relevant anymore.

Quick and simple solution for this terrible problem.

September 24, 2023
8:58 pm
HermanH
Members

I think another valid question would be, how can a cheque made out to 'James Johnson' be cashed by the finder 'Abigail Khan'? Are payee names truly worthless? I am understanding the solidity of the instrument, but question how any mis-match can be ignored. I think that names were no longer required to match a long time ago, but I think that they were legitimate avenues of dispute and were only investigated when complaints were received.

As a teller loooong time ago, I think that RBC would always resort to the most secure method, when there was any doubt. If a cheque was in question, we would refuse the funds and send the cheque on 'Clearance', which meant it physically travelled back to the originating bank and they would have to clear the cheque and send the money before it would be released to the client. This often happened with out-of-province or -country transactions.

September 24, 2023
9:27 pm
Norman1
Members

The cheque could be endorsed on the back by James Johnson in blank or specially "Pay to the order of Abigail Khan". Abigail Khan would then be able to cash the cheque or deposit into a bank account in her name.

September 24, 2023
9:41 pm
Norman1
Members

Winnie said
It would be a good idea if banks would keep a copy of issued bank draft or certified cheque.

And, bank customer, who purchased a bank draft or certified cheque also would keep a copy and share that copy with intended recipient after original bank draft or certified cheque would be lost or destroy by fire, etc.

Later bank can compare both copy's and also confirm recipient ID's (at least 2 or better 3) and happily transfer money to that confirmed intended recipient.

After that original bank draft or certified cheque, if ever found by someone else, would not be relevant anymore.

Quick and simple solution for this terrible problem.

Bank has no obligation to accept any copies of the bank draft or certified cheque. Accepting a copy does not release the bank from its legal obligaition to accept the original bank draft or certified cheque when it is presented later.

Original payee may have endorsed the certfied cheque over to someone else. So, it would actually be the endorsee who is entitled to the funds when that person presents the original certified cheque and not the original payee presenting just a copy of the certified cheque.

There is a reason why cheques say "Pay to the order of" and not just "Pay to".

September 24, 2023
11:41 pm
HermanH
Members

Norman1 said
The cheque could be endorsed on the back by James Johnson in blank or specially "Pay to the order of Abigail Khan". Abigail Khan would then be able to cash the cheque or deposit into a bank account in her name.  

Yes, I understand that the finder could fraudulently endorse it over to themselves. I think that banks are still forced to 'know their customers'; which is why there is so much damn security and background checks.

If someone walks into TD with the cheque and it is endorsed as suggested, I might think that such a large sum might trigger their 'know your client' clauses. I think that many years ago I encountered an instance whereby I was forced to open an account to establish my credentials, deposit the instrument, and then transfer/withdraw after they got to see all my personal information. I hope that age is not fogging my memory too badly. Maybe I wasn't exactly forced, but it might have been the most expedient solution.

Banks can be very stingy and sticky, when they so desire. This situation sounds like one of those situations.

September 25, 2023
1:55 am
mechone
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 174

I issued bank drafts for large amounts when my father died 4 of them as executor and they all drove to my house to get them ..really would would drive a few hours to pickup 300k?

September 25, 2023
9:06 am
Winnie
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 463

Norman1 said
Original payee may have endorsed the certified cheque over to someone else.
There is a reason why cheques say "Pay to the order of" and not just "Pay to".  

Yes, I completely agree with you, thank you.
There is no easy solution for this problem, I see that now.

September 25, 2023
1:25 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Why go through all this gyration? Why complicate your life? Just open a chequing account at TD Bank and ask them to deposit the funds to that account. The KISS principle.

September 25, 2023
2:48 pm
TINAisOver
The Six
Members
Forum Posts: 69

This is something that I have read in the news before, Certified cheque or bank draft lost by courier. For the courier, it's just another parcel lost enroute to its destination.
I only used these types of payments when a party involved is an unknown person or entity if there is no other choice or its the most efficient.
This form of cash transfers is really of a time before electronic fund transfers were readily available to the average bank account holder. I haven't used this form of payment in years.
These days the largest amounts I move is from myself to myself at another FI.
I primarily use EFT if the amounts are within their limits. Alterna Bank is one of my FI's. Alterna sending amounts are significantly less than the receiving amounts so I tend to send cash there by EFT but I then write cheques to transfer out. Lately I have been using the Tang app on Android to photo image my own
cheques to deposit.
After reading this , I don't think I will be writing another certified cheque again. Worst case scenario is to write a cheque, send by currier express mail and track. if something just doesn't look right . Initiate a stop payment ASAP. Still not guaranteed to go flawlessly , but a better chance of success.

Trader first, Saver second

September 25, 2023
5:42 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

mechone said
I issued bank drafts for large amounts when my father died 4 of them as executor and they all drove to my house to get them ..really would would drive a few hours to pickup 300k?  

The story just proved some are just beyond lazy / silly / not acting what a rational person would...

$300k is life changing to the person, yet trust registered mail.....

September 25, 2023
6:46 pm
friskyib
British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 117

Just some fyi’s

Canada post will only insure a cheque for the value of a piece of paper.

Transferring registered funds to another FI requires a cheque. Who is on the hook if it’s lost?
People’s Trust does an EFT between them and Oaken. Whew.

September 26, 2023
6:55 pm
Greedy Guy
Members
Forum Posts: 121
September 26, 2023
6:55 pm
MG
Members
Forum Posts: 263

Well, well, well, the envelope has now been found! Behind a drawer in the post office, no less.

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/retiree-shock-canada-post-finds-205359512.html

September 27, 2023
8:48 pm
Norman1
Members

That's great news for the heir! Unfortunately, not all such cases have a happy ending.

Late June 2015, an Ontario widow received a $273,225 bank draft from her real eastate lawyer and she misplaced it. The bank draft was still missing by April 2016.

September 28, 2023
4:01 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2885

Power of media. When a story gets exposed, everyone works twice as hard to actually try to solve the problem.
As powerful as ‘I will speak to your boss instead’ 🙂

September 28, 2023
6:36 am
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

Norman1 said
Late June 2015, an Ontario widow received a $273,225 bank draft from her real eastate lawyer and she misplaced it. The bank draft was still missing by April 2016.  

It happens, so easy to misplace a small piece of paper. Just like the person with the $70 million lottery ticket. They never found the ticket or the person who bought the ticket.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.