2016 taxes and related software | Page 2 | Income tax filing | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

No permission to create posts
sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
2016 taxes and related software
March 14, 2017
11:48 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

StudioTax is OK and I commend them for revolutionizing the income tax software with their "free," open-source possibly, option with donations strongly encouraged business model.

That said, once you switch to SimpleTax, you won't want to go back. It's that good. 😉

Cheers,
Doug

March 21, 2017
9:47 pm
Jon
Members
Forum Posts: 417

https://sherpa.tax/
Seems like an interesting software, easy to use for the personal benefit section. Haven't try other parts through.

March 22, 2017
10:56 am
Doug
British Columbia, Canada
Members
Forum Posts: 4223

Jon said
https://sherpa.tax/
Seems like an interesting software, easy to use for the personal benefit section. Haven't try other parts through.  

Interesting, Jon. That looks really attractive, nice UI and overall UX. 🙂

Still, much like Gmail forced me off of desktop-based email clients with its slick UI and ease of use that resembled its desktop-based "brethen," SimpleTax did the same for me in terms of income tax software. And, I still like the idea of paying for it but I pay what I want based on my usage and how many returns I end up filing (for our household with 3-4 returns, I pay about $20). I don't want to be "dictated to" by how many returns I can file. 🙂

I still recommend SimpleTax over StudioTax and GenuTax. sf-cool

Cheers,
Doug

March 30, 2017
4:30 am
JenE
Members
Forum Posts: 416

Thanks Doug, for recommending Simple Tax. I filed my return yesterday.sf-laugh

March 30, 2017
8:23 am
fabafter50
Members
Forum Posts: 177

I was delighted to find that Turbo Tax this year can import all CRA data such as T-5's, T-4's, RRSP's etc. if you have a CRA account. Saved me so much time!
All slips were imported and put in proper placement.
Easy, peasy.sf-smile

March 30, 2017
8:39 am
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215

Thanks for the tip, fabafter50. I used to just import last year return and then enter data from current year. If you do not mind to point out where is that option so I do not screw up something...

March 31, 2017
3:30 pm
fabafter50
Members
Forum Posts: 177

SavingIsGood, the option will come up while you are doing your Turbo Tax return. When you get to the enter slips. It will ask you if you have a CRA account. It then will take you to the CRA account page and import the data. You don't have to exit the return process.
Wonderfully simple.sf-smile

April 6, 2017
3:04 pm
mmlt
Members
Forum Posts: 164

Doug said
StudioTax is OK and I commend them for revolutionizing the income tax software with their "free," open-source possibly, option with donations strongly encouraged business model.

That said, once you switch to SimpleTax, you won't want to go back. It's that good. 😉

Cheers,
Doug  

Thanks for SimpleTax!! I've been a long time user of StudioTax but Simple is .... dead simple.
I used both and compared results. The allocations for linked accounts were slightly different but the numbers otherwise were accurate.
Thanks again.

April 8, 2017
6:42 am
SavingIsGood
Banned
Forum Posts: 215

Thank you fabafter50. Correct, option to import tax data from CRA comes every time when I start TurboTax. Unfortunately CRA has no all relevant slips (yet) so manual input and verification is still required. All my RRSP contribution is missing; TT imported T4 even though I already had that info inputted. But, all in all it is not bad as double check but I would Never rely solely on it.

April 8, 2017
8:37 pm
Cranston
Members
Forum Posts: 206

After many years of Quick Tax and Turbo Tax I migrated from PC to Mac. And Turbo Tax does not offer a program that allows you to prepare and save you files on "your own" computer so I read.

So I used Studio Tax officially this year and must say it is more efficient in the running the splitting the income segment and allows all files to be on my computer. There are few things that you have to make notes for year to year reference and all in all a great program. Last year I emailed them for help a few times and always got an answer with in a day or so. It allows automatic calculation of income splitting and the download of your T slips from "My Account".

No permission to create posts

Please write your comments in the forum.