HSBC 2.40% to 3.00% on new deposits until September 3, 2019 | Page 2 | HSBC Direct | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
HSBC 2.40% to 3.00% on new deposits until September 3, 2019
May 8, 2019
1:41 am
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 5039
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

So, for those of you who accepted this offer, what happened at the end of April? Did you get the interest you expected?

Also, has anyone confirmed that withdrawals are possible by pulling from other FIs such as Hubert, as suggested by Norman?

May 8, 2019
9:47 am
Doug
West Kelowna
Members
Forum Posts: 2475

Just do add, HSBC can be quite challenging to deal with, particularly since they eliminated self-to-self bank-to-bank transfers in summer 2016 or summer 2017, I believe.

For that reason, and the higher promo rate, I'd tend to favour the Manulife Bank offer being discussed in this thread.

If you're a Canadian Tire Bank customer and received a targeted offer, that one is also great.

Cheers,
Doug

May 8, 2019
9:49 am
Doug
West Kelowna
Members

Loonie said
So, for those of you who accepted this offer, what happened at the end of April? Did you get the interest you expected?

Also, has anyone confirmed that withdrawals are possible by pulling from other FIs such as Hubert, as suggested b y Norman?  

Yes, as I worked for HSBC, you can definitely pull money externally from HSBC, but that's the only way since they eliminated bank-to-bank transfers in summer 2016 or summer 2017, I believe. They will be treated as a pre-authorized debit from that account, which is a 'chargeable' debit transaction; however, I think their High Rate Savings does offer 3 free debit transactions per month (overlimit $5.00 each).

Cheers,
Doug

May 8, 2019
11:43 am
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 65

Loonie said

Also, has anyone confirmed that withdrawals are possible by pulling from other FIs such as Hubert, as suggested by Norman?  

As mention before, I opened a CAD account for that promotion. Waited a couple of days after the end of April and called HSBC cause I did not see any credits for the interest. The rep told me that the date of the credit deposit of the interest vary depending of the client cycle date. In my case it is the 13th of each month, same as my other HSBC account. So lets wait and see.

May 8, 2019
12:32 pm
Doug
West Kelowna
Members

Slybanking said

As mention before, I opened a CAD account for that promotion. Waited a couple of days after the end of April and called HSBC cause I did not see any credits for the interest. The rep told me that the date of the credit deposit of the interest vary depending of the client cycle date. In my case it is the 13th of each month, same as my other HSBC account. So lets wait and see.  

Yes, that's a good point, Slybanking. HSBC doesn't use an "end of the month" statement date like so many financial institutions do. When I worked there, I actually thought that was more common.

One's statement date is determined by the date on which they open their first account with HSBC. There's probably about 20-25 different possible statement cycle dates. For example, mine was sometime between the 17th and 23rd when I opened my account.

Also, in or around 2011 or 2012, HSBC made it so all new bank accounts were opened under a composite statement. That is, all sole and joint accounts are included as part of a single printed statement or e-Statement. Accounts opened prior to then may receive separate account e-Statements or printed statements, but you can submit a secure message request or telephone the Contact Centre to request you be migrated to a composite statement.

Cheers,
Doug

May 8, 2019
6:31 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 5039

Thanks for the updates.

May 9, 2019
8:33 am
Slybanking
Members
Forum Posts: 65

Thanks for the detailed explanation Doug.

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.