BMO new smart saver acc 2.85% till Feb 29 2020 | General comparisons | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
BMO new smart saver acc 2.85% till Feb 29 2020
August 29, 2019
7:15 pm
miro
Members
Forum Posts: 37
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Hi everyone,
This promo is running since Aug 1 but it's still good until mar next year.
I took part of the previous promo for 3.25% at the beginning of the year and everything worked flawlessly.

link

Please read these Terms and Conditions and take note of the following:

Earn 2.85% until Saturday, February 29, 2020. For every dollar that you deposit into a Qualifying Smart Saver Account, you are eligible to earn a bonus interest rate.

The bonus interest rate (‘offer’) begins on Thursday, August 1, 2019 at 12:00 AM ET and ends on Saturday, February 29, 2020 at 11:59 PM ET.
The offer is only applicable on a new Smart Saver Account opened during the bonus period (Thursday, August 1, 2019 to Saturday, February 29, 2020) using the exclusive URL provided. For clarity purposes Smart Saver accounts opened through any other method do not qualify; Savings Builder, Premium Rate Savings & US$ Premium Rate Savings Account do not qualify for the offer.
The offer is available on deposits made between Thursday, August 1, 2019 and Saturday, February 29, 2020.

Interest Calculation:

The Qualifying Smart Saver Account will earn the bonus interest rate of 2.85% until Saturday, February 29, 2020. After the bonus period ends on Saturday, February 29, 2020, the Qualifying Smart Saver Accounts will earn interest on the Posted Rate as per the bank’s website.
For Qualifying Smart Saver Accounts opened during the offer period, the bonus rate is earned on the full daily closing balance up to a balance limit of $5,000,000.
All interest related to this offer is calculated on the daily account closing balance and paid monthly on the last business day of the month. Interest is paid in the same currency as the account. Interest rates are calculated on a per annum basis.
The bonus interest rate & posted rate may change any time without any prior notice.

General:

This offer is non-transferable and available only if you have been presented the offer via an email or through online banking or by a BMO employee.
A limit of one offer per customer is available (in the case of joint or multiple ownership only the customer receiving the offer can accept it).
We may change the Offer and Terms and Conditions at any time without notice.
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to suspend, disqualify, limit or revoke the offer to any account holder found to have manipulated or abused the bonus interest offer, its fairness, integrity or operation.
To the extent that these Terms and Conditions are inconsistent with any other communication, advertisement or statement from the Bank, these Terms and Conditions will supersede all other Messages.

August 29, 2019
7:53 pm
Bud
Banned
Forum Posts: 1375

this offer is totally bogus for anyone who already has a smartsaver account

the lesson here is shutdown all your past promo bank accounts once uve takin advantage of the offers so you qualify for any future offers

August 29, 2019
10:11 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I don't see anywhere to access the offer, if it really exists.

August 29, 2019
10:22 pm
Bud
Banned

theyll try to get u to sign up for a cheqing acct ding it might be compulsory to get the bonus rate

August 29, 2019
11:09 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

The link Earn 2.85%1 interest with a BMO Smart Saver Account that miro provided shows the offer.

However, the offer is targeted. This is in the fine print:

General:

• This offer is non-transferable and available only if you have been presented the offer via an email or through online banking or by a BMO employee.

August 30, 2019
    12:32 am
    Loonie
    Members
    Forum Posts: 9245
    sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

As I thought. You can't access it.
    Another dud offer.

August 30, 2019
    5:52 am
    hwyc
    GTA
    Members
    Forum Posts: 1169

Looks like it is yet another targeted offer to entice existing BMO clients to open new accounts. Here's the Highinterestsavings thread on the previous offer miro took part. @Miro - good to know you have positive experience previously.

... now wondering if there was offer on new money for existing account holders in BMO Smart Saver past.

August 30, 2019
    6:05 am
    Bud
    Banned

walk into any branch to inquire itll be offered

August 30, 2019
    8:01 am
    Good
    Banned
    Forum Posts: 98

I closed my smart saver account months ago and the premium savings account.

Only problem with Bank Of Montreal is the CALL CENTRE waite times can be in the hours to get through. They have the longest waite times of anyone.I have been with them for a year and it has gotten worse the waite times.

Offer is good for smart saver. Be aware you can only transfer once a month otherwise $5.00 fee.

I just closed their line of credit offer.

Bank of Nova Scotia Momentum account has a offer also .

September 3, 2019
    11:31 am
    Slybanking
    Members
    Forum Posts: 108

On August 1st, my wife got a targeted offer at 2.75% till October 31st on her online BMO account when opening their new smart saver account. I went to our branch today to ask for the same offer, talked to the director of the branch. He could not do anything for me. Those offers are targeted by main office and he did not even know about it.

September 9, 2019
    12:48 pm
    Good
    Banned

If offered this year would not take it. Last year did not get the interest rate they promised by opening the account. No good anyways only allowed one debit per month then 5.00 fee.

Closed the account months ago.

With the long wait times for customer service over the phone upwards of several hours at times. Would not open it again. Call Center needs major upgrading.

September 17, 2019
    9:56 am
    BCgeorge
    Members
    Forum Posts: 6

I asked BMO by email if I could link an external account to the
    Smart Saver Account or the checking account you seem need to go
    with the savings account. BMO says that you cannot access or
    link any non-BMO account to the savings or checking account. Can
    you push money from Tangerine/Simplii into the BMO checking
    account? Can you pull money back to your external account from
    the BMO checking account?

September 17, 2019
    11:05 am
    Slybanking
    Members
    Forum Posts: 108

BCgeorge said
    I asked BMO by email if I could link an external account to the
    Smart Saver Account or the checking account you seem need to go
    with the savings account. BMO says that you cannot access or
    link any non-BMO account to the savings or checking account. Can
    you push money from Tangerine/Simplii into the BMO checking
    account? Can you pull money back to your external account from
    the BMO checking account?  

My main Checking account is at BMO. I have, from personal experience been able to push To BMO checking or pull money from BMO checking account from Tangerine, Alterna, Oaken and People.

September 18, 2019
    8:23 pm
    Bud
    Banned

Apparently theres another targeted bmo 2.75 promo for existing accts anyone aware of this made a request?

Be aware if u have an investorline acct ull be caught in their net for the 2.85

Anyone trick the system without a client card

September 19, 2019
    8:48 pm
    Bud
    Banned

Spoke to branch manager who put in request bmo offered 2.75% till Oct 31, 2019 have to sign up online n obtain debit card in branch. Was hopin for longer term will pass close account wait for future deal. Max 5mill might be good for someone caught short at the moment.

September 22, 2019
    1:04 pm
    Good
    Banned

You sound like you are begging the bank? What for.

I closed smart saver account last year.Would not take their offer again.Waite tell you have a problem and see how many hours you have to waite on the phone for help from the Call CENTRE

Bank of Nova Scotia you can get 2.50% for 90 days in the Momentum Savings Account. with the Privilege Chequing account you get another .005% bonus works out to 2.55%

With the Ultimate Chequing Account you get .010% more works out to 2.60%.

Extra .25% from Bank of Montreal for most on here is nothing.

Anyone can open the account at Bank Of Nova Scotia and get the same rate. Plus any new deposits in the 90 day term get the same rate.

You can get another 90 day rate when this one expires.Except the 1.00% bonus expires January 31,2020

Open to everyone Bank Of Nova Scotia offer who opens a new account or adds in new funds currently not with the bank above your August 25,19 closing balance.

October 3, 2019
    6:58 am
    Bud
    Banned

Bmo style of promo is having the opposite effect clients are closing their accounts to be able to take advantage of future promos.

October 14, 2019
    11:18 am
    Good
    Banned

I would not take the offer from Bank Of Montreal if i got again .

Horrible Call Center waite times.

Who cares about 2.85% from Bank Of Montreal.

Like I wrote previously anyone with new deposits can get between 2.50% with Momentum Savings Account from Bank Of Nova Scotia.2.55% with Preferred Chequing Account. Or 2.60% with Ultimate Chequing Account.
    90 day term .Last day to make deposit for above rates is November 30,19

Valid up to 5 million

October 14, 2019
    12:15 pm
    Bud
    Banned

i need deals. i look at all offers dont mind bending if worth it. sometimes deals are hands on, take time, i go the extra mile work with them

Please write your comments in the forum.