Best chequing accounts in Canada 2019 - Your thoughts? | General comparisons | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Best chequing accounts in Canada 2019 - Your thoughts?
August 12, 2019
7:01 pm
GICinvestor
Members
Forum Posts: 670
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Best chequing accounts in Canada 2019???

https://www.moneysense.ca/save/best-chequing-account-canada/

August 12, 2019
7:32 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4199

Simplii Financial, while admirable and potentially better than Tangerine, is a decent choice; however, the process by which clients are required to link their external bank accounts is woefully outdated, requiring a branch domicile stamped account verification form in lieu of a voided cheque. Most other financial institutions simply accept a recent e-Statement as proof of account ownership. As well, there is that 1-day delay on transferring funds from one's HISA to one's no-fee chequing account (for those that don't have electronic verification processes, that is). sf-cool

On the whole, that article is essentially useless, highlighting chequing accounts that require maintaining a minimum monthly balance and even Big 5 bank chequing accounts.

In my view, and I'm slightly biased here, HighInterestSavings.ca provides the best roundup of no-fee chequing accounts that do not require maintaining a minimum balance in one's chequing account and which also aren't limited to the 57-65+ set. 😉

Link: https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/free-canadian-chequing-accounts/

As well, I have to wonder if MoneySense, despite their claims to maintain editorial independence, is either (a) writing sponsored articles on their website or (b) favouring in their articles advertisers to their site, which has been owned by (since late 2018) a group of mortgage brokers and investment professionals. 🙁

For that reason, MoneySense is a "hard avoid" for me, and I tend to read Benefits Canada, Investment Executive, Wealth Professional, Advisor, the Saskatchewan Pension Plan Blog Save with SPP, RedFlagDeals, and this site. On that later note, I particularly appreciate that Peter has kept the HighInterestSavings.ca Cash Back Promotions site editorially separate from the main HighInterestSavings.ca site.

Cheers,
Doug

August 12, 2019
9:55 pm
Canadianbull
Members
Forum Posts: 389

I have account with Simplii, Tangerine and Manulife.
I like Manulife Advantage Chequing/Savings Account the most.

CB

August 12, 2019
11:31 pm
Kidd
Banned
Forum Posts: 840

I have an old, very old TD chequing account. So old that TD no longer offer it as an option (before the td / canada trust merger).

Interest paid 0%
Transaction Fees NONE. With a minimum balance of (was $1,000) currently $2,500. If you dip below the $2,500 minimum, it's like a mortgage payment but otherwise unlimited withdrawals, debit, td atm, cheques, online billing, it's all free, free, free.
Buying Cheques. I used an independent printing firm to print a whack of cheques. i bought in bulk so they were dirt cheap. I'll die and have my coffin lined with unused cheques or i could use them as bum wipe when i'm in the nursing home.

August 13, 2019
1:46 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9198

Jason Heath has been writing for MoneySense for a long time, and may not be influenced by the owners, but I have found that he sometimes doesn't tell the whole story, which is important.

I would not include any chequing account that had a monthly fee or a minimum balance requirement. There is no need for them. That could result in a very short list. So be it.

August 13, 2019
6:21 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2720

If you already invest with CIBC investors edge, their new smart plus checking acct is the best out there, assuming you do have $100k investment with Investors edge. (GIC at CIBC bank counts too but I would recommend if you actually have some, at maturity switch to CUs or other online banks which offers much better interest).

CIBC smarts plus no monthly fee as long as:

1) min 6k balance or $100k combined investment (this is what you need, the min balance is not attractive)
2) includes no fee a VISA dividend infinite card which gives u 4% rebate on gasoline and groceries

The smart plus covers pretty much most fee including ATM fee, ordering checks, ETF etc.

Not a fan of CIBC but I have that account given its offer is very attractive in my mind.

August 13, 2019
8:04 am
GICinvestor
Members
Forum Posts: 670

I feel the article is very misleading, misinforming and absolutely incorrect if you look at the full playing field. Probably is swayed by their allegiance to their advertisers.

They should have referred to an unbiased wealth of information as stated here.

Savings account comparison chart
GIC comparison chart
Services chart: what services different financial institutions offer
Free chequing accounts in Canada
Financial review of Canadian mid-sized banks and credit unions
Credit cards with no foreign currency exchange fees

August 13, 2019
4:07 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3885

Kidd, I believe I have the same TD chequing account, had it since the 1970s, as long as I keep $2K minimum balance fees are waived. Though I did for the first time transfer money to someone's email last week and did get dinged for $1. I opened a Tangerine chequing account last year for the 50 free cheques which should last me about 25 years.

Please write your comments in the forum.