Confirmed - RBC Royal Bank to cut branch network by 20% by 2023 | RBC Royal Bank | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Confirmed - RBC Royal Bank to cut branch network by 20% by 2023
April 26, 2019
3:47 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

According to this article in the Financial Post, RBC Royal Bank announced in summer 2018 that they plan to cut their number of branches by 20% within five years (or less), so call it 2023 (at the latest). A 4% cut in 2015 by RBC eliminated 40 branches (that 4% cut equated to a 6% cut in square footage). In this case, that 20% refers to number of branches, not square footage. And, despite telling us 10 years ago that more, smaller branches were better...they seem to have reversed course and are telling us they want to consolidate smaller branches into larger 7,000-10,000 square foot monstrosities. sf-cool

As at their 2018 annual report (October 31, 2018), they had 1,333 bank branches in Canada. Cutting 20% would mean at least a net drop of 200 branches even you factor in new branch openings as a result of the consolidations.

I expect Scotia, CIBC, TDCT, and BMO to follow suit with similar branch closure plans.

So, Scotia and TDCT, with ~950 or less branches a piece should drop about 180 branches each, to, call it, 730 each. BMO, at roughly 900, should be down to about 720. CIBC, at roughly 1100 branches, should drop to 900 or so.

They're cutting branches anyway...maybe we should consider postal banking? sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

April 26, 2019
4:45 pm
AltaRed
BC Interior
Members
Forum Posts: 2868

Don't want a crown Corp involved in the banking system

April 26, 2019
7:17 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

Post Office banking has worked well in other jurisdictions, and they have more branches. and are accessible. My relatives overseas have used them for many years.
And the Province of Ontario Savings Office also worked very well as long as it existed.

It has become clear to me over the last while that the Big Banks' operations as regards "ordinary" Canadians are increasingly focused on "wealth management", loans, and credit cards, along with some online banking. Alternative banks and CUs are filling the voids that the large banks have vacated, including taking over their premises.

They seem to be trying to impress us, not by providing better service or better rates, but by installing better furniture into larger spaces in fewer locations.

And to that I say, "BS".

April 27, 2019
4:57 am
Top It Up
Members (temp break)
Forum Posts: 1363

AltaRed said
Don't want a crown Corp involved in the banking system  

I'm totally with @AltaRed on this.

For the record, Deutsche Postbank is NOT held by the German government but rather is a subsidiary of parent Deutsche Bank, which by the way, is having its own troubles these days.

April 27, 2019
5:59 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Top It Up said

I'm totally with @AltaRed on this.

For the record, Deutsche Postbank is NOT held by the German government but rather is a subsidiary of parent Deutsche Bank, which by the way, is having its own troubles these days.  

Right, but I believe it was originally a state-owned corporation prior to privatization many years ago.

Also, in the UK, Royal Mail is now a privatized, publicly-traded concern whose CEO was previously CEO of Canada Post Corp. sf-cool

The only concern I'd have with postal banking is in institutionalizing a high labour cost structure by providing another source of revenue to sustain those labour costs. Otherwise, though, looking ahead 5, 10, and even 15 years, it's conceivable that the "Big 5" banks will each have cut their branch networks by 50%, reduced hours of operation in those that remain, and even the credit unions will have cut their branch networks modestly.

We've got all these rural postal outlets that are under-utilized, so why not take advantage of them? Whether that's for Canada Post to provide contractual counter and ATM services to multiple banking and credit union stakeholder partners or to provide its own banking services or even to provide both, I'm not sure. The former could actually be done without a banking license. They'd just need the technology and staff training in terms of regulatory compliance (i.e., KYC), of which they already have some by issuing money orders, doing MoneyGram wire transfers, and selling prepaid credit cards (with high fees!). In essence, Canada Post would be an agent or agency to banks and credit unions. (It already can verify identity for banks, credit unions, and the like, and makes a bit of money doing so.) HSBC Bank Canada used to have a Pender Island Agency location on B.C.'s Pender Island that had its own branch transit number. It was operated by Pender Island Realty Ltd, with the staff employees of Pender Island Realty, until late 2012 when HSBC closed it down. Island Savings Credit Union (now part of First West Credit Union) took over and renovated the space and, presumably, won many HSBC customers from that.

Cheers,
Doug

April 27, 2019
7:44 am
Top It Up
Members (temp break)

Retail at every level and every genre is dying ... millennials are just to darned busy networking to have to take time out to go to the bank or do grocery shopping ... it's all about online.

A lot of the FI branches I witness closing are already small outlets and are/were in areas where the demographics are changing. Hell I'm a senior and I only go to my bricks and mortar branch a couplea times a year just to withdraw cash from the ATM (and I only go there now, because it's in the same shopping complex as my grocery store and liquor store), so I couldn't care less whether they stay or go.

April 27, 2019
8:01 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Top It Up said
Retail at every level and every genre is dying ... millennials are just to darned busy networking to have to take time out to go to the bank or do grocery shopping ... it's all about online.

A lot of the FI branches I witness closing are already small outlets and are/were in areas where the demographics are changing. Hell I'm a senior and I only go to my bricks and mortar branch a couplea times a year just to withdraw cash from the ATM (and I only go there now, because it's in the same shopping complex as my grocery store and liquor store), so I couldn't care less whether they stay or go.  

Yeah, and to add the point about bricks and mortar retail's decline, it's not just millennials but thrifty Baby Boomers and seniors that don't spend any money (or as little as possible).

When I think about all of that, it depresses me. 🙁

On the upside, kudos to you for using an ATM on the rare times you go in to a branch to get cash. A lot of seniors insist on using counter services to get their cash. I'm with you - I like the so-called "ugly teller," chiefly because you can avoid entirely the high pressure sales pitches at the counter. 😉

Plus, you've got more privacy. When I worked at HSBC, I basically had to quickly review the last month's worth of transactions for each client to uncover potential sales opportunities. So, I got to know a great deal about a person (i.e., how many trips to the liquor store they make in an average week, or on an average day, whether they gamble, etc.) before even talking to them.

Cheers,
Doug

April 27, 2019
10:46 am
Bill
Members
Forum Posts: 3911

Big banks are smartly going after higher margin stuff where there's less competition, it's a deliberate component of the plan to repel parsimonious folks with low CLV.

And it's the young folks and their pied pipers who tell us we're all destroying their future & planet by our consumption, our travelling, etc, so now they're depressed because we're not spending freely - ?

Bottom line is today's people's first preferred tool for anything is via screen, so the marketplace is mirroring that in all sectors.

April 27, 2019
11:28 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Bill said
Big banks are smartly going after higher margin stuff where there's less competition, it's a deliberate component of the plan to repel parsimonious folks with low CLV.

And it's the young folks and their pied pipers who tell us we're all destroying their future & planet by our consumption, our travelling, etc, so now they're depressed because we're not spending freely - ?

Bottom line is today's people's first preferred tool for anything is via screen, so the marketplace is mirroring that in all sectors.  

CLV?

And, I should clarify, I'm not one of those "young folks" with a "pied piper" that thinks you're "destroying [my] future [...]". 😉

Cheers,
Doug

April 27, 2019
12:06 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 715

Doug said

CLV?

And, I should clarify, I'm not one of those "young folks" with a "pied piper" that thinks you're "destroying [my] future [...]". 😉

Cheers,
Doug  

CLV = Customer Lifetime Value ??
Crazy all the short forms millenials are using, I can't keep up- example:
TL;DR - too long, didn't read
FTW - For the Win
YMMV - Your Mileage May Vary

April 27, 2019
1:08 pm
Norman1
Members
Forum Posts: 6747

Doug said

Yeah, and to add the point about bricks and mortar retail's decline, it's not just millennials but thrifty Baby Boomers and seniors that don't spend any money (or as little as possible).

It is more how the spending is eventually squared up rather than how much spending is done.

Use to have to visit a bricks-and-mortar branch and see a teller regularly to withdraw cash to spend or to deposit a paper pay cheque to have spending money. Also see teller to pay bills received by postal mail.

Now, branch visits are infrequent. Pay is direct deposited. Spending is with a debit card or credit card. If credit card, then the resulting credit card bills (and other bills) can be paid from home using online banking.

Even rural credit unions are affected. Once a member is onboarded, the member can do much of their banking through the online banking web site.

April 27, 2019
1:09 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Norman1 said

Doug said

It is more how the spending is eventually squared up rather than how much spending is done.

Use to have to visit a bricks-and-mortar branch and see a teller regularly to withdraw cash to spend or to deposit a paper pay cheque to have spending money. Also see teller to pay bills received by postal mail.

Now, branch visits are infrequent. Pay is direct deposited. Spending is with a debit card or credit card. If credit card, then the resulting credit card bills (and other bills) can be paid from home using online banking.

Even rural credit unions are affected. Once a member is onboarded, the member can do much of their banking through the online banking web site.  

Thanks, Norman...by spending, I was referring to general spending in bricks & mortar retail, not specifically in-branch versus online/mobile/telephone banking. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

April 27, 2019
1:48 pm
Norman1
Members

Doug said

Thanks, Norman...by spending, I was referring to general spending in bricks & mortar retail, not specifically in-branch versus online/mobile/telephone banking. sf-cool

Bricks & mortar retail spending is actually lot more than the e-commerce hype suggests. According to Statistics Canada, 2017 total retail trade was around $629 billion. Of that, only $16.7 billion or 2.7% was e-commerce.

I suspect that 2.7% of spending lost to online shopping is because of exorbitant markup in the pricing by some bricks-and-mortar retailers. I'm willing to pay a bit more to be able to buy an item at a local store. But, not 40%, 50%, or 80% more than I can order it from Amazon.ca for.

April 27, 2019
2:27 pm
Norman1
Members

Doug said

We've got all these rural postal outlets that are under-utilized, so why not take advantage of them?…

Affinity Credit Union closed their Gronlid, Saskatchewan branch in June 2017. Humbolt Journal (March 1, 2017): Gronlid credit union to close in June:

[Affinity Credit Union CEO Tim] Schroh said those using the credit union are changing their behaviours, doing more banking digitally and through ATMs.

“Members are using the branch less and less and using other channels more and more.”

I suspect there wasn't enough in-branch activity to keep the branch staff of two busy!

If people don't need to visit a branch for banking, then they won't need to visit a Canada Post office either for banking.

April 27, 2019
3:23 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Thanks, Norman...I read in Affinity's 2018 annual report that they'd closed about 10 supposedly very small, rural branch locations, but wondered where they were. The fact that the branch had a staff of two (I suspect a Manager, Member Services, and a Teller, but could've also been an Account Manager and a Teller) does suggest it was a tiny, seldom used branch. The thing that concerns me, though, is how far is it to the nearest Affinity branch from Gronlid?

Edit: I'm going to go out on a limb and guess there's no branch in Fairy Glen (nearest village/hamlet), so the nearest branches would, presumably, be based in Tisdale (73 km from Gronlid, so quite a distance for someone without a car) and Melfort (33 km from Gronlid, less of a distance but still the equivalent of a drive from West Kelowna to Lake Country, roughly speaking).

Looks like there's no postal outlet in Gronlid, so wouldn't have helped them. As far as I can tell, there's a grain elevator, a school, a rural fire hall, a community hall, a saloon, a former credit union branch, and a bunch of houses. I suspect they're probably used to rural living.

Regarding our postal outlets and adding banking counter services, this would actually be trying to boost the postal outlet staff's productivity by adding additional services to the rural post offices and prevent more post office closures. So, it'd be a win-win strategy, I think, in adding banking services to a bank-less town/village/hamlet whilst trying to protect the post office.

Cheers,
Doug

April 27, 2019
3:28 pm
Briguy
Members
Forum Posts: 715

Doug said

Also, in the UK, Royal Mail is now a privatized, publicly-traded concern whose CEO was previously CEO of Canada Post Corp. sf-cool

We've got all these rural postal outlets that are under-utilized, so why not take advantage of them? Whether that's for Canada Post to provide contractual counter and ATM services to multiple banking and credit union stakeholder partners or to provide its own banking services or even to provide both, I'm not sure. The former could actually be done without a banking license. They'd just need the technology and staff training in terms of regulatory compliance (i.e., KYC), of which they already have some by issuing money orders, doing MoneyGram wire transfers, and selling prepaid credit cards (with high fees!). In essence, Canada Post would be an agent or agency to banks and credit unions. (It already can verify identity for banks, credit unions, and the like, and makes a bit of money doing so.)

Cheers,
Doug  

UK Royal Mail is about as reliable as Canada Post. My neighbours regularly get my mail, just the other day my gas bill was handed to me by my neighbour who had held on to it for a while. I ended up paying it past due date. I should really switch to emailed bills, but I like keeping the paper records for a few years.

Canada Post is already starting to do a lot of official duties, like you mentioned. They aren't using post office employees here in Toronto at least, they are usually a chain store pharmacy's specially trained staff. Other examples of their new abilities include loading money on your Stack prepaid Mastercard,and Ontario University students mailing in their Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) at a designated Canada Post outlet ( not just any of the post offices ) in order to get OSAP registration.

April 27, 2019
3:33 pm
Top It Up
Members (temp break)

Post offices have long gone the DoDo bird route in villages and hamlets in the Prairies - if a PO still exists it does so out of side room in a farmer's house or a country store, if you can find one of those. The talk about postal banks comes from the postal unions that see a quantum drop in letter mail year over year - our mailman doesn't even carry a bag anymore he can do both sides of the street carrying the mail in one hand - he carriies the bag once a week, flyer day, because there's extra coin in it for him.

April 27, 2019
3:37 pm
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members

Briguy said
UK Royal Mail is about as reliable as Canada Post. My neighbours regularly get my mail, just the other day my gas bill was handed to me by my neighbour who had held on to it for a while. I ended up paying it past due date. I should really switch to emailed bills, but I like keeping the paper records for a few years.

You could still switch to e-mailed bills and print out paper copies. Or, do like I do and save PDF copies of your monthly bills in folders by the name of the biller, sub-arranged by year. I'll probably keep for about ~60 years or so. sf-cool

Canada Post is already starting to do a lot of official duties, like you mentioned. They aren't using post office employees here in Toronto at least, they are usually a chain store pharmacy's specially trained staff. Other examples of their new abilities include loading money on your Stack prepaid Mastercard,and Ontario University students mailing in their Master Student Financial Assistance Agreement (MSFAA) at a designated Canada Post outlet ( not just any of the post offices ) in order to get OSAP registration.  

Yep to all of that and, apparently, certain prepaid credit cards charge a Canada Post fee and say Canada Post charges it. That may well be, but I suspect the fee Canada Post charges the prepaid credit card company is much smaller than the fee that the prepaid credit card company charges their end user. 😉

Out here in the Kelowna area, we've got a few Canada Post Corp.-owned and operated post offices, in Peachland and at the Okanagan Mission post office and Kelowna postal stations. The rest of them are, like you say, most independent postal outlet franchisee locations. Shoppers Drug Mart has almost all of them, but London Drugs has the second postal outlet in the West Kelowna area (technically, it's on Westbank First Nation lands).

Cheers,
Doug

April 27, 2019
10:45 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9235

Doug said
A lot of seniors insist on using counter services to get their cash. I'm with you - I like the so-called "ugly teller," chiefly because you can avoid entirely the high pressure sales pitches at the counter. 😉

Plus, you've got more privacy. When I worked at HSBC, I basically had to quickly review the last month's worth of transactions for each client to uncover potential sales opportunities. So, I got to know a great deal about a person (i.e., how many trips to the liquor store they make in an average week, or on an average day, whether they gamble, etc.) before even talking to them.

Cheers,
Doug  

I never thought of that "spying" aspect! sf-laugh
It sounds like a great reason to either not use debit and credit cards or to use ones offered by a different bank. (That is in fact what I do.)
I know that some old people think that they can't get a credit card from a bank other than the one where they have savings accounts.

April 28, 2019
6:52 am
mechone
Ontario
Members
Forum Posts: 174

I don't have a problem with them closing branches ,they already have in Oshawa where I live ( 40 years at the same branch now closed).99% of my banking /stocks etc is done over net. What I do have a problem is and I phoned them and complained is access to cash , bank machines.
They have moved all branches out of the core , cancelled contract with esso and shoppers drug mart removing all machines and signed on with petro Canada. Problem being there are only a couple of Petro Canada stations on the outskirts of Oshawa, and a ton in Whitby. So now it's drive to another town to get cash or to an out of the way rbc.
The only time I need a branch is to deposit a cheque ,which is now out of the way.
My wife has the same issue with BNS and their machines.
This is also a problem for the elderly and the poor ,no way of getting to a branch or machine

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.