We have our second survey on this site, this time on Manitoba credit unions! Enter for a chance to win one of 2 $50 prizes!
Got ideas for other surveys? Post a response in this thread!
I have now closed the survey. Thanks to everybody for participating! I have drawn and e-mailed the two potential prize winners. If they do not respond by the end of the day on Tuesday, October 9, I will re-draw the prize(s).
We had 70 responses. It was skewed towards those who do have an account with a Manitoba credit union (66%). Of those, the most popular ones were AcceleRate, then Hubert, then Achieva.
17% of respondents had never heard of the Manitoba credit unions before they took the survey.
Top concerns were:
- "Hard to access my money"
- "I don't feel safe putting my money there"
- "They're not local"
The main reason for people to consider banking with a Manitoba credit union was far and away for higher interest rates.
Full results to be posted soon!
I've now posted the full results:
Some interesting comments related to:
- Deposit insurance: some are happy about the fact that deposit insurance is unlimited, but many are also concerned about how safe their money is.
- Some are concerned about accessibility of funds and not being able to speak to customer service representatives face-to-face
- Many people have no worries about banking with Manitoba credit unions (note that two thirds of respondents have banked with a Manitoba credit union)
- General availability: general confusion about whether non Manitoba residents can open accounts. The answer being that yes, they can.
December 12, 2009
Great survey results, Peter.
I found one of my responses listed:
"I have recently moved my money out of Hubert Financial, a division of Sunova Credit Union, due to the limited access, lower returns on their high-interest savings accounts versus competitors and lack of a free, unlimited chequing account. They have also yet to pay me a member dividend. I still maintain my membership, only $100 in member equity shares and do have $100.35 on deposit."
Could anyone else tell if that was my response?
December 12, 2009
Hehehe, I remember the discussion about purchasing extra shares!
An update on Hubert Financial dividends from CSR "Tara" via an online chat session:
Yes and here was my response. Our dividends are paid annually based on the previous years ending balance. You will be paid a dividend in December this year. If you provide me your member number and secret password I can confirm"
So the reason no dividend was paid last year (2011) in mid-December was because I was not a member in 2010. Gotcha.
Exactly. Historically the dividends have paid very well so it is always exciting to find out. I will be sure to let you know."
I'll keep you guys updated on what the dividend amount will be for me (I have $100 in member equity shares; each share is $5).