DUCA Deposit Rate Decrease to 5.5% on January 17, 2024 | Page 2 | DUCA Credit Union | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
DUCA Deposit Rate Decrease to 5.5% on January 17, 2024
February 17, 2024
5:09 am
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 796
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Premature to tell exactly... that is weeks away and anything can happen in the bond market. But as it stands, all indications are that they will hold, because that market is flat ATM (after a slight dip over the past couple of months).

But days or a bit more ahead, you can easily tell if they are likely to adjust the rate, and even by how much. And you can also see the trend well ahead of time, such as the rise of rates from below 1% to about 5-5.5% over the past 2 yrs.

I have been doing it for over 2 years now with no surprise...ever since this was pointed out in a financial service I follow. I could see the peak a few months ago and chose to lock into some longer term GICs as a result, catching that peak.

Typically, if the bond rate is consistently more than 25pts away from the BoC rate, they change it, plain and simple. Check it out for yourself. It holds true for CA and US 100% over decades. I now keep a live chart handy, with both US and CA 3- and 6-month bonds vs the central bank rates, and can see where the market is going.

Don't be fooled by the talking heads about what drives rate changes... just follow this market. They are not that intelligent.

P.S. Also note that the CA and US markets are truly different... though they appear in sync, they are not, only highly correlated but one does NOT drive the other.

February 17, 2024
5:19 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1122

smayer97 said
Premature to tell... that is weeks away and anything can happen in the bond market. But days or a bit more ahead, you can easily tell if they are likely to adjust the rate, and even by how much. I have been doing it for over 2 years now with no surprise...ever since this was pointed out in a financial service I follow.

Typically, if the bond rate is consistently more than 25pts away from the BoC rate, they change it, plain and simple. Check it out for yourself. It holds true for CA and US 100% over decades. I know keep a live chart handy, with both US and CA 2- and 6-month bonds vs the central bank rates, and can see where the market is going.  

You should start separate forum topic for your BoC rate change forecasts. This could be useful information for many people. Consider it public service. Thanks.

February 17, 2024
5:20 am
smayer97
Members

Alexandre said

You should start separate forum topic for your BoC rate change forecasts. This could be useful information for many people. Consider it public service. Thanks.  

Agreed... I have posted this info multiple times in different threads... not sure where to post this.

February 17, 2024
5:26 am
smayer97
Members

P.P.S... just to be clear... another way to put this is that the Feds ALWAYS FOLLOW the bond market... they NEVER lead it! (they might slightly overshoot, on the odd occasion, BUT they NEVER lead it).

February 17, 2024
7:28 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2893

CB always lead the market by telling u what they r going to do 3-6 months in advance. Try running that correlation instead….

Also watch interest rate futures contract if one knows what those are.
The implied probability of interest rate changes every time the CB opens their mouth. It is crystal clear who’s leading who too.

February 17, 2024
11:46 am
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 197

smayer97 said
SO SO WRONG!!! The BoC rates are NOT based on inflation rates AT ALL!! They are 100% following the short term bond market rate. not 97, 98, or even 99% of the time. 100% of the time! Check it out yourself.... just pull up a chart and you will see that ALL rate changes stay within a 25pt range of the bond market, and it always lags! You can easily predict rate changes by following the short term bond market.

All central banks try to give the impression that they are in control... such smoke and mirrors!  

Oh, so now you are a believer!...that the BoC is always a "follower" of the Financial markets (bonds, gic's, etc). Didn't seem so in your January 2024 posts in the "End of an Era" topic. Good for you.

February 17, 2024
9:04 pm
smayer97
Members

Lodown said

Oh, so now you are a believer!...that the BoC is always a "follower" of the Financial markets (bonds, gic's, etc). Didn't seem so in your January 2024 posts in the "End of an Era" topic. Good for you.  

Not sure what you are talking about. I just checked that thread and I have no posts in that thread.

February 17, 2024
9:07 pm
smayer97
Members

savemoresaveoften said
CB always lead the market by telling u what they r going to do 3-6 months in advance. Try running that correlation instead….

Also watch interest rate futures contract if one knows what those are.
The implied probability of interest rate changes every time the CB opens their mouth. It is crystal clear who’s leading who too.  

Talking heads may try to influence the market with their forward-looking projections and these sometimes have short term impacts BUT they never have a trending impact. So looking at the implied prob. is not a good indicator of the direction of the bond market. This can easily be seen, that there is no meaningful correlation.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.