ATB Financial up 1.3% now. (up .10% sept 16, 2010) | General comparisons | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
ATB Financial up 1.3% now. (up .10% sept 16, 2010)
September 18, 2010
3:33 am
mike
Members
Forum Posts: 161
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Admin - Can you consider adding ATB Financial to the Comparison Chart?

http://www.atb.com/Dev/account.....gboard.asp

Springboard Savings® Account

Effective September 16, 2010:

Account Balance Interest Rate

$0 - 4,999 0.95%
$5,000 - 5,000,000 1.30%
$5,000,001 and over 0.00%

--

ATB is 100% backed by the Alberta Treasury.

Have a great day

September 18, 2010
8:58 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1405

Sure. Who has used them and what are your experiences?

September 19, 2010
11:43 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230

I am wholeheartedly opposed to adding regional banks and credit unions to a national high interest savings account comparison chart.

ATB Financial requires Alberta residency to open an account.

Peter, at the request of the board, you already removed Coast Capital Savings and VanCity for the above reason. I strongly urge you to maintain that policy and not add ATB Financial.

Cheers,
Doug

September 20, 2010
4:02 am
mike
Members

Peter said:

Sure. Who has used them and what are your experiences?

We have used them for the past 2 years and they have been excellent thus far. The reason we went with ATB was a good rate % for savings but mainly 100% safety of our deposit. We didn't want to open up different bank accounts to be under the CDIC limit at each bank.

ATB stands for the "Alberta Treasury Branch" of Canada. Yes, it's not a "bank" but way better than that for security, it is the gov't Alberta Treasury you are banking with.

If you invest at ATB you are covered into CPIF, which is $1m (like CDIC) coverage for your investments.

Have a great day

September 20, 2010
4:05 am
mike
Members

Doug said:

I am wholeheartedly opposed to adding regional banks and credit unions to a national high interest savings account comparison chart.

ATB Financial requires Alberta residency to open an account.

Peter, at the request of the board, you already removed Coast Capital Savings and VanCity for the above reason. I strongly urge you to maintain that policy and not add ATB Financial.

Cheers,
Doug

Well, if that is why you are opposed to this bank, then I can clam your fears. ATB is not a local bank, infact it's not a bank at all (see my above post). You do not have to be a resident of Alberta to open up an account with them, in fact, you don't have to be a resident of Canada! I'm a Non-Resident of Canada currently and have an open account with them both for savings and for investing (yes, they know I live outside Canada and provide me with NR5 forms*). I can buy mutual funds, GIC's, bonds, stocks, and do my day-to-day Canadian banking. HSBC offers this service as well (but you are limited with investing).

Thus, I would encourage the addition of ATB Financial to the list.

* http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/nr5/

Have a great day

September 20, 2010
9:25 am
mike
Members

@Doug - I just found out where the confusion may be coming from. I believe you need to be a resident of Alberta to apply for their Mastercard, but not their savings accounts or investment options.

Have a great day

September 21, 2010
5:38 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Okay, but can you open an ATB virtually through the Internet or do you need to visit a branch? That's what I'm getting at, mike.

VanCity and Coast Capital you can open accounts entirely online but must have a B.C. address (therefore, B.C. residency) which is why I submitted for their deletion from the chart.

ATB you may not need an Alberta residency or even Canadian residency (therefore, Alberta or Canadian mailing addresses) but if you have to visit a branch then I think we should not include them as that would mean people have to go to Alberta to open an account.

And actually, I'm well aware of the old Alberta Treasury Branches. My dad worked for them briefly as an "assistant accountant" (similar to a Customer Service Supervisor nowadays) briefly. His mom (my grandma) worked there in a variety of roles but namely teller positions. His dad (my grandpa and my aforementioned grandma's first husband) worked there as a teller, assistant accountant, accountant (similar to a Manager Customer Service now), branch manager, credit approving officer, district vice president and internal auditor. In fact, if memory serves me correctly, he was the branch accountant at the very first Alberta Treasury Branch in Rocky Mountain House. So, I love the institution and if I lived in Alberta, I'd probably bank with them. I just think fair is fair and they need to be accessible to all Canadians regardless of geography.

Hope that clarifies,
Doug

September 22, 2010
3:12 am
mike
Members

Hi Doug,

Oh ya, that's totally fair and I completely see where you are coming from. Let me give them a call as it says to call or visit to open an account. If I ask if you can open one on the phone would the work? (there is no online open an account option)

Ready to Open
Your Account Today?
Call us at 1-888-330-9282
or visit your local branch.

I think it's neat you and your family have quite a bit of a connection to ATB and the banking industry. Must run in your blood!

Have a great day

September 22, 2010
7:44 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

hey mike,

Yeah, phone-based account openings would work so long as you don't ever need to visit a branch to sign documents/signature cards.

As for banking in my family tree, that's just my dad's side. My mom works part-time for Scotiabank as a Customer Support Representative (midoffice, paper pusher, answers phones but not front-line staff). My mom's mom (my other grandma) retired from CIBC in Prince Albert, SK as a sort of Investment Advisor/Financial Planner. Both of my dad's brothers wives (technically not blood relatives) used to work in the bank.

My sister, on the other hand, will never go into banking. She's happily working in the wine industry. 😛

Cheers,
Doug

September 30, 2010
5:33 pm
stylintheo
Guests

O douglas

September 30, 2010
9:57 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

stylintheo said:

O douglas

Huh?

October 21, 2010
9:40 am
mike
Members

ATB Financial up 1.35% now. (up .05% Oct 20, 2010)

Springboard Savings® Account

Effective October 20, 2010:

Account Balance Interest Rate

$0 -- 4,999 1.00%
$5,000 -- 5,000,000 1.35%

ATB just increased their rates by another .05%

Have a great day

October 21, 2010
7:07 pm
Guests

That's a pretty small fraction. That's only an extra 50 cents per year for every $1000.

Please write your comments in the forum.