CIBC eAdvantage Savings Account - Limited time offer: earn 1.75%* interest on new deposits when your balance is $5,000 or more | CIBC | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
CIBC eAdvantage Savings Account - Limited time offer: earn 1.75%* interest on new deposits when your balance is $5,000 or more
December 1, 2015
2:23 pm
Calibre
Members
Forum Posts: 11
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Fellow Savers,

Anyone have any experience with this offer?

Calibre

December 2, 2015
12:04 pm
Brimleychen
Members
Forum Posts: 258

Stay away from big guys. There are no free lunch!sf-wink

December 6, 2015
4:41 am
dentgal
Members
Forum Posts: 206

Not sure why Brimleychen is saying that!
Although i have not put money into this CIBC 1.75, but about 1 year ago i put money into a 2% online savings account and they kept sending me emails that they would keep the rate at 2%. I forget how long that continued, but i would guess that this 1.75 will stay for a while.
It's better than 1.5 momentum at scotia and better than 0.8% at tangarine and PC.
I got a 2.6 at PC a couple of months ago but am always looking for higher rates at other institutions.
There is a 2.5 at ZAG. Haven't set up an account yet, and i think that it will be only for 90 days.

December 14, 2015
1:55 pm
Calibre
Members
Forum Posts: 11

Turns out Brimleychen was somewhat clairvoyant in his assessment of CIBC. Although the eAdvantage account is advertised as a high-interest savings account, you cannot link any external accounts to conduct online transactions. What that means is that the offer is truly only aimed at existing customers who do their daily banking at CIBC. PCF clients don't count.

While deposits are free, every withdrawl from the account is assessed a $5 service charge. When you put all of that together, this really makes the account a short-term GIC as opposed to competitive high-interest savings account.

I will still make a few deposits over the coming weeks (for portfolio diversification reasons) with the intent of leaving the money idle until the end of the promo period (Feb. 29, 2016). I have a secured a "free" bank draft in order to pull out the funds at the end of promo, but will still have to pay the $5 service fee for a withdrawl.

Calibre

December 14, 2015
2:01 pm
kanaka
Members
Forum Posts: 1232

It is a no brainer. The big guys never last, but want you to stay on. I have been with Accelerate for years at 1.8% or more. No minimums, no limited time period, little to no fine print.

February 26, 2016
6:58 pm
dentgal
Members

Calibre: i have a CIBC chequing account so at the end of the promo period (Sunday feb 29th), i will move the money into the chequing account (online) and move the money.....so no fees to move it!!
gonna move some into zag--2.5%...
scotiabank online high interest bank account 1.5%
any other ideas?? (already maxed out EQ)...

kanaka: can you use accelerate from ontario??

February 27, 2016
9:36 am
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6679

AcceleRate Financial is an offering of the Manitoba credit union Crosstown Civic Credit Union. It is likely available to Ontario residents much like Hubert Financial (from Sunova Credit Union, also in Manitoba) is.

AcceleRate's savings account has chequing. But, each debit is $1, after the first one (by cheque, Interac, or EFT) each month. See their Service Fees page.

February 28, 2016
12:51 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9214

Yes, Accelerate is good in Ontario, and so is Hubert.

February 29, 2016
6:19 pm
dentgal
Members

1.75 cibc ends today...
anyone have a large amount of money in manitoba??
just looking up Accelerate in Manitoba: rates are good!! how long would you go?? and how much would you be comfortable putting in???

eRate GIC, TFSA, RRSP, and RRIF
1 Year Term

2.00%
2 Year Term

2.10%
3 Year Term

2.20%
4 Year Term

2.45%
5 Year Term

2.50%
6 Year Term

2.55%
7 Year Term

2.60%

" All deposits in any Manitoba credit union or
caisse populaire are guaranteed, without limit.

We ensure that Manitoba credit unions and
caisses populaires operate under sound business practices."

February 29, 2016
6:46 pm
kanaka
Members
Forum Posts: 1232

dentgal said

Calibre: i have a CIBC chequing account so at the end of the promo period (Sunday feb 29th), i will move the money into the chequing account (online) and move the money.....so no fees to move it!!
gonna move some into zag--2.5%...
scotiabank online high interest bank account 1.5%
any other ideas?? (already maxed out EQ)...

kanaka: can you use accelerate from ontario??

Yes.

February 29, 2016
6:58 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9214

I have no problem with MB credit unions. They operate under legal requirements.
You might also consider Oaken, which is an online bank insured under CDIC. For savings, it offers a comparable rate. I find them very professional to deal with.

Please write your comments in the forum.