Any one know of an online income tax calculator for 201"6" ? | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Any one know of an online income tax calculator for 201"6" ?
April 28, 2016
9:01 pm
kanaka
Members
Forum Posts: 1232
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi I am looking at doing more RRIF withdrawals this year and would like to see what makes me or breaks me!!!

Once income splitting is taken into account, I would like to stay within the first level of tax rates, federally and also max out on the over 65 personal credit.

I have built an excel program but I am sure that it's ok until it tells me how much tax I have to pay and am looking for a sanity check!

April 28, 2016
11:53 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9238

I asked a question on the forum last December (perhaps November) based on the same quest, but it seemed nothing was going to be available until after the new year when the tax forms came out.
Also, remember that governments can change the rules partway through the year if so inclined.

However, in my view, what it boils down to is that you must stay at or below the point at which the age credit starts to get reduced in order to get the very best deal - about 35,500 - the specific amount is available; I may have it written down if you want me to check. Next best is to go to the top of that first tax bracket, somewhere in the low 40s.

If your income from other sources is fairly predictable, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. The problem comes when income is not predictable.

Starting last year, I kept a monthly tally of taxable income for self and spouse, which was very helpful in figuring out how much RSP/RIF to cash late in the year. I also worked out when all the clawbacks and disentitlements might kick in. It all came down to that 35,500.

Combined Fed-Prov Average Tax on 35,500 for a person over 65 worked out to about 8% by my calculations.

A word of advice, if you hadn't thought of it: the banks are required to take a 25% withholding tax if you withdraw more than the required minimum. So, you may want to leave the withdrawal until December, depending on personal circumstances.

April 29, 2016
8:40 am
kanaka
Members

Loonie said
A word of advice, if you hadn't thought of it: the banks are required to take a 25% withholding tax if you withdraw more than the required minimum. So, you may want to leave the withdrawal until December, depending on personal circumstances.

Are you talking about RRIF withdrawals that are over the minimum mandatory amount?

This applies to both RRSP and RRIF.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nd.....s-eng.html

April 29, 2016
8:56 am
kanaka
Members

Iam looking at using federal numbers stay under 45282 or to max out age credit as well to be under 35927.

Just found this handy chart on CRA site.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/nwsrm.....8-eng.html

April 29, 2016
9:37 am
kanaka
Members

Here is a method to minimize tax withholding rates and delay paying the full tax rate til tax time.

http://wheredoesallmymoneygo.c.....thdrawals/

April 29, 2016
1:50 pm
Loonie
Members

kanaka said

Loonie said

Are you talking about RRIF withdrawals that are over the minimum mandatory amount?

This applies to both RRSP and RRIF.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nd.....s-eng.html

Yes, that's the one. I was a bit off in my memory of the percentage involved.
Preet may be right that you can avoid this by spreading it out through the year (although that loophole may have since been closed for all I know), but you will still be vulnerable to FI's withdrawal fees, if any, each time. Generally, they seem to be more likely to have fees for RSP than for RiF withdrawals, so this might be a motivator to convert to RIF even if not needed for the Pension Credit. The downside is that you are then stuck with the mandatory minimum before you reach 72. However, there is, if needed, a CRA form you can fill out which enables you to re-convert the RIF to an RSP until required, but I think you would have to take the current year's mandatory withdrawal first.
Another option, if you have several smaller RSP/RIFs, is to take a bit from each, but then you still have too many of them to fiddle with. In my case, I decided to just cash in one of them entirely, as the amount was just right, and I wanted to get rid of some of them. This year I will get rid of another for sure, and possibly two.
Another thing to know is that the mandatory withdrawal rates are actually based on the previous year, not the current one. I didn't know this until I worked out what they had done. In other words, if you turn 68 this year, the rate for age 67 will apply to your RIFs this year.

April 29, 2016
2:01 pm
Loonie
Members

kanaka said

Iam looking at using federal numbers stay under 45282 or to max out age credit as well to be under 35927.

Just found this handy chart on CRA site.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/nwsrm.....8-eng.html

I think you will need to make a decision as to which goal you are pursuing. Is it going to be the 35,927 level, where you will be able to keep the age credit in its entirety, or will it be the ceiling on the first bracket, at 45, 282?

The penalty on going above the 36K is stiff in my view - 15% of overage. That's quite a bump to your bill!

One suggestion that I have heard is to at least ensure that one of you stays at 36K and gets the full age credit. As long as you are not reaching the OAS clawback, somewhere around 72K, that is probably worth looking at. You can fiddle with income splitting to make it work out.

April 29, 2016
2:19 pm
le150
Members
Forum Posts: 12
April 30, 2016
12:00 pm
kanaka
Members

Please write your comments in the forum.