CIBC: 2.40% interest for 120 days when you open your first eAdvantage Savings Account | Page 2 | CIBC | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
CIBC: 2.40% interest for 120 days when you open your first eAdvantage Savings Account
July 24, 2020
8:08 pm
Oscar
Members
Forum Posts: 283
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I was only able to find it here , possibly due to browser settings.
https://www.cibc.com/en/personal-banking/bank-accounts.html

Need to scroll down to "Terms and Conditions" and open PDF in fist paragraph .

July 24, 2020
8:10 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9245
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

Isn't there something ironic about opening an online account at a branch? LOL
Maybe they want to sell you a mutual fund while you're in there.

July 24, 2020
9:38 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6768

The offer page is here: CIBC eAdvantage Savings Account Bonus Interest Offer

Grow your savings with a 2.40% rate

Saving for something? Earn a bonus rate when you open your first CIBC eAdvantage® Savings Account.

Limits apply.

July 25, 2020
4:49 am
Good
Banned
Forum Posts: 98

If you have a chequing account their is no fee to transfer to e-Savings account.They want you to open or already have a chequing account with the E- Savings.

If you do not want to open a chequing account then you have to pay $5.00. If you are leaving in the money and take it out at the end who cares about the $5.00.

The fee only matters to those who are not putting in much.If it bothers someone then do not open up the account.

Like last year closed Manulife with 90 days left on a 2.75% offer.Had bad experiences with them.Had no fees with them. Would not go near them at any interest rate again.

Also closed EQ bank.They also have no fees.

End of the month will be closing B2B Bank and Laurentian. Slow horrible sites. I knew ahead of time when you are offered the highest rate bad sign. Having trouble attracting and keeping deposits.

Read of here so opened them. To be fair they both had good rates and one even better with a deposit broker.Now they are both paying 1.65%.Lower then the banks.

But both of the sites are not reliable and slow like others wrote on here.

That is why the Big Banks have more fees. They have all the locations in the country plus the instant tellers. All cost money.no one likes paying fees. That is why I have the top chequing accounts which cover include most of the fees plus premium credit cards.

Wrote this in a polite way. Everyone decides on their own what is best for them.

July 25, 2020
4:50 am
Good
Banned

Checked the offer is still available.

Just a guess they will keep it at least until the end of the month.

July 26, 2020
9:37 am
KenB
Members
Forum Posts: 3

Norman1 said
The offer page is here: CIBC eAdvantage Savings Account Bonus Interest Offer

Grow your savings with a 2.40% rate

Saving for something? Earn a bonus rate when you open your first CIBC eAdvantage® Savings Account.

Limits apply.

yes this link works, thanks. None of the previous links worked.
But my application "had a problem" so I have to apply at a branch, LOL. That's not gonna happen.

July 27, 2020
4:56 am
Good
Banned

CIBC does not care if you apply or do not.

Link worked off their banking site.Couple of friends had no trouble with it.

I had account with them.E-savings was opened instantly for me.

Most likely the offer will be over end of the month anyways.

July 27, 2020
11:04 am
HISAhopper
Members
Forum Posts: 186

rhvic said

….. I had no way to deposit anything to the new account for the first 10 days or more. They tell me the rate is good till November 13...….
well.  

I just wonder why you had no way to deposit anything right away as the account was already opened. Is it because it was opened online? If I open the account in branch I would give them a cheque and it will earn interest right away (although on hold), is it correct?

My TFSA at Meridian will be matured aug 5, I guess I need to pull it out of TFSA and park it in CIBC e-savings and bring it back in next year pending interest rate though.

Another question, the money roll into the e-savings later is still qualified for the 2.4%, is it not? I am planning to add more fund to it as other fund will be matured a couple of weeks later.
Thanks

July 27, 2020
11:49 am
Good
Banned

I had no problem depositing right away. Had accounts with CIBC already.

HISA Hopper you should try reading the offer on your own.

It says right in it you can add additional funds.

Unless you are putting in a lot of money bouncing back and fourth for a few cents is not worth it.

July 27, 2020
11:54 am
Good
Banned

And Meridian is not dumb HISA HOPPER you will not be eligible for any offers next year once you pull out of their Tax Free Account.

Once again read their small print. You can not hold a tax free account the previous year and be eligible for new offers in 2021.

All these places protect themselves. Like when they offer you a $300.00 for opening a chequing account. You can not have had for 2 years before and some places previously. Once again it states that in the offer. All you have to do is read it.

Wrote this in a polite way.

July 27, 2020
1:17 pm
HISAhopper
Members

Good said
And Meridian is not dumb HISA HOPPER you will not be eligible for any offers next year once you pull out of their Tax Free Account.

Once again read their small print. You can not hold a tax free account the previous year and be eligible for new offers in 2021.

All these places protect themselves. Like when they offer you a $300.00 for opening a chequing account. You can not have had for 2 years before and some places previously. Once again it states that in the offer. All you have to do is read it.

Thanks for the info, I am new to TFSA, did not know that once pull out cannot get back in. How long typically is one excluded for the new promo, 1 or more years?

July 27, 2020
1:26 pm
Good
Banned

Can not add in tell the following year. It would be smarter to leave the money in tax free and withdrawal it before the end of the year. And then put it in a new place then.

As far as Meridian Goes they will not give you the same promotion of 4 months and 1% bonus next year. Because you can not have had a Tax Free account with them for 12 months previously to get this promotion.

I was not eligible because I had taken out 6 months before. This year I will be eligible for their promotion.As long as Meridian is transferring the money in from another institution .

Wrote this in a polite way

As long as you are under the limit for the year you can add to your Tax Free Account. Any withdraws can not be put in tell the following year.

July 27, 2020
1:34 pm
HISAhopper
Members

Good said
Can not add in tell the following year. It would be smarter to leave the money in tax free and withdrawal it before the end of the year. And then put it in a new place then.

As far as Meridian Goes they will not give you the same promotion of 4 months and 1% bonus next year. Because you can not have had a Tax Free account with them for 12 months previously to get this promotion.

I was not eligible because I had taken out 6 months before. This year I will be eligible for their promotion.As long as Meridian is transferring the money in from another institution .

Wrote this in a polite way

As long as you are under the limit for the year you can add to your Tax Free Account. Any withdraws can not be put in tell the following year.  

My TFSA GIC has been 1.5 years by Aug 5th this year. I am still debating whether to leave it at Meridian or move it out, leaning towards taking it CIBC e-savings.
It is hard to predict when the next good promo comes along in this kind of climate either at the same Meridian or other FI's.

July 27, 2020
1:36 pm
Good
Banned

Once again all you have to do is read about TAX FREE accounts on any bank or Financial institution website. Everything is their .

You should not be putting money into anything unless you read about the account ahead of time. I would not base any decision of what you read on this site or any other.

If you go from high interest rate to another it is not worth it unless you have a high enough deposit.Even then would not go near a lot of the places.

Based of your comments of not reading about offers on your own you are most likely not depositing much anyways. Not worth it.

July 27, 2020
1:40 pm
Good
Banned

You could have locked up with Meridian and got 2.50% and then 2.25%

I locked up in one place at 2.75% tell early next year.

I'm not going to tell you what to do. Your decision. If you are hesitating that is telling you something right their.

Wrote you back in a polite way also.

July 27, 2020
3:00 pm
HISAhopper
Members

Good said
You could have locked up with Meridian and got 2.50% and then 2.25%

I locked up in one place at 2.75% tell early next year.

I'm not going to tell you what to do. Your decision. If you are hesitating that is telling you something right their.

Wrote you back in a polite way also.  

The timing did not permit as it is locked in TFSA GIC for 3.25% till Aug 5th ,2020.
Another downside of taking the fund out of TFSA is that a direct deposit to TFSA may not qualify for a new promo requiring a transfer from TFSA to TFSA.

July 27, 2020
3:38 pm
Loonie
Members

If you don't already have a CIBC Convenience Card, the most financially efficient way to utilize this offer is to go into a branch, preferably with an appointment.. They will set it all up for you and give you the card that you need for online right away.
I did this this afternoon and deposited money while there.
This offer could disappear at any moment, so I suggest doing it this way if you can. Wear a mask.

July 27, 2020
4:44 pm
HISAhopper
Members

Loonie said
If you don't already have a CIBC Convenience Card, the most financially efficient way to utilize this offer is to go into a branch, preferably with an appointment.. They will set it all up for you and give you the card that you need for online right away.
I did this this afternoon and deposited money while there.
This offer could disappear at any moment, so I suggest doing it this way if you can. Wear a mask.  

I don't have anything with CIBC at the moment, I was going to walk in on Fri and do this, but with your advice I will proceed with an appointment ( and a mask ). Thanks.

July 27, 2020
9:46 pm
Loonie
Members

You're welcome. The appointment gets you past the security person so you don't have to stand in line.
The guy we were supposed to meet with was still busy with a previous client, but, because we'd gotten that far into the branch, someone else dealt with us instead.

July 28, 2020
3:09 pm
davidgeorge
Members
Forum Posts: 294

I opened an eAdvantage Savings Account, but nowhere I can find the 2.40% interest rate and promotion ending date in my account.

cibc.JPG

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.