5.75% 120 Day GIC | Page 2 | Motive Financial | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
5.75% 120 Day GIC
January 9, 2024
7:32 am
RYAN
Members
Forum Posts: 27
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

I decided not to buy any GIC from MF disregarding its rate. Because 1. Its GIC is auto-renew at maturity when bought online. 2. It's hard if not impossible to get through its phone line to change the maturity option to undo auto-renew.

January 30, 2024
9:09 am
GR
Members
Forum Posts: 634

Reminder that this promo of 5.75% for 4 months GIC is SCHEDULED to end tomorrow, Jan. 31.

No wait time for CSR to answer phone this morning.

February 1, 2024
7:01 am
GR
Members

The promo rate is now 5.50% for 4 months GIC; offer available until March31, 2024.

February 2, 2024
1:00 pm
LK
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 195

The promo page should be updated to show 5.50% (not 5.40%), and per the post above the expiry is March 28/24 (not March 31).

https://www.motivefinancial.com/en/120-day-gic

February 3, 2024
3:23 pm
rhvic
Victoria, BC
Members
Forum Posts: 468

Note that the promo rate of 5.5% for 120 days is for new money only. I have a GIC at Motive which matures next week, but presume I could not get this rate as the money is considered 'old'.

By the way, I did call Motive re that GIC which renews this week, as of course it was set to automatically renew for another one year term. I was pleasantly surprised to get a return call within five minutes of leaving a message, during which I asked instead that it be put in my savings account. Sadly, when I did get the call-back, I was taken aback that the person did nothing to identify herself, just said 'what can I do for you?" without telling me she was returning my message to Motive. Poor service quality.

February 5, 2024
12:51 pm
smayer97
Members
Forum Posts: 787

Does Motive use a waterline approach, like Tangerine, or does it treat ALL transfer in as new money, even if it is withdrawn, then moved back in, like DUCA does?

February 6, 2024
5:57 am
Alexandre
Members
Forum Posts: 1112
sp_UserOnlineSmall Online

My 5.75% promo GIC matured today, funds deposited to Savings account. Exactly as I instructed CSR over the phone when opening GIC.
Just FYI.

February 6, 2024
6:40 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2876

smayer97 said
Does Motive use a waterline approach, like Tangerine, or does it treat ALL transfer in as new money, even if it is withdrawn, then moved back in, like DUCA does?  

I dont think they do or it will be mentioned I believe.
Most likely they will monitor it similar to Duca, which is why you need to call in and the rep will "check" if the money qualifies. And how they check depends on the rep obviously 🙂

February 8, 2024
9:08 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3924

Just called Motive, have a 120-day GIC maturing to savings account in a few days, to get the current 120-day 5.5% rate GIC for new money I have to move the matured funds out of Motive and then back in, according to phone rep.

Their site says "This special interest rate only applies to funds not held on deposit at Motive Financial prior to November 1, 2023".

The phone rep came on immediately, in all my years with Motive I've never experienced waits like some people on here are reporting, always been pretty much immediate for me. In general I've always experienced top-notch service with Motive.

April 1, 2024
1:27 pm
GR
Members

The promo for a 4 month GIC with new money at 5.50% p.a. has been extended to May 31, 2024.

April 10, 2024
7:59 pm
Lamaison
Members
Forum Posts: 25

Bill said
Just called Motive, have a 120-day GIC maturing to savings account in a few days, to get the current 120-day 5.5% rate GIC for new money I have to move the matured funds out of Motive and then back in, according to phone rep.

Their site says "This special interest rate only applies to funds not held on deposit at Motive Financial prior to November 1, 2023"..................

-
So has anybody tried this and can confirm that it indeed works i.e. move money out and then back in and into the 120-day GIC?

EDIT: Just checked and there site now says: ".......buy a GIC with new money. New Money is defined as funds not held on deposit with Motive Financial prior to February 1, 2024".

April 12, 2024
10:57 am
Lodown
Members
Forum Posts: 194

Lamaison said

Bill said

Their site says "This special interest rate only applies to funds not held on deposit at Motive Financial prior to November 1, 2023"..................

-
So has anybody tried this and can confirm that it indeed works i.e. move money out and then back in and into the 120-day GIC?

EDIT: Just checked and there site now says: ".......buy a GIC with new money. New Money is defined as funds not held on deposit with Motive Financial prior to February 1, 2024".  

So, does money in a GIC constitute "funds held on deposit" or is it just what is in the daily interest bank accounts?

April 12, 2024
11:02 am
savemoresaveoften
Members
Forum Posts: 2876

Lodown said

So, does money in a GIC constitute "funds held on deposit" or is it just what is in the daily interest bank accounts?  

i believe they count everything under ur name. GIC is a fixed deposit.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.