Bank of Canada raises prime rates +.25% - Sept 8, 2010 | Page 2 | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Bank of Canada raises prime rates +.25% - Sept 8, 2010
September 11, 2010
5:07 pm
IHGAPTPI
Guests

Dear Donny, Mike and ld :

I went through two different avenues that I have at my disposal to access the Ally website and neither one mimic the screen cap that you have provided. Both state the 2% figure as I stated.

I have absolutely no reason as to why yours was different than my own. None whatsoever. Therefore, if in fact both you and ld saw what you have provided, I will stand corrected. I also would then like to extend my sincerest apologies to you all.

As stated earlier the posts that were submitted were never meant to be rude. However, if all agree that they were then again, please accept my apologies.

Cheers,

September 11, 2010
9:58 pm
ld
Guests

Good-evening,

A most lively and entertaining conversation. I dub thee 'Ally-gate' !!!!!!!!;)

Great website Peter (admin)...i'll be checking the comparison chart through next week to see if any rates increase.

September 12, 2010
1:29 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Doug,

Very few people (outside of your family and/or friends) would say this but, WELL DONE buying that TD stock at $36. March 09 you really had to have a lot of balls to buy into the market which to be fair looked like it was going to go down even further. Mar09 was the bottom. I sure didn't have the risk tolarence to buy into that market as it would have been easy to lose another 25% or more on your captial.

Now the question is, are you going to sell the stock now and take the profits OR possibily ride it down?

hey Mike,

Thank you for your kind words. The rest of my portfolio I bought primarily in Dec. 2008 and January 2009 (not exactly the bottom but near the bottom). My only regret was only buying 75 TD shares at that price and not buying more. Actually, the funny thing is, I'm not planning on selling TD and even if it goes down significantly, I'll still continue to hold it. I plan to hold it very long-term - perhaps the next forty years or so. In fact, ironically, I'm waiting for it to go down again so I can add to my position. Same with my Scotiabank (average cost $43 per share) and CIBC shares (average cost $50 per share). With juicy average annual dividends of 4% or more, and little downside risk over the long-term, how can you go wrong!? 😉

Cheers,
Doug

September 14, 2010
7:23 am
mike
Members
Forum Posts: 161
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

hey Mike,

Thank you for your kind words.

You are most welcome. 🙂 I think the internet could use more kind words more often.

If you are holding it for long term, hey, why not right? As long as the bank doesn't go under or recall it's dividend or shares go less in value then you are fine (lets hope none of that happens).

History tells us that September and October are horrible months for the stock market, so I'll wait it out in cash and see about coming in end of Oct. I can't time the market but it's (IMO) so risky that I enjoy my sleep at night more than making a few thousand bucks (or losing much more).

I checked with my ATB investment advisor today about going into a short term bond and here are the yields. Thus, if ANYONE thinks on here 1.20% is bad in a savings account, it's pretty good vs the added risk of getting:

SUMMARY:

Average corporate bond yield: 1.335% - 1.575% (less than 2 years).
Average provincial bond yield: 0.98% - 1.14% (less than 2 years)

Have a great day

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.