Winter Promo: 3% on Savings Accounts Feb 3 to May 30, 2020 (extended to June 30, 2020) on new money | Page 3 | DUCA Credit Union | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Winter Promo: 3% on Savings Accounts Feb 3 to May 30, 2020 (extended to June 30, 2020) on new money
April 9, 2020
2:22 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9243
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Thanks very much for the info.
We were planning on depositing a cheque, so I guess we'll have to go to a branch.sf-frown
It ought to hold til the end of the month but who knows? We have to wait for the recently-ordered cheques to arrive in the mail - expected later next week.
Failing that, maybe another deal will come along...

April 9, 2020
2:32 pm
Nehpets
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 981
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

We were planning on depositing a cheque, so I guess we'll have to go to a branch

DUCA mobile app provides for mobile deposits eliminating the need for going to a branch. Also, some DUCA branches have modified hours or are closed during the current crisis.

Stephen

April 9, 2020
2:40 pm
Loonie
Members

I need to deposit significantly more than 10K though. You suggested earlier that there would be a 10K limit on mobile deposits. Did I undersand correctly?

April 9, 2020
3:37 pm
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

Loonie said
I need to deposit significantly more than 10K though. You suggested earlier that there would be a 10K limit on mobile deposits. Did I understand correctly?  

Oh, I see, Loonie! The DUCA policy is mobile cheque deposit has a daily deposit limit of $10,000; weekly max $40,000.

If it's a third party check paid to you in excess of $10,000, then it would not be eligible. However, it may be worth a call to the Call Center to inquire, due to the current extraordinary circumstances. I would even ask to appeal to a management person for an exception, if possible, in light of quarantine conditions, protecting seniors and banking staff!

If the check is one that you are writing, then the option would be to divide it into $10,000 increments.

Last option might be to work around by depositing in another FI whose limits are within the amount of your check to hold the funds and perhaps EFT the funds to DUCA.

Last and least attractive recourse would be snail mail, or maybe have a very trusted person hand deliver the check, clearly marked "for deposit only to the credit of account # xxxxx".

How (in) convenient is it for you to actually visit a branch? Can you arrange for the manager to meet you at your car in the parking lot, so you avoid going inside?

Stephen

April 9, 2020
6:18 pm
Loonie
Members

It would be my own cheque(s), but, for various reasons, the only practical alternative is going to be to go to branch unless they can agree to some kind of exception.
We can drive there easily although parking is a pain.
I'll give them a call next week.
Thanks for the input.

April 28, 2020
8:58 am
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416

I wonder if anyone has the answer to the following:

I have a deposit in the Duca 3% Winter Promo and today was going to add a matured GIC from Oaken, only to be told that deposits to the 3% account were closed on March 31st, although 3% would be paid until June 30, and that the 2.5% offer is now the new offer. Did I miss something?

April 28, 2020
10:54 am
Nav66
Members
Forum Posts: 36

JenE - You didn't miss anything. The 3% winter promo accounts were closed to deposits on 31 March. However, DUCA decided not to inform anyone until they tried to make a deposit (which can only be done by phone call)...then you get the news. Also, they are also keeping the 2.75% 1 yr GIC offer a secret. I have asked them twice in the last 2 weeks to at least notify winter bonus account holders of the offer. The response was "I'll forward your request to marketing" but nothing has changed yet. I only found out about the offer when I read GR's posting on Apr 8. Also, the offer can be withdrawn at anytime before 30 June and we won't find out unless we try to accept it.

April 28, 2020
12:08 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2874

Nav66 said
JenE - You didn't miss anything. The 3% winter promo accounts were closed to deposits on 31 March. However, DUCA decided not to inform anyone until they tried to make a deposit (which can only be done by phone call)...then you get the news. Also, they are also keeping the 2.75% 1 yr GIC offer a secret. I have asked them twice in the last 2 weeks to at least notify winter bonus account holders of the offer. The response was "I'll forward your request to marketing" but nothing has changed yet. I only found out about the offer when I read GR's posting on Apr 8. Also, the offer can be withdrawn at anytime before 30 June and we won't find out unless we try to accept it.  

u mean they still offer 2.75% 1y GIC as of Apr28th ?

April 28, 2020
12:27 pm
Nav66
Members

I last discussed this issue with DUCA one week ago (21 April). The offer was still on but I was told that it could be withdrawn at any time.

April 28, 2020
2:17 pm
Oscar
Members
Forum Posts: 283

I was contacted yesterday and informed of the 1 year @ 2.75% offer which I was told was the final day , so it's ended or very soon to be for certain.

April 28, 2020
3:17 pm
Nav66
Members

Oscar - Please confirm - Yesterday (27th), you received an 'out of the blue' phone call from DUCA. The only reason for the call was to tell you about the 1 yr 2.75% GIC offer and to also tell you that it was ending yesterday? Kind of forces you into a snap decision eh? Is there more to the story?

April 28, 2020
3:23 pm
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416

Thanks Nav66. I find it disappointing that Duca wasn’t transparent.
As for the 2.75% 1 year GIC offer, I was able to open one with them just now, thanks to your information. I was told that today is the last day.

April 29, 2020
8:00 am
Oscar
Members

Nav66 said
Oscar - Please confirm - Yesterday (27th), you received an 'out of the blue' phone call from DUCA. The only reason for the call was to tell you about the 1 yr 2.75% GIC offer and to also tell you that it was ending yesterday? Kind of forces you into a snap decision eh? Is there more to the story?  

That is correct. I suspected the offer was available until the end of the month and viewed the end date of the 27th to be a sales tactic. As JenE has shown , the offer was still available yesterday.

JenE said
Thanks Nav66. I find it disappointing that Duca wasn’t transparent.
As for the 2.75% 1 year GIC offer, I was able to open one with them just now, thanks to your information. I was told that today is the last day.  

It seems they were trying to keep this offer exclusively for their members so I like they are being loyal to their customers in this case. Worked well for you and I.

April 29, 2020
8:07 am
Nehpets
Ontario
Members

New Retention Promo being offered to DUCA members who have a 3% Winter promo savings account:

Money in the 3% Winter promo account can be moved to the current 2.5% promo account which will pay 2.5% until March 21, 2021. This opportunity to transfer to 2.5% expires May 15, 2020 according to DUCA CSR Amy.

Pro: earn 2.5% until March 2020 and funds are liquid during the term
Con: lose 0.5% for six weeks

The current 3% Winter promo ends on June 30, at which time there is no guarantee of another retention offer.

Clearly a time to weigh options and opportunities...sf-confused

Stephen

April 29, 2020
8:17 am
Oscar
Members

Especially considering that savings account is now at 0.75%

April 29, 2020
10:19 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 787

Nehpets said
New Retention Promo being offered to DUCA members who have a 3% Winter promo savings account:

Money in the 3% Winter promo account can be moved to the current 2.5% promo account which will pay 2.5% until March 21, 2021. This opportunity to transfer to 2.5% expires May 15, 2020 according to DUCA CSR Amy.

The current 3% Winter promo ends on June 30, at which time there is no guarantee of another retention offer.

Stephen  

I called in to get confirmation and more details. So this new promo was just introduced this week and is being offered until May 15, 2020 but I was advised it CAN change at any time. The 2.5% was being offered only on new money but now allows any money from the 3.0% winter promo account also.

It replaces the previous promo of the 2.75% GIC for 1 year, which was originally being offered until June 30 but has now been pulled and replaced with the above.

May 1, 2020
5:13 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 787

Nehpets said

Stephen  

Just learned that apparently this offer has now been closed as of tonight, as quickly as it was made (see here:
https://www.highinterestsavings.ca/forum/duca-credit-union/duca-2-5-hisa-promo-2020-04-02/

Even though it was supposed to be available until May 15, I was able to take advantage of this just yesterday (hesitantly at first). Thanks SO much for the heads up.

May 12, 2020
7:28 am
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 632

Peter,

Unfortunately, the retention promo for 1 yr GIC @ 2.75% was withdrawn early, as noted in comments 50, 52 & 56 above.

May 12, 2020
7:31 am
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1404

GR said
Peter,

Unfortunately, the retention promo for 1 yr GIC @ 2.75% was withdrawn early, as noted in comments 50, 52 & 56 above.  

Thanks for the nudge. I've moved it to the Expired list on the Promos page.

May 12, 2020
11:41 pm
Loonie
Members

There is still six weeks left for DUCA to come up with a retention offer for those who didn't hear about the 2.75 offer and /or who still have funds in the 3% promo account. It will depend on how badly they want tio keep that money.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.