$10,000 limit for undeclared and related matters taking cash out of country | General financial discussion | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
$10,000 limit for undeclared and related matters taking cash out of country
June 20, 2011
1:07 am
hermes
Members
Forum Posts: 6
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I'll be clear on this, I object to anyone telling me what I can do with my legally obtained money. However, there are definitely many limitations placed both by the state (Federal government of Canada) and corporations such as the banks. For example, even though there is nothing intrinsically illegal or immoral with cash, there is an out of date $10,000 limit for what one can take out of the country unless one fills in a form. This amount is something out of what -- the 1980s? I object to filling out this form but want to not have my money confiscated or a fine, so naturally I will comply (essentially under a gun to the head, or rather a thieving hand in my wallet).

Rant finished, hard questions next...

1. Has anyone ever taken more than 10K out (say 50K), filled out the form, and what happened?

2. Is one legally required to answer questions about the source of one's funds (I mean you don't have to talk to a cop on the street, why should it be any different at the border? Whenever I come back to canada I give 'em sh*t on principle when they ask me intrusive questions, so they hold me hours)

3. Does it help to have written proof of source of funds such as withdrawal slip and statement of earnings/inheritance etc?

4. What if the bank is closed at that hour, can they hold you?

5. Do gold coins count? I mean, some of them have legal tender value of 50 cents, even though on the open market they might sell for $800. Seems to me that there would be a solid argument that 'monetary instruments' does not include bullion or other gold/silver coins.

6. And most important, what lawyers in Canada are expert to answer these questions above?

Of course terrorists and money launderers could take advantage of any loopholes or free market laws about money, but so can honest hard-working citizens with nothing to hide.

I won't bore you with my philosophical, religious, political and financial reasons why I believe details about my financial life are none of border guard's business. I might make this a cause celebre, get the papers involved, write an article for the press, etc. I am not a drug dealer or anything like that. But I also will not submit to what I see as an increasing lack of financial freedoms.

Please write your comments in the forum.