Confirmed - RBC Royal Bank to cut branch network by 20% by 2023 | Page 3 | RBC Royal Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Confirmed - RBC Royal Bank to cut branch network by 20% by 2023
April 29, 2019
3:32 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

christinad said
It will be interesting to see what TD Canada Trust does. They seem to have a lot of branches.  

Yeah, but interestingly, RBC Royal Bank had about 100 more branches in Canada than TDCT (1335 versus 1130), as at October 31, 2018. CIBC would be in third place for number of branches, at about 1095 or so, I think, but they also tend to have the "last branch in town" in a lot of cases (they and RBC). TDCT's branches tend to be highly urbanized, so I actually think they've got more potential for cuts.

For example, TDCT could easily close their nearly brand new (less than 10 years old) Okanagan Lake Shopping Centre branch in West Kelowna/Westbank First Nation and their Glenmore branch in Kelowna and not miss a beat. They could probably close one of each of their Penticton and Vernon branches, too.

Cheers,
Doug

April 29, 2019
4:52 pm
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3919

Doug, I don't care or know enough about postal banking to have an opinion, I'll leave it to the experts to figure it out. But one needs to remember that the decision on where to live, like all decisions, has consequences that come with it, so figure out what you can and can't live without before making that choice. We are lucky in Canada, we can set up our lives to work and live in the middle of nowhere or downtown in a metropolis, and everything in between, and all have their pros and cons. Personally, I think that the global flow of humanity off the land into population dense areas is awesome news ecologically and that non-urban living (e.g. driving a private vehicle 50 miles for some milk!) is going to increasingly be treated as a luxury, so it's gonna cost increasingly more.

April 29, 2019
5:05 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4230

Bill said
Doug, I don't care or know enough about postal banking to have an opinion, I'll leave it to the experts to figure it out. But one needs to remember that the decision on where to live, like all decisions, has consequences that come with it, so figure out what you can and can't live without before making that choice. We are lucky in Canada, we can set up our lives to work and live in the middle of nowhere or downtown in a metropolis, and everything in between, and all have their pros and cons. Personally, I think that the global flow of humanity off the land into population dense areas is awesome news ecologically and that non-urban living (e.g. driving a private vehicle 50 miles for some milk!) is going to increasingly be treated as a luxury, so it's gonna cost increasingly more.  

Bill, you make some good points in terms of the eco-friendliness of urban living; however, part of that is because governments do not think further ahead than the lengths of their, well, I'll leave that up to forum members to draw their own analogies. 😉

If governments would think and plan with a long-term vision like our forefathers did with railways and transcontinental highway networks, we could establish a pan-Canadian mass transit system and suddenly unlock a lot of land area by which people could live further away from cities whilst still living within a minimal environmental footprint.

With the anemic economic growth and inflation that we have, I suspect the Bank of Canada could be engaged to print additional money and lend it to the Government of Canada, interest-free, with only a nominal uptick in inflation.

Cheers,
Doug

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.