HSBC Direct down to 0.80% | HSBC | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
HSBC Direct down to 0.80%
September 15, 2009
4:25 am
Mike
Guests

http://www.hsbcdirect.ca/1/2/3/

HSBC Direct
0.80% Everyday Rate

September 15, 2009
4:26 am
Mike
Guests

Just when I thought rates were stable and even slightly starting to go up (like .20%) HSBC Direct cuts 20% off the top.

Mike

September 15, 2009
7:54 am
Scone
Guests

Am I ever glad I pulled all (well, most) of my money out of these "high interest savings accounts" back in June (I've still got my emergency cash fund with CTFS for now). Not to brag, but I've made more money in the financial markets over the past three months than I would have made at current "high interest" savings rates in over FIVE YEARS. I think the markets still have some steam left before the free money (i.e. central bank money printing presses) starts to peter out... probably late winter 2010 or early spring. I highly recommend investing in dividend-paying blue chips like the Canadian Banks instead of keeping money in these savings accounts. As an example, national Bank of Canada (NA) closed yesterday at $60 per share, and pays a big quarterly dividend of $0.62/share. Let's say you buy $5000 worth of NA at $60 which gets you 83 shares plus commission. Four times per year, National Bank will pay you a dividend of 0.62 x 83 = $51.46. This is $205.84 per year. That works out to a yield of 205.84/5000 x 100 = 4.1%. That's almost DOUBLE what the highest savings account pays (People's Choice at 2.1%). As an added bonus, dividends from Canadian companies qualify for the dividend tax credit, so you'll pay less tax on that $205.84 than you would have paid if you had to claim it as interest income from a savings account. Yes, the stock price will fluctuate, but as long as you hang onto the shares, you'll keep getting the dividend, and Canada's banks aren't going to be cutting their dividends anytime soon (they are among the best capitalized banks in the world). Just something to think about.

September 15, 2009
10:33 am
Prag
Guests

Well this rate cut certainly sucks, and really doesn't look good against other places offering more than twice the interest rate!

Scone: I've been quite pleased with how the markets have rebounded since the bottom of the crash as well, but there is also a notable amount of concern at this time that the market is simply stabilized at this point and not much growth will be going on through 2010. Many have said that we've only seen half the total job loss numbers so far, which are going to continue for at least another year, and we need to keep in mind many of those jobs are never coming back due to permanent economic changes and loss of industry sectors. In any case I have investments in HISAs, stocks, funds, and bonds so we'll see who does the best over the next year or two...

Please write your comments in the forum.