Forbes rates EQ Bank as '#1' in Canada for 2021 | General comparisons | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Forbes rates EQ Bank as '#1' in Canada for 2021
May 8, 2021
9:55 am
Dean
Valhalla Mountains, British Columbia
Members
Forum Posts: 1914
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I don't follow Forbes all that much, so I don't know how legitimate their survey ratings are, but last month during their annual World's Best Banks Survey (conducted by Statista), they rated EQ Bank as #1 in Canada.

According to Forbes :
"Banks were rated on general satisfaction and key attributes like trust, fees, digital services and financial advice."

Forbes Link https://www.forbes.com/worlds-best-banks/#4e7bcdb21295

EQ News Link https://www.eqbank.ca/about-us/news/news-details?title=2021-04-19-eq-bank-named-1-bank-in-canada-on-forbes-list-of-the-worlds-best-banks-2021

This is what their Canadian bank survey ratings look like for this year :

#1) EQ Bank
      #2) Servus
      #3) Tangerine
      #4) Manulife Bank
      #5) Simplii Financial
      #6) Vancity
      #7) PC Financial
      #8) RBC
      #9) TD
      #10) Bank of Montreal
      #11) Scotiabank
      #12) National Bank of Canada
      #13) CIBC
      #14) Affinity Credit Union
      #15) ATB Financial

Go Figure ❗

Dean

sf-cool " Live Long, Healthy ... And Prosper! " sf-cool

May 8, 2021
12:19 pm
pooreva
Banned
Forum Posts: 440

#2 Servus?????

Please do not post such stupidity anymore....

May 8, 2021
3:07 pm
BillieBob
Members
Forum Posts: 151

#3 Tangerine? They’ve got to be kidding!

May 8, 2021
4:49 pm
Bobbyjet11
Members
Forum Posts: 67

Let's face it. They're all out to make money. There will always be unhappy customers. Personally, I like EQ but after that, I suppose it depends on what you're looking for. Oaken, for example, are not even listed and they are limited in what they offer but over the years their GIC rates have been better than most and that's why I have money there. It depends on what you are looking for.

May 8, 2021
4:51 pm
Bobbyjet11
Members
Forum Posts: 67

pooreva said
#2 Servus?????

Don't shoot the messenger.

May 9, 2021
9:18 am
Dean
Members

pooreva said

#2 Servus?????

Bobbyjet11 said

Don't shoot the messenger.  

Thank-you, Bobby ❗ sf-smile

Dean

May 9, 2021
10:17 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

Dean said
I don't follow Forbes all that much, so I don't know how legitimate their survey ratings are, but last month during their annual World's Best Banks Survey (conducted by Statista), they rated EQ Bank as #1 in Canada.

I don't think the results are meaningful. I've seen such junk at one company I worked for.

Marketing forwarded the news to all us employees. The company received a best-of-breed award for one of the products! But, I never heard of the award or the organization that issued it.

We all saw the ruse when we saw, at the bottom of the forwarded e-mail, a price list for reprints and licensing of the award!

This "award" follows the same pattern. See Statista: Forbes World’s Best Banks. Watch the video and note the restriction:

* Please note the following conditions

Without licensing the logo, the usage in marketing-activities of this award is prohibited.

May 9, 2021
11:39 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 787

What a gimmick. Thanks for the insight.

May 9, 2021
12:09 pm
Norman1
Members

I got suspicious when I saw Servus and Vancity so high in the list.

Servus: Who?

Vancity: Really? See previous post from a while back and the reality VanCity, I’m so tired of you experienced by one Vancity member.

May 9, 2021
4:30 pm
dollarbill
London, ON.
Members
Forum Posts: 22

I was one of the first to open an account with EQ. I feel it was a good investment and have done well with them.

I would recommend them anytime.

May 10, 2021
9:53 am
Dean
Members

On further thought . . .

Another indicator that the results of this Forbes survey are Hooey, is that an online-only bank (EQ Bank) made it to the #1 spot.

Given that the 'Average Joe & Jill' has little to no knowledge of online-only banks & CU's (and don't use them), it's Highly Suspicious that EQ Bank would make it to the top spot ... let alone even be on the list at all ❗

I thought Forbes was a legitimate outfit ... apparently Not sf-confused

Dean

May 10, 2021
11:21 am
Norman1
Members

I'm sure there will be lots of what-the @#$@ moments from some people seeing the award and having a look at EQ Bank.

ATM access? Debit card? Where is the line of credit? What the !#$@!?!? I need to have an account at another bank to have an account at Canada's #1 bank? sf-frown

May 10, 2021
11:46 am
cristunity
Banned
Forum Posts: 42

LOL if you read some of the Google Reviews on EQ Bank, you really have to wonder about the credibility of these so-called awards. Here's just a small sample:

EQ is a good place to park your money with decent returns, but God help you if you need any customer service!! I have been trying to get a simple money transfer from another institution since Jan 25/2021 with no success or ANY help from EQ! There seems to be NO management who cares or has any authority to follow through! Totally frustrating experience!! Time to pull out I guess!!

When writing this review, I searched to see if it was possible to give 0 stars. I was sad to see this just wasn't an option. The customer service is a joke and the website and app leave almost everything to be desired. So I guess the 1 star they earned was for the sleek logo?

EQ Bank is disaster to deal with if anything goes wrong with your account or transfer. Virtually there is no customer service and support. Interest rates used to be ok but for transfer even after 3 months they don’t seem to care and it is still processing as they lost our check. I guess this is what we get from bare minimum bank as they already reduced interest to 1.25 and I have already lost interest rate for 3 months and all the mental stress they gave me while dealing with them and still there is no resolution yet. I would recommend to stay away from EQ bank if you don’t like to call them every 3 days after 3 months of money transfer and get no resolution at all and don’t want to add additional frustration in your life. Time to end the banking relationship with EQ.

Personally, I am OK with using EQ for non-registered funds (HISA and GICs) up to CDIC limits. But I would never deal with them for registered funds. I don't care what they offer. Chasing them down to fix maturity instructions or transfer funds out is a nightmare that I don't need.

May 10, 2021
12:11 pm
Dean
Members

Norman1 said

I'm sure there will be lots of what-the @#$@ moments from some people seeing the award and having a look at EQ Bank.

ATM access? Debit card? Where is the line of credit? What the !#$@!?!? I need to have an account at another bank to have an account at Canada's #1 bank? sf-frown  

Dean

November 3, 2021
11:23 am
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2884

A bit of an old thread but a reasonable place to park a 'good customer service' experience with EQ Bank. Yesterday afternoon, I initiated 2 'transfer ins' via EQ Bank from an external bank account. Not until about 8pm PDT (11pm Eastern) did I realize I'd done my math wrong and needed to cancel one of the transfers.

Lo and behold, EQ Bank had a service interruption at that time when one could not log in, but their service interruption notice provided phone number and 'live chat' options to contact them. Live chat worked very well with an agent named Vivian and she was able to cancel one of the transfers before cutoff time of 11:30pm Eastern, after which the transfers would have been executed. Assuming Vivian was from the Eastern time zone, I was impressed they had live bodies on duty, either at the office or remotely, at that time of day.

Please write your comments in the forum.