Top Rate as of 07MAR2014 | General comparisons | Discussion forum

Please consider registering

sp_LogInOut Log In sp_Registration Register

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

sp_Feed Topic RSS sp_TopicIcon
Top Rate as of 07MAR2014
March 8, 2014
7:02 am
bb123
Members
Forum Posts: 49
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline

There are so many threads it's hard to see what is really out there as far as top rate offerings any more. Too much chatter on FI's that pay low rates! I know there are some really good sites like Rates Supermarket http://www.ratesupermarket.ca/.....gic_rates/
which shows that Oaken seems to have the best short term GIC rates and Implicity has the best 1 to 6 year GIC rates, but I sometimes wonder if these sites are all inclusive. I'm sure they pay for advertising on these types of sites. And I know that FI's also have to pay to have their rates show on Cannex. So don't always assume that what is shown on even Cannex is all encompassing.

From what I can tell, the top savings accounts are Implicity, Accelerate and CDF at 1.90%. They each have there own nuances with ability to move funds, service fees, etc. But they are by far the best out there. Accelerate has just increased theirs to 1.90% but Implicity and CDF have been there for quite some time.

As for GIC's, the top rates, as many of you can predict, are the various Manitoba credit union offerings. Implicity has had the best rates for several months now but recently Accelerate, Achieva, Outlook, and Maxa have increased their rates to, for the most part, match Implicity. There are many that move their rates up and down for no apparent reason but for the most part, the above offerings are usually quite consistent. Implicity has only been around for a little more than a year now but they have been the most predictable and top of market ever since they came out. While this statement is fact, a word of warning is that I am a proud Implicity member so I may be a bit biased. I know they are a bit tardy with the EFT service offering but I'd rather they take their time and do it right than have a rushed effort and offer us something that doesn't work right. If it was easy everyone would already have it. Given the high quality of everything else they do, I'm sure their EFT service will be worth waiting for. (I hope).

There will be the odd special, etc., offered by many bricks and mortar FI's but my findings have been limited to virtual offerings as they tend to be the highest rates and obviously the easiest to become a member/customer of. I don't intend to update this list every day or week but others can chime in with what they also see. But SD2013, if you are reading this, please don't clutter this thread up with strip bond info or sub-par offerings. Please, please, please.

March 17, 2014
7:26 am
bb123
Members
Forum Posts: 49

From what I can see the following still offer the top Savings rates:

Implicity, Accelerate, CDF all offer 1.90%.

The Manitoba CU's continue to lead the way on GIC's. Implicity, Accelerate, and Maxa lead the way with the following:

1 Year 2.20%
2 Year 2.40%
3 Year 2.60%
4 Year 2.80%
5 Year 3.10%

Achieva is 5 to 10 basis lower on all term lengths while Outlook offers an extra 10 basis points on the 3 year term and 5 on the 4 year.

Implicity and Accelerate also offers a great 6 year rate at 3.15%. And the Manitoba CU system arguably offers the best deposit guarentee at 100% unlimited.sf-cool

The other thing I like about the Manitoba CU's is that most are predictable (except Hubert) and don't play the games of intro specials and then drastically reduce their rates after the special is over like DUCA and Oaken, CDF, etc.

bb123

March 17, 2014
10:46 am
kanaka
Members
Forum Posts: 1232

Here is a better site for rates.

http://www.baystreet.ca/intere.....rates.aspx

If you click the year on this one the highest rate comes to the top
http://www.financialpost.com/p.....nnual.html

March 17, 2014
5:18 pm
Loonie
Members
Forum Posts: 9242

Oaken has a 1 year GIC at 2.05%. The reason I mention it despite somewhat lower rate is that it is cashable after 90 days, apparently without penalty. I believe it only applies to non-registered accounts. $1000 minimum investment. $1000 minimum must remain in the account if you choose early redemption.
Always check for up-to-date details with the financial institution you are considering investing in. The rate tables online are not always completely accurate and may not tell the whole story, but are a great guide for getting started.

March 17, 2014
6:56 pm
Loonie
Members

Yes, I perceive this Oaken offer as a superior daily interest rate, as long as you can manage without the money for 90 days.

April 11, 2014
12:57 am
martin14
Members
Forum Posts: 32

If you click the year on this one the highest rate comes to the top
http://www.financialpost.com/p.....nnual.html

Nice find !

April 11, 2014
8:53 am
kanaka
Members
Forum Posts: 1232

Loonie said

Yes, I perceive this Oaken offer as a superior daily interest rate, as long as you can manage without the money for 90 days.

Hi where does the 90 days fit in?

April 11, 2014
10:34 am
Loonie
Members

This was a reference to the 1 year cashable GIC. You can cash it without penalty after 90 days, so, if you can manage to be without the money for 90 days, it is more or less equivalent to a guaranteed daily rate for a year.

Please write your comments in the forum.