First increase since January 2016 | Bridgewater Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
First increase since January 2016
November 27, 2018
8:16 pm
Peter
Admin
Forum Posts: 1404
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

I just noticed that Bridgewater Bank's savings account is now at 2.50%, up from 1.75% where it had been since January 4, 2016.

November 29, 2018
11:07 pm
Vatox
Members
Forum Posts: 1218
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

Just wondered why Bridgewater isn't on the GIC chart? Reasonable rates compared to the cellar dwellers

IMG_6042.PNG

I don't use the bank myself. Just wondering.

November 30, 2018
1:20 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9243

One can do better elsewhere on all these rates.

In addition, from their FAQ:

"How can I purchase a Bridgewater Bank GIC?

Bridgewater Bank works with a select network of expert deposit brokers and financial advisors – you can purchase a Bridgewater Bank GIC through them. We are a member of the Registered Deposit Brokers Association (RDBA), and you can find a list of deposit brokers on the RDBA website. To open a GIC with us, contact a broker from the RDBA or ask your deposit broker/financial advisor today."

If you're going to have to go through a deposit broker, said broker can likely get you a better deal elsewhere, or you can get one on your own steam somewhere else.

Deposit brokers have their place, but I think it's best if the chart sticks to DIY.

November 30, 2018
9:03 am
Vatox
Members

So, you are saying you can't purchase the GICs through Bridgewater if you have an account there? That's all I'm asking, or are you forced to go through a broker? If you can purchase those posted rates through Bridgewater, I see no reason to exclude them from the chart. Yes, there are better offers out there, but if we only posted the best offers, then why is the GIC chart as long as it is? Bridgewater rates are much better than the bottom.

If you can purchase those rates at Bridgewater(from Bridgewater HISA) then it is DIY.

November 30, 2018
9:56 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9243

Perhaps you should ask them. All I know is that it says on their website that you purchase through brokers and advisors. I would think that if they intended you to buy them directly, they'd be eager to promote that
I don't recall anyone on this forum ever saying they bought any, through any channel.

November 30, 2018
10:00 am
Vatox
Members

Lol, one free withdrawal per month,then $5. Okay forget this FI all together.IMG_6043.PNG

November 30, 2018
11:15 am
Vatox
Members

I'm not interested in this FI anymore, but I'll report my findings.

This is the reply from Bridgewater about GICs..

If you are an AMA (Alberta Motor Association) member you can contact us by telephone. If you are not an AMA member, all GIC purchases do have to go through a broker. If you have any further inquiries kindly contact Customer Experience at 1-866-243-4301, between 8am to 4pm MST, for further assistance.

Sincerely,

Customer Experience Team
Suite 150, 926 - 5th Ave. SW Calgary, AB T2P 0N7
customer.experience@bridgewaterbank.ca
Phone: 866.243.4301 | Fax: 866.841.3537
BwB-blue barLinkedInTwitter

You need to live in Alberta to DIY, lol.

Please write your comments in the forum.