PC MasterCard: 5X offer on first $500 essential purchases, July 15 to August 15, 2020 | Credit card reward programs | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
PC MasterCard: 5X offer on first $500 essential purchases, July 15 to August 15, 2020
July 24, 2020
6:39 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6675
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

From July 15 to August 15, 2020, PC MasterCard is offering 5X points (50 points per $1 spent) on first $500 of essential purchases:

* Offer excludes Quebec residents. Upon opening this email, earn 5x the regular 10 PC Optimum™ points per dollar of your first $500 in purchases in select categories from from July 15-August 15, 2020. Offer does not apply to prior purchases. The 5x the points earning is the sum of: (i) the regular PC Optimum™ earning on your PC Financial Mastercard® (which varies by card type); and (ii) the “PC Financial Essential Purchases Bonus” earning, which is the difference between your regular earning rate and 5x the points on each dollar spent on eligible categories with your PC Financial Mastercard®. Your regular PC Optimum™ earning rate will be awarded to your account throughout the offer period as you make purchases on your PC Financial Mastercard® and the “PC Financial Essential Purchases Bonus” will be awarded within 4-6 weeks after the offer end date.

Select essential purchases include the following categories:

• Loblaw banner grocery stores
• Shoppers Drug Mart
• Esso™ and Mobil™ stations stations in Canada
• Restaurant Pick-up and Delivery Services (MCC 5499, 5812, 5813, 5814)
• Audio, Video and Cable Streaming Services (MCC 5968, 4899, 5815)

Eligibility of purchases in the dining and streaming categories is based on the Merchant Category Codes (MCC) shown above. Merchants control their own MCC and President’s Choice Bank has no control over how a merchant is classified. This offer is limited to one per PC Financial Mastercard® account and the offer may be terminated or changed at any time without notice.

Effectively 5% back in points on qualifying purchases. sf-smile

Looks like regular restaurant purchases are included:

5499 Miscellaneous Food Stores–Convenience Stores, Markets, Specialty Stores, and Vending Machines
5812 Eating Places and Restaurants
5813 Bars, Cocktail Lounges, Discotheques, Nightclubs and Taverns–Drinking Places (Alcoholic Beverages)
5814 Fast Food Restaurants
July 24, 2020
7:23 am
toto
Members
Forum Posts: 305

I just got 100,000 optimum points for opening a pc mastercard. 100 dollar value.

July 24, 2020
11:06 am
2of3aintbad
Members
Forum Posts: 317

Targeted offer through an email?

July 24, 2020
11:40 am
toto
Members
Forum Posts: 305

It got sent to me through my optimum app, I just assumed that anyone could get it though.

July 24, 2020
3:04 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9212

The 100K offer was posted on RFD on June 22 and was said to expire 09 August, but the posted link says it has expired already.

July 24, 2020
9:26 pm
Norman1
Members

The 100,000 bonus points PC MasterCard offer needs a special link to access.

There is one at SmartCanucks.ca Get 100,000 PC Optimum Points When You Make Your First Purchase With A New Card.

It is the "Click here to apply" link part way down that page that leads to a PC Financial page with the following:

Let's get you to free, fast.

Apply by August 30, 2020 and we'll put 100,000 bonus points* in your PC OptimumTM account when you make a first purchase with your new card at participating stores.

July 24, 2020
10:01 pm
Loonie
Members

I can't get anywhere with trying to click from the smartcanucks page. It just plays dumb and won't connect to an application page. Do you have to be somehow logged into smartcanucks or something like that?

July 24, 2020
10:37 pm
Norman1
Members

I didn't log into the site or anything like that.

See if this works better. I extracted the link out of the page:

https://www.pcfinancial.ca/en/campaign/affiliate03

July 24, 2020
11:56 pm
Loonie
Members

Yes, this works. I don't know why it didn't work before sa I did get that screen.
Thanks.
Not sure about applying though as this application is identical to the ordinary one and I don't feel reassured about the 100,000 points bonus. I wouldn't normally bother with this at all but we have been getting our groceries on a pick-up basis from Real Cdn SuperStore during the pandemic and it works well, so might be worthwhile.. We don't normally shop there very often.

July 25, 2020
10:05 am
Norman1
Members

The web pages look the same. But, the application is tagged with a different promo code.

One can see the promo code in the URL, shown in the address bar of the web browser, of the second "Personal Information" application page.

For a regular application, the URL ends with

…/personal-info?sourceCode=INT&promoCode=90891

For a 100,000 bonus points offer application, the URL ends with

…/personal-info?sourceCode=INT&promoCode=90943

The PC Financial MasterCards are not cashback cards. The cards intended for those who shop at stores in the Loblaw Companies group (like Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstore, and Shoppers Drug Mart) where one can redeem the PC Optimum points.

One also needs to check the fine print on the extended warranty coverage on the cards. I think those cards are the ones where the coverage excludes computers!

July 25, 2020
11:20 am
Norman1
Members

Yes, they are the ones with extended warranty that excludes computers.

This is from the certificate of insurance (from Card benefits details):

Limitations and Exclusions: The Extended Warranty [underwritten by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida] ends automatically upon the date when the original manufacturer ceases to carry on business for any reason whatsoever.

The Extended Warranty does not cover:

(a) used, rebuilt or remanufactured items;

(b) computer hardware, accessories or peripherals, computer repair or software;

(c) automobiles, motorboats, airplanes, motorcycles, motorscooters, snowblowers, riding lawn mowers, golf carts, lawn tractors or any other motorized vehicles (except for miniature electrically powered vehicles intended for recreational use by children) or any of their respective parts or accessories;

(d) damage resulting from normal wear or tear; or

(e) items purchased and/or used by or for a business or for commercial gain.

The Extended Warranty will only apply to any parts and/or labour costs resulting from mechanical breakdown or failure of a covered item, or any other obligations that were specifically covered under the terms of the original manufacturer’s warranty that is valid in Canada. Bodily injury, property damages, consequential damages, punitive damages, exemplary damages and lawyers’ fees are not covered. Coverage is limited to the lesser of the amount charged to Your President’s Choice Financial Mastercard or $10,000.

July 25, 2020
2:29 pm
Loonie
Members

Thanks for the details. I did check the URLs but obviously not thoroughly enough. The ones displayed on my computer were identical and did not include those numbers at the end.

I wouldn't use this card for extended warranty anyway as I have another card that gives better cashback on "other" and has a reliable extended warranty which I used to good effect last year, as you may recall, on a computer. In the end, when it broke down for the third time, I had to buy a new computer anyway, but it did extend the life a while and they paid the repair bills totalling about $1000. No wonder PC doesn't want to pay for these repairs!

July 25, 2020
3:54 pm
Norman1
Members

The promo code should be visible in the URL of the second page of the application, titled "Personal Information", where one enters name, date of birth, address, and so on.

It is visible briefly in the URL of the first application page. But, that page quickly flips to a page showing interest rates and fees for the cards.

July 25, 2020
9:51 pm
Loonie
Members

I seem, sort of. It seems it's legit anyway.

i just learned that RCSS won't accept PC Points for pick-up orders. I'm beginning to wonder what I'd do with all those points. We are avoiding going into grocery stores. And I almost never go to Shoppers Drug.sf-confused I don't know why they wouldn't accept their own "currency".

July 26, 2020
9:35 am
Norman1
Members

It is surprising that one cannot redeem PC Optimum points towards a pick-up order at Real Canadian Superstores! sf-surprised

That will be a serious issue if one cannot go in-store and use the points. There isn't an option to redeem the points towards purchases charged to the PC MasterCard as there is on the Rogers/Fido MasterCards.

July 26, 2020
9:56 pm
Loonie
Members

To clarify, you may be able to use the points in-store at RCSS - i.e. you go into store, do your own shopping, go through checkout. But you can't use them if you order online, the store employee does the shopping, and you pick up the order at scheduled time. Souse, who does the ordering and the pick up, tells me the latter is expressly forbidden on their website.

I'm not sure what happens with their other affiliates. Loblaw also has a pick-up system.

I received an email from PC Optimum today, wanting me to sign up for the credit card and offering 100K points with Aug 06 deadline.

July 26, 2020
10:56 pm
Norman1
Members

I think one could use PC Optimum points to pay if one doesn't choose fully contactless pickup.

The PC Express terms and conditions suggests an option to pay at pickup time from a Loblaw-banner store:

ORDER PAYMENT

You will only be charged for the actual items included in your order (including costs based on actual weight of any variable weight items priced by weight), less any redemption of coupons or PC Optimum points, or other promotional deductions. …

If you have selected a participating store from a Loblaw banner as your pick-up location, you will be asked to complete payment of your order when you arrive to pick-up your groceries. If you have selected any other location as your pick-up location, including but not limited to a Shoppers Drug Mart location, participating Ontario GO station or PC Express Neighborhood Pickup location, we will charge the credit card provided by you at the time you placed your order once your order has been assembled in-store.

Chatelaine article How To Redeem Your PC Optimum Points Without Going Into A Store suggests the same:

…. Select a pickup location close to you and a time slot, log in with your PC Id and shop from the grocery items listed. Unlike the other websites, you’ll have to pay in full at first. Once your order is ready and you arrive for pickup, let the PC Express colleague know that you want to redeem your PC points. They’ll update your transaction.

July 27, 2020
1:54 am
Loonie
Members

Thanks, Norman. I will pass this info on and see if we can do better next time. At best, it is a confusing system as you MUST pay by credit card when you order, and spouse has not been asked if we'd like to redeem points at pick up, so there was no reason to think we could, nor has any other shopping experience of ours ever been structured this way.

The whole point of the pick-up service is to eliminate dawdling at the store for any reason, so it seems counter-productive. I would guess that most customers using the pick up service are not aware that they could convert their payment to points at POS.

As a pick up service, it has worked efficiently and we have been happy with it - except for the day when they forgot one of our bags and we had to go back, but they compensated us for this inconvenience. On low traffic days, it's free.

In addition, I'm pretty sure they don't award PC points for pick up orders, but would have to check on that to be sure.

Let's hope all of this will run more smoothly with time as it was a rapid launch. In this day and age, it should be a simple matter to use your Optimum number, as easy as your credit card number. Maybe it would be easier in future if using a PC credit card as the Optimum number would be encoded in it somehow.

July 27, 2020
6:46 am
Norman1
Members

A PC MasterCard can be linked to a PC Optimum account and serve as one of the cards on the account. That's how mine is set up.

In the stores, I tap the PC MasterCard once as the Optimum card and then tap it again as the payment credit card.

I suspect that one can collect PC Optimum points on pick-up PC Express orders. I remember receiving offers of bonus points in the past if I would try out their PC Express service. It might just be a matter of providing the PC Optimum account number somehow when ordering online or when picking up the order.

July 27, 2020
3:38 pm
suburbs4life
Members
Forum Posts: 159

Just an FYI, I have redeemed PC points for my pick up orders. They just always preauthorize a charge to the card on file prior to the pick up. I never fully pay the balance in points though. I doubt that matters.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.