Chequing account now has a $4 monthly fee or $1000 minimum balance | DUCA Credit Union | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Chequing account now has a $4 monthly fee or $1000 minimum balance
June 23, 2023
3:32 pm
mebe
Members
Forum Posts: 25
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Heads-Up to those of you with a Duca Daylight chequing account.

Duca snuck in a recent $1000 minimum balance to avoid having to pay a monthly $4 account maintenance fee.

Duca acknowledges that they could have made it more obvious to its customers, so they will remove the first charge, and the following one for the current month of June (if you get another charge).

If you see a $4 charge at the end of the month, and then a waiver credit removing it, that's not going to work because the system will often bill you that $4 within about 7 days later, often as a late fee.

I recommend that you go to a Duca branch to more efficiently get this resolved (as they give you their undivided attention, receipts, and might easily spot closed accounts that you haven't used in more than 15 months. A $20 account dormancy fee for inactivity of 2 years, can also usually be waived. Calling the branch or Member connect can be less efficient if you don't understand them.

If you treat Duca as if it's Rogers (putting important account info at the bottom of the bill in message section, or fine print, you should be able to avoid this nonsense in the future.

So if you don't want to keep at least $1000 (or at least &1004 in case of a Duca billing error) in your checking account, or pay $4 for the account, just call to cancel it.

DUCA .. Daylight Under Cloudy Alert

June 23, 2023
7:25 pm
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2876

Thanks for the heads up mebe. Will give tham a call tomorrow to cancel that account. Under their fee structure, looks like it was introduced back in Apr, my account has not been the charge for May, but I suspect it will show up in June...

June 23, 2023
10:13 pm
mebe
Members

Oh, if you're 60-years of age or older, you shouldn't be charged.

It pays to be closer to death.

June 24, 2023
5:00 am
lisa
Members
Forum Posts: 34

We've had 5 year GIC's with them for 4 years. I spoke to the branch manager about the $4 charge and she said the only way to resolve it is to keep $1000 in the checking account. The higher ups made this decision. And she would not refund the $4. Not impressed!

June 24, 2023
6:05 am
Tommy Tutalidge
Banned
Forum Posts: 19

lisa said
We've had 5 year GIC's with them for 4 years. I spoke to the branch manager about the $4 charge and she said the only way to resolve it is to keep $1000 in the checking account. The higher ups made this decision. And she would not refund the $4. Not impressed!  

At least they don't "invent" or create savings accounts out of the blue like Oaken Financial. Yes Oaken will hit you with a dormancy fee on a savings account they created (unauthorized) not an account you created.

June 24, 2023
10:21 am
mebe
Members

lisa said

When you say you spoke to the Branch manager, did you do it by phone, or in person?

It would not surprise me as much if you spoke to the branch manager on the phone and were then turned down. But if you were physically at the branch, it's more likely that you get better treatment. There's also no guarantee of that better treatment leading to positive results. The red flag for me was when your branch manager blamed it on the higher ups. That manager sounds like somebody who doesn't want to go out of their way to risk any possible reprimand for removing the charges for too many customers.

Had you called the branch and spoken to a "regular" employee while the manager was not available, you most likely would have been told that as a one-time courtesy you can get that charge removed (especially if your record shows that you haven't asked for a break in the past, or at least recently). If that regular employee is less sure of the situation, they may later consult the manager before putting it through the system. However, once you were informed of the one-time courtesy possibility, and yet a manager or other more experienced employee intervened and didn't allow it, that should make it more likely that Duca's Ombudsman would rule in your favour.

Had you contacted Customer Connect, depending on the agent you speak to, you may be told to contact your branch to try to see if you can get that $4 charge removed.

If the Customer Connect agent adds comments to the system, the branch employees can see them, yet if you called the branch, the employees might not add any comments or make note of your call.

If you physically are able to go to a branch and are lucky enough to speak to an employee who has already dealt with many other customers with the same problem, AND has given them ALL the $4 refund, it makes things much easier. And if for some reason they have a problem getting the refund to work, they can simply ask for help from a more experienced employee.

It's true that even the employees willing and able to fix this problem, will still say that it's the higher-ups that are responsible for this mess.

We are all aware that employees would love to do the "right" thing and help everybody equally, but human nature dictates that the more you go up against the ones running the show, the more likely it will be that you risk losing your job, or be punished for being too nice.

If you experience bad service from one branch, you might get better results walking into a different one, even if they notice that you joined Duca at another branch.

Since Duca employees know that this "sneaky" move should be overturned, it's much easier and safer to simply pass the buck.

Losing $4 is not so terrible, but the service you received most likely was.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Although at some point, this Heads-Up might turn into a major headache, or migraine. And then you might need to spend more money on Tylenol.

Hope is a good thing, but false hope is not.

If I offer to hold the door open for you, but then you start to run towards me (because you don't want to keep me waiting), and then slip on a rug and break your hip (ouch!) ... well then, I just broke your hip, even though I meant well.

I'm hoping that your bad experience doesn't become a typical one for the majority of Duca customers.

June 24, 2023
10:40 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

A branch manager has full authority to reverse a $4 charge, esp on a new fee like this when it’s not even communicated.

For a manager to turn it down and blame on higher up is bizarre.

June 24, 2023
1:20 pm
Iminterested
Members
Forum Posts: 17

Thanks for the heads up savemoresaveoften. I too, was unaware of the new fee. I called the call centre today and had my $4 service fee reversed and the chequing account closed. Although it involved a follow-up call asking many more questions "to update my file", she claimed.

June 24, 2023
10:14 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9246

What a fuss over a measly $4!

It shouldn't require any managers at all to reverse the charge, and should be done on request without further ado since they failed to give adequate notice. And it definitely shouldn't require getting to a branch, parking fees, etc., which would cost you even more.

In the past I occasionally had issues at TD over ATM cheque deposits, where they shortchanged me by $5 - $10 because they missed a very small cheque. I just phoned in and they fixed it immediately without any detailed questions. I had the deposit slip but they weren't interested in it. That's the way it should be. I hope that isn't relegated to "the good old days".

Evidently TD had figured out something that still eludes DUCA: It's not worth their time or yours for them to give you a hard time over such a trivial amount.

June 25, 2023
12:37 am
mebe
Members

I assume that it should get easier as more people become aware of the account change, but Duca loves that $4, and the higher-ups obviously like slipping important account changes into the e-statements, that often go unread.

Rogers often slips in the important stuff 3 months in advance (on the bill), so even though it's sneaky, at least it's a known tactic.

However, with Duca, it's obviously a game that they are now also interested in playing.

Luckily, some customers live close enough to a branch, if the calling fails to do the trick.

Hopefully, Duca will stop playing hardball with some of its customers, and make sure all of its employees are told not to hit any of them with the pitch.

Batter up! Ball $4 ... Take your base and your money.

June 25, 2023
9:41 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4240

Loonie said
What a fuss over a measly $4!

It shouldn't require any managers at all to reverse the charge, and should be done on request without further ado since they failed to give adequate notice. And it definitely shouldn't require getting to a branch, parking fees, etc., which would cost you even more.

In the past I occasionally had issues at TD over ATM cheque deposits, where they shortchanged me by $5 - $10 because they missed a very small cheque. I just phoned in and they fixed it immediately without any detailed questions. I had the deposit slip but they weren't interested in it. That's the way it should be. I hope that isn't relegated to "the good old days".

Evidently TD had figured out something that still eludes DUCA: It's not worth their time or yours for them to give you a hard time over such a trivial amount.  

In many cases it doesn't need a branch manager to reverse a $4.00 fee. I'm not sure why @savemoresaveoften suggested referring to the branch manager at the first point of contact; perhaps they've had inconsistent experiences. In other words, a CSR could probably still reverse a fee at DUCA, but I could be wrong. sf-cool

Usually CSRs will have limits on the fees they're allowed to reversed.

In many cases, the contact centre can reverse a fee, too.

Cheers,
Doug

June 25, 2023
9:55 am
savemoresaveoften
Members

Doug said

In many cases it doesn't need a branch manager to reverse a $4.00 fee. I'm not sure why @savemoresaveoften suggested referring to the branch manager at the first point of contact; perhaps they've had inconsistent experiences. In other words, a CSR could probably still reverse a fee at DUCA, but I could be wrong. sf-cool

Usually CSRs will have limits on the fees they're allowed to reversed.

In many cases, the contact centre can reverse a fee, too.

Cheers,
Doug  

I was replying to Lisa’s post#4 when she mentioned even branch manager would not waive the fee for her.

And for the record, it was Mebe who alert us of the $4 charge. I will call in tomorrow to cancel that account as it was not used even once from day 1.

June 25, 2023
12:18 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4240

savemoresaveoften said

I was replying to Lisa’s post#4 when she mentioned even branch manager would not waive the fee for her.

And for the record, it was Mebe who alert us of the $4 charge. I will call in tomorrow to cancel that account as it was not used even once from day 1.  

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I agree. DUCA's not got a compelling reason for membership now. HISA and GICs are nothing others don't over, and they have no free chequing account or a compelling credit card to which to attract new members.

June 25, 2023
5:05 pm
mebe
Members

If you're at least 60-years old, Duca won't charge the $4 for the account (if they did, that should be really easy to fix).

I also think Duca mentioned that they have a special no-fee, free chequing account without a limited monthly balance requirement (but with only 3 free e-transfers, rather than 5), but it's only an option for younger people in their 20's, and perhaps a bit younger, or older.

Duca ... Don't get stuck in the middle with us ... or we'll gladly gouge you!

June 25, 2023
10:51 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9246

DUCA has a plethora of accounts, and some of them spring up without you even knowing. It's confusing, and annoying.
I made them cancel a few of them a while ago.

July 12, 2023
7:00 am
lisa
Members

Just logged onto my duca checking account and saw an OD charge of 3 cents for the $4 monthly fee that they reversed. Called and had it reversed and closed my account. Not thrilled with Duca!

July 12, 2023
7:02 am
lisa
Members

As per my earlier posts......I called member direct after the branch manager would not credit the $4, member direct did it no problem.

July 12, 2023
6:30 pm
mebe
Members

I had a 4 cent overdraft charge and another expected $4 account charge for June, so I just walked over to the branch and told the teller that I just needed the charges to be removed one last time, as was promised by them last month when I visited the branch.

Two extra people were needed to approve it all, but I never had to speak to them.

It was too easy, so I assume that the thousand bucks in the account had something to do with it. No mistake was made by Duca, but it was nice to just stand back and watch them type away on my behalf.

I don't generally pay for accounts for more than one month, but I'm curious to see how long it will take me to dump this no-interest chequing account.

DUCA ... Dump Ure Chequing Account

July 13, 2023
5:19 pm
COIN
Members
Forum Posts: 1109

lisa said
As per my earlier posts......I called member direct after the branch manager would not credit the $4, member direct did it no problem.  

Wonder if these charges affect the branch manager's bonus for the year?

Please write your comments in the forum.